24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2010 10:31 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott Slides To Second Place in Loyalty Poll

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Very disappointing, Insiders.  Marriott slid to 2nd place in an industry loyalty poll with Hilton taking the lead.  Read about it, here.  Any thoughts?

• Re: Marriott Slides To Second Place in Loyalty Poll
    kahunapremier Platinum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kahunapremier Platinum

I would give Hilton this nod over marriott.

When checking out of a Hilton, you get your receipt (just like marriott) and you also get later on (day later or so) a PDF file attached to your profile for that stay. You can even do a search and find that PDF representing your receipt-WHICH IS WAY cool.

For Marriott, when you check out you get an email. Okay, if for some strange reason you delete that receipt, you can't get that back, unless you call and request that receipt. It would be wise for marriott to consider an option similar to Hilton's keeping a historical PDF (doesn't take bandwidth and storage) would bring a better value as you can always go back and see what the receipt was.

Basically, Hilton is managing the stays from front end to back end. Marriott just sends an email.

That being said, Marriott has a much cleaner and better system and does a much better job of tracking profiles. Hilton isn't as dynamic and there isn't much intelligence in terms of identity management.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

weld3z Platinum

I just love Marriott and hate to see it in the 2nd place, but for me its time to try some other chains why ok here is the reasons

1- I cant got Marriott credit card ask for it in my country (Dubai) many times but no way its hard to stay with a chain without credit card.

2- They treat USA people in different good why for example why i cant got my bill sent to my e-mail after checkout !! just why i call them and they told me this service is only available in USA really now is this a joke !!

3- In my opinion if Marriott well not care about hotels out side USA and UK it well be a big mistake for them you want an example ? sure here is one in london there is 3 hotels in the same area in a country like Lebanon there is NO 1 Marriott hotel you want another one i know you want ok in Dubai there is 4 Marriott hotel in excellent conditions, but in a country like Netherlands There is 2 but its rubbish highest price small rooms !!

Dubai is a city in UAE NOT MORE THAN 200 km

4- I'm platinum oh really!! but sorry Marriott when i checkin in any of your hotels i don't feel that i'm special its just a pice of plastic card.

but some other hotels which i'm not silver with them the reception person come with you to the room welcome you and ask you if you like the room or no (we as platinum gusts should feel we are important to you Marriott so treat us better).

i spent more than 9000 USD this year and around the same if not more last year i should get more than this plastic card

for example i'm now in london regent park staying from 13-30 for holiday with my family payed more than 7000 USD only in this stay, i well not talk about upgrade i well not talk about gifts i well not talk about internet(because i don't got any of them)  but yes Marriott i paid 17 pound for breakfast why because i should go to the lounge and yes i cant enter there because i have baby so i order MY FREE break fast to my room and yes i did the payment what is the difference between having my FREE breakfast there or in my room?? please some one answer this

dont call me platinum gust any more please because i paid for my breakfast so i'm not.

is this enough ?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I rarely even get the email receipt, so when I have to talk to someone about missing points I invariably have to get together all my papers and go to my office to fax them.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"They treat USA people in different good"

Weld3z

Personnally, that statement is extremely disturbing.  A guest from Dubai staying in London, the US or China is a guest! While I do not expect cookie-cutter hospitality of Marriott, I do expect that each property will deliver excellent service accented by the rich cultural traditions of the location and the diversity of associates that Marriott is renown for.  Many associates from all over the world are brought to the US for cross-training.  Perhaps that creates an overly US-centric organization?  While conjecture, the management framework should not be a legitimate excuse for what you describe.

According to several financial reports published since the new president of Marriott International took the lead, MI is in the process of decentralizing into regional business units.  For example, a new management team was appointed to head an office in Brazil.  Unfortunately, the cherry-picking excludes Marriott Vacation Club, a very troubled division and brand these days.

As with any management reorganization, a positive impact at the guest level will take time.  So consider writing Customer.Care@Marriott.com with Disappointing Guest Experience @ London Regent Park Confirmation #[12345678] in the Subject and describe in detail what you and your family are experiencing compared with your expectations as a guest with Platinum Elite status.

Customer.Care will acknowledge your note and forward it to the management office of the London Regent Park for action.  Do let us know what happens.  Good luck and thank you for participating in Insiders.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I rarely even get the email receipt, so when I have to talk to someone about missing points I invariably have to get together all my papers and go to my office to fax them."

Greetings Professor!

With summer break in full swing, I trust you will have oodles of time to write Customer.Care@Marriott.com and make known your disappointment with wasting time on Missing Stay Requests!  Given the number you have reported, do consider asking for compensation for the inconvenience in the form of Bonus Points.  Since bonus points have to be approved at the property level, you will have to contact Customer.Care for each and every property in question.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Hilton is managing the stays from front end to back end."

Greetings KahunaPremier!

While I think I know what you mean by that statement, perhaps elaborating will help us and those at Marriott 'listening' to consider the feasibility of making changes that will improve guest relations after check-out.

I think your point is very well taken.  Guest relations is an end-to-end experience that starts with the Reservations experience and follows-through with details like e-folio when a stay is completed.  I would go as far to suggest that every Marriott check-out statement for all brands include 2 comments:

• Share your recent guest experience by emailing Customer.Care@Marriott.com
    • Enter the Summer Story Contest at MarriottRewardsInsiders.com and win 50,000 points

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC, I really am genuinely sorry to hear that result. I was once a #1 Marriott fan for many years. However Marriott must have a lot of angry customers considering the bad way in which they have treated their timeshare owners.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

As a charter member of Marriott Marquis aka Honored Guest aka Marriott Rewards, Marriott hotels, resorts and timeshare have been a huge part of my life for more than a quarter of a century.

In fact, I brought my family along on a business trip and industry conference in the early 90's.  The trade association had a program for spouses and children.  I was able to book connecting rooms and redeem points at a full service Marriott.  This offset the cost substantially and not break the bank.   It was on that trip that my wife and I decided to take a preview tour.  We were so pleased with what we saw and recognized the value of vacation ownership immediately.  We came home MVC owners.

Although we have taken numerous sales tours with Hilton Grand Vacations, Wyndham and others,  none of these brands came close to offering an integrated product like Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club.  The ability to use MR points - which we were already familiar with and enjoyed - was the major benefit we agreed made vacation ownership with Marriott worthwhile.

Since there are over 32 million members in Marriott Rewards, it is highly likely that MVC sales reps effectively prospected business travelers like me who are 'point junkies'.  We got a huge fix of points as an incentive to buy, that I decided to buy more weeks to fill the bank.

The most recent turn of events with MVC going rogue combined with several other factors suggests it's time for detox.  Come off the high point and rethink where the Marriott brand is going before the slide worsens.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Not being a MVI owner, I'm just curious as to how the hit the MVI owners are currently taking compares to the changes in redemption points that the typical MR members got hit with for hotel redemptions last year?

LOL! I, too, was an original member and just recently started using my Marriott Marquis luggage tags to replace some broken tags!  Laughing

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Not being a MVI owner, I'm just curious as to how the hit the MVI owners are currently taking compares to the changes in redemption points that the typical MR members got hit with for hotel redemptions last year?"

Depending upon one's focus and community preference (Timeshare Users Group, Insiders, Marriott on the Move, FlyerTalk) it varies.  I've been a business traveller, Marriott Rewards member and point junkie at least 12 years longer than becoming a Marriott Vacation Club owner.  So my focus and community preference is definitely on Marriott Rewards and Marriott International.  Therefore, Insiders and Marriott on the Move aligns best with my interests.  Intuitively, there are probably a large number of MVCI owners who potentially fall into the same bucket.  Overtime focus changes.  For example, long time business travellers loyal to one brand, may continue with the brand into leisure/retirement or be open to explore multiple brands.  For some, Disney Vacation Club or Hilton Grand Vacation Club works better for their needs.

Now that Marriott Vacation Club has discontinued selling resort weeks-based vacation ownership in favor of points disconnected from Marriott Rewards, Marriott has effectively undermined the value of being loyal to the brand in favor of gaining access to a potentially larger group of prospects - non MR members - IMO.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

Lately, I too very rarely get the e-mail receipt. I can also say that when calling the rewards line to have a missing stay looked into, I was treated as though I was trying to have a stay credited to my account and had not stayed at the hotel. After providing them with the hotel receipt it was inferred that I created the bill myself and the stay wasn't credited. It wasn't until the general manager of the hotel got involved that I was credited the two missing nights. Rewards member customer service is not what it used to be, that's for sure!!!!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"It wasn't until the general manager of the hotel got involved that I was credited the two missing nights.

Welcome back RCRodgersJr and thanks for participating.

Last year, my wife and I returned to a property we enjoyed several times prior.  As before the 3-night stay was a 10/10.  When the e-folio didn't show up and the points weren't posted, I called Guest Relations.  W/ the Confirmation #, GR called the property to verify.  FD confirmed, but stated the charges were reversed.  I informed GR that was incorrect.  The charges were transferred to a different credit card at check out.

Due to the economy, there was significant turnover at the property. This, coupled w/insufficient training created another problem, the new FD associate processed the charge, but did not attach my Marriott Rewards ID# to the transaction.   The GM was also new and had yet to receive training on buying/posting Marriott Rewards points. The process took multiple phone calls and e-mails over a week, plus.  In addition to apologizing, the GM offered bonus points to compensate for the oversight and inconvenience I experienced.

While I can definitely understand how a testy conversation can result in the impression, "Rewards member customer service is not what it used to be," the lesson learned is that there is a guest relations 'chain' that depends heavily upon FD associates experience, knowledge and training.  Poor training can be very costly to an organization and can result in the impression(s) you and others describe.

The results of the loyalty poll where Hilton out performed Marriott speaks for itself.  Processing Missing Stays might seem like a very small matter.   Guest relations is end-to-end.  An organization at all levels must deliver upon guest expectations to duly earn 1st place, IMO.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

I couldn't agree more TJC!!! There is always someone waiting in the wings to satisfy a disgruntled Platinum member, evidenced by Hilton surpassing Marriott rewards. I certainly hope that Marriott does whatever it needs to in order to become number one again.

cheriooo Platinum

I have been a business travel staying at marriott for better part of 20 years being platinum elite for the last 7 yrs,    I am not surprised that marriott droped to number 2.  Last year was a tough year for hotels and properties tried to cost and corners every which way.  The little things that certain properties used to do were stoped.  Even though I stay at the same few properties all the time I feel nothing special and the little things they did are gone.  The email bill thing people point out is hit or miss for me.  Calling the 800# to get copy after you leave is very long.  I have thought a number of times of switching to Hilton but just never took that step

rcrodgersjr Platinum

As an FYI Cherioooo, I always call the hotel directly and they are more than glad to fax (my preference) or e-mail a copy of the final bill to you. I have had a number of acquaintances switch to Hilton and I understand completely only time will tell.

yonghu Platinum

I agree that dealing with missing credit was one of areas I wish Marriott could improve. While I had quite a few of that in the past, I noticed that it did not happen to me so far this year. So, Marriott is probably already working on reducing it now?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you TJCNewYork. I'm also a charter Marquis member, own a MVCI as well as Marriott stock. Two years ago I earned lifetime Platinum and until the devaluation, was also a points junkie.

I still believe strongly in the Marriott brand and always look forward to my stays, the latest being the CE in Paris (always a good time).

I can see how loyal Marriott customers have been put-off by recent changes and can only hope that Marriott does right by them to get things back on track. To do this right they need to pay particular attention to the wants and needs of their loyal's, by listening to them, not reading over survey results given to them by some disconnected consulting group. We all know what happened the last time that took place.

As for me, I'll stick by Marriott in hopes of better days ahead.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"get things back on track"

MikiegFLA

Based upon the market's positive reaction to Marriott International's 2nd Qtr Financials where profit tripled from a year ago, to 'get things back on track' depends on which side of the tracks you're on.  From the guest view, the results from the poll suggests more satisfying Elite pastures on the other side of the tracks.  For legacy owners, the most recent comments at Marriott on the Move speak for themselves.

james30 Platinum

MikiegFLA, good to see you back.  I, too, hope there will be better times ahead.  I think sticking with the basics for MR instead of adding a new twist and turn everyday would be a good place to start.  And, of course, the double hit with point evaluation and upgrading hotel categories has not helped customer satisfaction.  I think Marriott International is putting most of the emphasis on the "International."  Hilton has long been considered a better managed organization by many analysts but it often takes longer to get a true read from customers.

Again, good to see you hear and hopefully ChazDawg will return soon.  I hope people's disagreeing with him did not drive him away permanently.  That would be sad as everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I, too, hope there will be better times ahead.  I think sticking with the basics for MR instead of adding a new twist and turn everyday would be a good place to start."

Welcome back James 30.

One of your ideas expressed in Promotion Programs might have made a huge difference (in the poll) had Marriott considered implementing it.  To recap, you suggested that Elite be given the option to select which promotion works best (for the individual) vs. Marriott throwing the dice with "targeted" promos.

Giving loyal Elite the choice to 'express' their loyalty makes sense.  There are scores of messages expressing this theme in several different ways.   Marriott could have found many clever ways to put a new spin on 'DIY' or 'BYO'.

You posted towards the end of March 2010, the height of community activity before the Insiders nosedive of April 1st.  In fact, the 'site challenges'; namely locating posted content via MyProfile or Search made it impossible to continue discussion on Promotion Programs or locate numerous related messages illustrating the efficacy of the idea and how positive reception would likely be if implemented.

Ironically, Marriott Rewards Insiders got ahead of itself?  Or, ahead of the community? Or, lost sight of the importance of Elite-generated content in favor of bells and whistles that didn't work?  (I digress, sorry)

To that very point, ChazDawg expressed a minority view (to which he is entitled).

Anyways, Promotion Programs contains a wonderful idea with great potential.  I invite you to consider resurrecting the discussion anticipating a groundswell that would help Marriott Rewards regain 1st Place.

Cheers!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I was once a #1 Marriott fan for many years. However Marriott must have a lot of angry customers considering the bad way in which they have treated their timeshare owners."

LesliePamel,

Another MVC owner just forwarded this email:

"I have the understanding that the timeshare group in Orlando is closing their offices and will be moving to the Bethesda Marriott campus.  Not sure of the timeframe other than the move is being planned."

Although this report is yet to be confirmed, aligning Marriott Vacation Club more closely with Marriott International suggests better levels of accountability for owner advocacy in the same way that lodging handles guest relations.

Only time will tell.  Let's hope we'll be reading about this in the press soon.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

I'm not sure what's happened to Marriott customer service on all fronts over the past year or so, but I hope this is a sign that someone has knocked some sense into them as far as their most loyal customers are concerned.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'm not sure what's happened to Marriott customer service on all fronts over the past year or so, but I hope this is a sign that someone has knocked some sense into them as far as their most loyal customers are concerned."

Agreed.  The feedback continues to roll in unabated.  In the latest crop of comments at Marriott on the Move*, one poster poses a challenge about "listen(ing) to the customer" :

"Dear Bill; I read thru all the posts, from the point of view as a Marriott Rewards since 1984-- and a 4 week Timeshare owner. I hope you have read them as well. Many of us have and do hold positions similar to your own during our working lifetime. Sometimes, we forget what makes a company special in the eyes of the end user. We forget we need to " listen" to the customer. If you have truly read the blog , while sailing around the Greek Isles with your family, you realize that the great product(s) produced by your companies, have allowed you and your family to enjoy that vacation. As one who pays the bills, I believe there is a crisis in progress, and you need to remove a few layers of Mgt. between yourself and us and start listening. Stop reading your staff's surveys that can be made to make even rotten eggs seem wonderful. First the rental program, then the MR points, then this new idea, which is a smokescreen for Marriott to begin a long term takeover plan of the sold out or soon to be sold out properties. I salute you for your destination points diversion, but I will be talking to my board members at two of those sold out properties educating them that , it is a takeover game, so long term, Marriott goalis to control OP, GV and the choice Hawaian properties, not the timeshare owners. Your silence over the blog says volumes. Take control, get out and talk to the folks on the blog--- not your staff, you, then "you" can judge the extent of the mess your team has made. Let's see if your staff has the courage to let this one post. Better, let's see you sit down and engage all of us in this debate or disaster in progress. After all, you are in charge, so we have to assume you agreed to this new plan?"

* Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility, Marriott on the Move

OP = Ocean Pointe, Palm Beach Shores, FL

GV = Grande Vista, Orlando, FL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...