18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 10:28 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Problems booking Newport Coast Villas week

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!  Has any owner had problems reserving their week 12 months in advance?  It just took me over 20 minutes of constant calling to finally get through to an agent and then 10 more minutes on hold, for her to inform me that everything was booked up and there was nothing open.  This was on Thursday morning at 8am Central time when they open up the weeks 12 months in advance.  She then told me she would check again, and then out of the blue(another 5 minutes later), something opened up...then she said how lucky I was and how it would be nice for me to fill out the survey on her and send it to her manager. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have our week booked, but something just seemed a bit fishy...especially since the SAME exact thing happened last year.  Was nothing really available at first, or did she just make me wait, so then I would be overly impressed with her help???   It makes me wonder, and if this is the case, no wonder it is so hard to get through to an agent, if they are making people wait to "see if something opens up".  I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

• Re: Problems booking Newport Coast Villas week
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I currently own two weeks, although not at Newport Coast Villas. I have always found that when booking, it is easier (and less time consuming) to do it online through the Owners website at MVC. (www.my-vacationclub.com)

Once logged in, you can click on 'check availability'. It takes you directly to your weeks available (and past usage) and lets you do everything from booking, exchanging or trading for points....and it's very quick. It certainly avoids the possibility of someone 'playing' with availability.

Years ago, I used to make the same phone calls and had a similar experience. Since that call, I have exclusively transacted online every year since and have not had one bad experience doing it that way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hearty congratulations on your year-in-advance reservation at Newport Coast villas. It's very reassuring to hear that since MVCI's announcement a month ago to discontinue selling weeks-based vacation ownership in favor of points like Hilton Grand Vacations Club, that an MVC owner is successful in reserving at their home resort.

Depending upon where you reside*, Marriott may or may not have sent you marketing materials or an offer about the new Destination Points usage option.  And, you may or may not have been contacted directly about converting your resort-based week to points.

Based upon owner feedback here, at Timeshare Users Group and Marriott on the Move**, Bill Marriott's blog, the pendulum of positive referrals about vacation ownership with Marriott has swung the other way.  Being "thrilled" is not exactly the word used to describe the types of issues and concerns that owners are experiencing with Marriott these days.

Aside from the fact that I could never get through to the owner services rep I was assigned, someone would always respond and be helpful.  Perhaps the launch of the new program generated a plethora of questions exascerbating wait times?

Just yesterday I learned that the American Resort Development Association (ARDA) sponsored legislation in the state of Florida that was successfully passed in 2009.  The legislation, HB 61 enables transient rental of timeshares w/o timeshare owners incurring a tax liability on the exchange fees.***

In effect, the legislation creates incentive for timeshare developers to increase the inventory available for rentals and charge exorbitant exchange fees for same w/o incurring a tax liability. How this law affects tax liability for transient rental of timeshare in other state jurisdictions is a chapter yet to be written.  For now, it's perfectly legal in Florida.

So, before depositing your week with Florida-based Interval International or converting to points with Florida-based Marriott Vacation Club, weigh the odds:  Wait for 20 or so minutes w/ Owner Services in Utah to occupy at your home resort and luck out; or perhaps not at all?

* State & Legal Disclosure

** Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility

*** Florida Legislature Passes Bill to Ensure Timeshare Exchange Not Subject to Tax

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I too tried to book online, but since I have Safari, it would not allow me to...hence, that is why I was doing it over the phone.  I haven't read up much on the new points system...I haven't even received anything in the mail.  How does this effect owners?  Thanks for any info.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lakeshore

The new program is points-based, not Marriott Rewards points.  What you currently own at Newport Coast is a week of timeshare.  Marriott discontinued selling weeks-based ownership.   That's the biggest difference and the impact of this decision is what 'legacy owners' are concerned about. For example, Newport Coast is among several resorts in phased development.  Future phases will not be weeks-based.  How does that impact your ability to reserve, exchange or trade?  Who gets priority villa assignments?  And, how does this decision impact your annual maintenance fees?

The promotional materials are outlined at MVCI.com  Hopefully Safari supports that.  Safari does support Insiders, otherwise you would not be able to post.  For starters, consider browsing through the discussion here at Insiders, Re: MVC Owners Not Happy with New Program for additional background and take a look at many owner comments posted at Marriott on the Move, Bill Marriott's blog.  Several Newport Coast owners contributed their thoughts as well.

Best regards and keep posting.  Be candid and let us know your thoughts and questions.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Last year I had the same issue when booking my week at Desert Springs I. I was on the phone as the clock struck the witching hour and I was shut out of all my desired dates.

Seems to me the only way this could happen would be if 1) others got to the service rep before me (unlikely) or 2) those that own two weeks were able to snag all of the desireable dates the previous month, which I also think is unlikely.

redpony Gold 4 Reviews

I also had a problem trading into Newport Coast this year.  I deposited my week and made the request, then waited for a month or more without a response.  Finally, I called and was told I had deposited a lock-off space (which, of course, I knew already) and that I'd have to wait until just a couple of weeks before my requested dates to find out if I'd get it.  Why they didn't mention that when I deposited/requested I don't know.

At any rate, I simply changed from the lock-off to the main unit and, presto, they finalized the transaction immediately.  I think it comes down to knowing which questions to ask, and, apparently, they don't volunteer all the information!

Enjoy Newport...we'll be there in October.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I simply changed from the lock-off to the main unit and, presto, they finalized the transaction immediately.  I think it comes down to knowing which questions to ask, and, apparently, they don't volunteer all the information!"

Greetings Redpony and welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders

None of my legacy weeks with MVC have the lockoff, but other family members I've referred do.  Any clue how conversion to Destination Points impact owners with lock-off units?  Does the lockoff increase the point trade value?

Great question!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

My parents own 2 weeks there, and they go through this fiasco every single year.  13 months in advance, they do the 6am phone calls just to get the weeks they want, and a room with an ocean view (many rooms do not have one - they look out onto another building - lovely).  This year, they didn't get August.  Had to settle for September.  Then when they're promised the room in the building they want with the view they want, when they check in, they've been switched.  It seems like my mom has to go through this ugly and uncomfortable fiasco every single year, just to get what she paid for in the first place.  Why would anyone want to buy a timeshare if they have to go through this fiasco just to stay in their property?  What a way to book and then start a vacation - every year.  When they get what they want (what they paid for in the first place), it's lovely for the rest of us staying as their guests.  But how awful for them.  I don't want to have to go through that kind of hell every year to acquire a nice vacation.  The booking experience should be more pleasant.  For me, no thanks.  It's just not good PR.  I also had a similar experience paying for a vacation weekend (with the sales presentation) there.  They booked me, then switched my weekend.  Guess what?  No refunds.  I'll do my stay, and will enjoy myself.  But as for buying?  Why on Earth would I?  Nice property.  Nice location.  Really horrible customer service in this particular regard.  Business transactions should be pleasant and not akin to mud wrestling.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Why would anyone want to buy a timeshare if they have to go through this fiasco just to stay in their property?"

"What a way to book and then start a vacation - every year.  When they get what they want (what they paid for in the first place), it's lovely for the rest of us staying as their guests.  But how awful for them.  I don't want to have to go through that kind of hell every year to acquire a nice vacation."

"The booking experience should be more pleasant.  For me, no thanks.  It's just not good PR.  I also had a similar experience paying for a vacation weekend (with the sales presentation) there.  They booked me, then switched my weekend.  Guess what?  No refunds.  I'll do my stay, and will enjoy myself.  But as for buying?  Why on Earth would I?  Nice property.  Nice location.  Really horrible customer service in this particular regard. "

lorifleenor

First of all, welcome to Insiders and thanks for being so candid about your family's timeshare experience.

IMO, a memorable vacation experience begins with planning the itinerary and booking the reservation.  As illustrated by your story, expectations are set at the time of reservations.  That said, it's very clear that Marriott International understands that; and Marriott Vacation Club has some gaps to fill in service delivery.  Owners occupying their home resort in their season have top priority for select villa assignments.  However, owners with multiple weeks at the home resort have a higher priority.

In the latter scenario, it is feasible that owners with multiple weeks at Newport Coast Villas can 'bump' owners with a single week.  Owners with multiple weeks at the home resort plus multiple weeks at other MVC resorts have even higher priority.

All of these scenarios are based upon earlier experience.  Without prior notification or warning, on June 20, 2010 Marriott Vacation Club changed the ground rules.  Theoretically, the rules that pertain to legacy owners are still active.  In a mature resorts like many in Orlando or Hilton Head Island which have  been sold out a decade or longer its likely to be true.  But, at Newport Coast Villas, a resort that is in phased development, there will be pressure from Destination Points program.

The challenge your parents endure is likely to worsen.  What's really tragic is that legacy villas at resorts still in development cannot be put up for resale through Marriott Resales until the resort is sold out.  Depending upon the state where your parents (the owners of record) live it behooves you to understand the impact that Destination Points program will actually have for legacy owners at Newport Coast Villas.

Same thing happened to me last December at Aruba Surf Club. I had a reservation for ocean view (not ocean front) and even verified it by looking at the reservation within the Marriott system by using the confirmation number.

Two days before my arrival I checked the reservation again and suddenly it showed "garden view", which is where we were placed.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Same thing happened to me last December at Aruba Surf Club. I had a reservation for ocean view (not ocean front) and even verified it by looking at the reservation within the Marriott system by using the confirmation number.

Two days before my arrival I checked the reservation again and suddenly it showed "garden view", which is where we were placed."

According to the T&C's,  Elite preferences at Marriott Vacation Club brand are excluded.  MVCI does not participate.  Final villa assignments are done on site about a week or two prior.

Regards booking priority for legacy owners, here's the order for room preference at Marriott's Ocean Watch.  The order is fairly typical across MVCI.  However, how the new Destination Points program will affect booking priority is unknown and a frequently asked question.

For priority order at a specific MVCI resort, contact the Front Desk at the resort.

1. OceanWatch Owner on home usage occupancy– contiguous stay (consecutive or concurrent stay) With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

2. OceanWatch Owner on home usage occupancy– single week stay With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

3. OceanWatch Owner Exchanging Back into OceanWatch– contiguous stay (consecutive of concurrent stay) With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

4. OceanWatch Owner Exchanging Back into OceanWatch– single week stay With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

5. MVCI Owner Exchange – contiguous stay (consecutive or concurrent stay) With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

6. MVCI Owner Exchange – single week stay With like requests, owners with the highest # of owned home unit weeks receive priority Then those with the highest # of owned MVCI unit weeks

7. Elite Renter or Marriott Rewards Certificate stay – Marriott Reward Elite Status, Platinum, Gold, Silver

8.Preview Rental Guest Reservations

9.Rental (with no Marriott Rewards elite status)

10.Interval International External Exchange

As one can see, the highest priority is given to owners with multiple weeks staying at their home resort.  Platinum, Gold and Silver Elite have a level playing field and rank 7th in priority.  Since Marriott Vacation Club changed the ground rules on June 20th, legacy owners are likely to be competing with owners who buy into the Destination Points program or convert.  One can be a Lifetime Platinum member with 150 nights per year on business, redeem 45,000 points per night for a 2 bedroom villa at Crystal Shores on Marco Island and get bumped to the ground floor facing the parking lot.

It's worth noting that in the Destination Points program, there is no home resort per se.  If anyone knows what the new ground rules are, thanks in advance for sharing them.

Man, you have some incredible inside information. I guess that's why this board is called Marriottrewards "insiders".

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I guess that's why this board is called Marriottrewards "insiders"."

The question is, where in Marriott's strategy do Destination Club points fit in?

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Has any owner had problems reserving their week 12 months in advance?  It just took me over 20 minutes of constant calling to finally get through to an agent and then 10 more minutes on hold, for her to inform me that everything was booked up and there was nothing open."

Lakeshore

There's a whole new crop of owner comments at Marriott on the Move.* This owner, a school teacher and charter Marriott Rewards member posted on July 29th and shares a very challenging experience reserving their week at their home resort, Newport Coast Villas.

Heads up, Andrew.  The MVC owner would like his money back.  This circumstance stretches the efficacy of a referral to customer.care@marriott.com  Any suggestions?  Who will take ownership and respond to this feedback?

"My wife and I are yearly summer vacationers to So Cal (30 years)so we bought a platinum 1 week at Newport coast Villas 4 years ago. We were told we'd have "years of enjoyment for children and grandchildren".

After $32k, we can't get our home resort in July because it's popular.I got up at 5:45 AM to be ready for 6AM release of units and got a "jammed" website while I waited 9 minutes for my "advisor" When the phone rep answered at 6:09 I was told "they're all gone for the one year out week.

I feel this is fraud because we were NOT TOLD we had to fight every year for a chance for our home resort summer rental. (We are not retired and as a school teacher I only have late June or July).

We went to a "meeting" regarding the new points and were regretting our decision to buy Marriott at all.

We have been frequent Marriott hotel customers for 25 years and thought a timeshare would be a good thing but now we would love to get our money back. 32k would have paid for many years of nice hotel rooms not requiring 1 year advance bookings.

Incidentally we were told that Marriott oversold Newport (summer months are very popular.) Why are there still signs for sales and preview "Open Models" outside the resort?

Why can't Marriott offer HOME RESORT owners a preference or advantage. Now we also paying maintenance fees for someone else to enjoy the resort. And we're missing an opportunity to join your points program??"

* Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility, Marriott on the Move

klaus29 Silver

i remember  last  year my timeschare  selling  tour

in  phuket. the  lady  explaine me clairement you dont

can buy a week here.  for 33000  platium  points

45000 us  dollars  and  maintenance fee from 1650.

when i ask  sche i can  go to phuket  ewery year

answer yes  and  no  when you  make your  reservation

very early  possible  you  have a change.

and  then  mr  klaus  whe dont  have only phuket

you  can make a reservation in all  the  world.

why  this tour  in phuket?? i anderstand  its a very 

nice place, but  i am not sure the buyer  anderstand

realement  he  buy  nathing in phuket. yes  only points.

and the  best argumentation from the  seller ,the points

are  valide in all  the  world.

the  are good in all the  world   yes

BUT  ONLY  THERE  WHERE A RESIDENDE IS  AVAIBLE

and  when  you  get  nathing for your  33000 platium

points, you  get  99000 points from  marriott  rewards.

with 99000 points  you can stay in a hotel room,

7 nights categorie 3,  but not in a villa  same in phuket.

WHAT POINT SYSTEME IS THAT????

today  when you buy you neet   33000 platium

points  for your stay , when you  have  luck  in phuket.

how  many points you neet  in 2or 5 years?

33000points  or  more?

THIS IS FOR THE NEW  BUYER

and  for you the owner  what  buy  alredy lontime  your

week or  weeks,  you have to accept this point systeme?

exuse my china englisch  please.

Regarding TJC's comment on the couple that were unable to book  the week they wanted, I have to come to Marriott's defense because my owners material does state that the date I select may not be available and that multiple dates should be submitted when attempting to reserve a week. If Marriott couldn't book them with several alternate dates, then I would say there is an issue.

I've just gotten so used to it over the decades that it doesn't bother me anymore.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"my owners material does state that the date I select may not be available and that multiple dates should be submitted when attempting to reserve a week. If Marriott couldn't book them with several alternate dates, then I would say there is an issue."

That's a reasonable defense; but, that's not what owner services explained to the owner (based upon the owner's narrative).  The important point the owner is making concerns trust in the brand and the expectations that come with it.

In this instance, the owner and his wife have a life-long relationship with Marriott.  The trust engenders a level of confidence that compelled them to purchase a Marriott timeshare at $32K in platinum season at Newport Coast villas.

Like so many other owners, they were assured of reserving their preferred week, only to find out 12 months in advance that it is unavailable.  Owners are supposed to have priority at their home resort.  Let's not lose sight that Marriott Vacation Club changed the ground rules and has discontinued selling weeks-based vacation ownership.

After enjoying 3 years distinction on the Most Ethical Company List, what business behaviors came to light that caused Marriott to be dropped in 2010?*  Along those lines, how is it that Hilton outperformed Marriott as the brand with the best loyalty program?**  Connecting the dots, all of these facts are extremely disappointing to brand loyalists who have patronized Marriott for business and leisure.

Perhaps, there is merit to their perceptions that Marriott oversold choice weeks at Newport Coast Villas?  It's truly challenging to find a defense for that, IMO.

* Marriott Dropped | 2010 Most Ethical Companies

** Brand Scorecard: Is Hilton Overtaking Marriott?

Update 8/31: I have multiple weeks on deposit with Interval and opted to use Interval's ShortStay Exchange.  ShortStays allows owners to convert 1 week of 7 nights into 2 shortstay vacations anywhere from 2 nights to 6 nights.  In effect, Shortstays enables Marriott owners to convert 7 nights into 12 nights, a net gain of 5 nights.  This year, I elected to do just that. I booked 2 back-to-back 6-night shortstays at two resorts located in the same destination straddling the Labor Day holiday.

The upcoming reservations triggered a telephone call from Marriott Pre-Arrival.  The conversation was very disconcerting. The ultimate purpose of the call was to schedule a sales preview tour of the new Destination Vacation Club, Marriott's non-Marriott-Rewards points-based program.

The pre-arrival rep stated, "Owners should consider converting their weeks because it will get very difficult to reserve since Marriott will control Interval inventory." Although very alarmed at the statement and the ploy to threaten owners, I remained polite and asked, "How long have you been with Marriott?" The pre-arrival rep stated, "About 8 months."

According to the Marriott's State and Legal Disclosure, the Destination program is not yet registered with the State of New York.   The rep did not even ask what state I live in!  Clearly, turnover and gaps in training new sales reps is rearing it's head.

To that point, I contacted the rep's superior and learned that the rep is not following the 'script' and that what I was told was not correct. The superior stated that there is a training issue and that steps would be taken to correct the situation.  I applaud Marriott for taking such steps.

The lesson learned is to establish who you are speaking with and to question what doesn't sound correct.   (A euphemism for 'breach of contract')

*** State and Legal Disclosure

New York

As of June 2010, the prices of weeks for the following resorts are as follows: Marriott’s Aruba Ocean Club range from $19,100 to $52,400; Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club range from $14,085 to $92,000; Marriott’s Barony Beach Club range from $6,200 to $46,500; Marriott’s BeachPlace Towers range from $13,320 to $32,800; Marriott’s Crystal Shores range from $12,699 to $94,300, Marriott’s Custom House range from $15,740 to $31,500; Marriott’s Cypress Harbour range from $9,660 to $18,400; Marriott’s Fairway Villas at Seaview range from $15,500 to $25,100; Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove range from $17,235 to 83,400; Marriott’s Grand Chateau range from $11,400 to $72,900; Marriott’s Grande Ocean range from $8,900 to $46,500; Grande Vista range from $8,203 to $35,900; Marriott’s Harbour Lake range from $12,840 to $26,400; Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony range from $5,340 to $25,300; Marriott’s Ocean Pointe range from $14,700 to $60,500; Marriott’s Oceana Palms range from $24,720 to $80,500; Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas range from $8,820 to $47,900; Marriott’s St. Kitts Beach Club range from $13,440 to $96,800. Marriott’s SurfWatch range from $7,900 to $73,900; and Marriott’s Villas at Doral range from $7,140 to $26,900. Prices are subject to change.

THE COMPLETE OFFERING TERMS ARE IN AN OFFERING PLAN AVAILABLE FROM SPONSOR.

These projects are registered projects with the Real Estate Financing Bureau, Department of Law. The other projects referenced within this site are not considered an offer to New York residents.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...