2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2010 11:01 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

My Summer Story

eraserman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Twenty-Five years ago, I and my lovely wife Jackie were married.  I took her to Hawaii for our Honeymoon.  Several years after we were married, our first child, Amanda, was born.  Two years later came our Daughter, Sarah, was born, and two years after that, our Son Jared.

After our first child was born, Jackie and I agreed that she would be a "stay-at-home" Mom and raise our children without the benefit of babysitters, nannies or nurseries.  It was a good decision.  We had to give up half our family income when we made the decision, but having my wife home to teach them to read, and write and be polite was invaluable to our family in later years.  Anyway.............now to our "Summer Story".

In my job, I travel quite a bit, and when I do, I always try to take advantage of staying at a Marriott Hotel to gain rewards points.  I had decided years before that the ONLY way I and my wife were ever going to be able to have a romantic vacation together one day, was for me to save enough of them to go somewhere nice.  Year after year, we always took a small family vacation.............but more often than not, it was for the kids more than she and I.  That was alright though.  We enjoyed pouring memories into their lives because we doing so, we were pouring into ours also.

In earnestness, I began to save for one huge vacation for just she and I, but it had to be significant and memorable.  We had saved every penny for our Children's college educations, and one by one, they went through grade school...........then high school, and finally on to college.  2010 was the year our final child graduated from high school.  It is also the year that our oldest Daughter, Amanda graduated from college, and is to be married (September 04, 2010).  Our Middle child, Sarah would now be in her Senior year at Bowling Green State University...........and last of all, It was Jackie and I's 25th Wedding Anniversary.

After years of saving, I finally had enough Rewards Points for the vacation we had dreamed of and if you have not already guessed it...........I was taking her back to Hawaii where it all began.  If it were not for the reward points, it would not have been possible because of the expense.  We had the most wonderful 10 days of bliss we have had in our lives..........(Well, except for watching our children born and grow into absolutely wonderful young adults.)  We stayed the entire time on the island of Maui at the Wailea Marriott Resort.  It was like our marriage was rejuvinated and begun anew.  We got to do everything we wanted to do and see but best of all, I fell in love with my lovely wife all over again. 

Without Marriott Rewards, we would have never had the opportunity otherwise.  I told my Wife that once I have saved enough Reward Points for one more really nice vacation..................I am going to retire from my job where I have already worked more than 30 years.  Maybe next time to Europe?  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Wailea - Maui, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: My Summer Story
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Excellent story, Eraserman!

Next time, I think it would be hard not to go back to Hawaii where it all began!!!  And, I'm a lover of Europe more so than Hawaii!!! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My Summer Story
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Eraserman

great story.  I vote you as the winner.  You and your briode are a lucky couple!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...