19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2014 3:26 PM by rinny54 RSS

Washington Renaissance Mayflower

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Will be at the Mayflower later this week- looks good on the web but any first hand experiences?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA
  • Washington Renaissance Mayflower is Wonderful Experience
    libertygirl Platinum 1 Reviews

I have stayed at the Mayflower Hotel several times over the last five years. This spring I stayed in a lovely suite for one night while I was in town to have dinner with a friend. The concierge recommended a very nice Greek seafood restaurant within walking distance....the food was outstanding. The concierge also sent wine/champagne drinks to our table compliments of the concierge....a nice touch since he made our reservation for us.

The Mayflower Hotel is a historic and beautiful hotel. It does not have a pool inside the hotel but I believe they have access to a fitness club nearby. It is centrally located and near other fine restaurants within walking distance. I recommend it highly. They also have a nice restaurant in the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Washington Renaissance Mayflower
    gbuckner52 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yep..stayed there last year with wife for weekend. The hotel lobby bar was very cool for people watching, and good drinks as well. Would recommend it as nice choice if you like older rooms with great furniture.

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

Thanks for these notes.

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

I hope you will post a report on our site when you return, Redwood.  The responses on the Mayflower are encouraging, but I have also read some negative reviews on Trip Advisor.  I am very interested, as I have a reservation there myself at the end of this month and have not been to the property heretofore.  Have a great trip!

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

I've stayed at every Marriott property in D.C., and like the Mayflower the best.

Great Executive Lounge -- Rudy is the best!! And it isn't overrun with tourists the way some lounges are in D.C. this time of year (for example, JW Marriott, where you can't even find a seat half the time).

Walking distance to much of D.C., and right next to a Metro station.

You won't be disappointed.

imagrits Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with other posters, this is a great hotel and we had an excellent stay each stay.  Upgraded to a suite once, lovely "larger" room the next time. 

diogenes72; I would not worry about those TripAdvisor reports - many people do not do their research, so their expectations can be way out of line.

If you want a contemporary hotel with all the latest, you will not be happy here.  If you have an appreciation for history and vintage decor, you will love it.

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

LOVE the Mayflower!!!  I always get treated well, gym is nice, CL is nice and very big and location is great.  I go to DC often and it's my first choice if my business is in the district.

txnroses Platinum

Mayflower is a great hotel in DC.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Does anyone have any recent opinions of the Mayflower Ren in DC?  I will be going in June.

pilgrim37 Gold

The Mayflower is my absolutely favorite hotel in DC, bar none.  We had an amazing time about this time last year during spring break.  Elegant, historic, wonderful.  Do check out all the photographs in the concierge lounge because most of our famous Presidents had inaugurals there.  Just lovely.

Thanks pilgrim37. I got a great rate there & it's only 1/2 mile from my favorite restaurant, Ris on L  St. It was cheaper than the closer Marriott, Renaissance, Courtyard or RI. And the Ritz is a little too pricey for me. Can't wait to go!

erc Platinum

You'll have a great time. It remains superbly serviced (hotel restaurant has had its struggles, but bar is fine). For other visitors to the nation's capital, they still have terrific AAA advanced purchase rates on weekends throughout the summer ($119 etc) and they serve hot breakfast for elites in lounge on weekends, and each day rates for Thanksgiving and Christmas week ($109). Yours truly snagged a great New Year's Eve rate there long ago and will be going to bed with the 10 o'clock news in a great hotel .

If there during the week, you can often skip a dinner and do just fine at the club/concierge lounge - at the very least, with desserts. And don't forget about great happy hour deals (meaning food also) at Vidalia around the corner and even at your fave Ris (and other spots). Have a blast.

Thanks, erc, I will!  I prefer to sit @ the bar anyway...meet interesting people there...and the drinks are usually better!!  Other than 1 day of a conference on Saturday, I plan to do some sightseeing & check out the changes since my last visit about 4 yrs ago.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rinny,

If the "Ris" is close to the train station, we are in complete agreement.  That is a wonderful place!

I had forgot how good that place is!  Wonderful steak!

jerrycoin,

Ris is in Foggy Bottom on L & 23rd. It is right under the Ritz Carlton Residences & around the corner from the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  She just opened Ris @ Union Market, which has an upscale "food court". Many people go there for lunch or take home meals after work, etc. There are a variety of food establishments there offering limited menus & general seating. A few have their own seating area. When I go to Ris on L St., I just sit @ the beautiful marble bar & get catered to!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rinny54,

Thanks!

I have got "Ris" mixed up with another place!  This does sound like a wonderful place to dine and relax.  Again, thank-you for the post and information.  Please keep the information coming!

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

this is my favorite Marriott property in DC.  awesome upgraded rooms for platinum- always seem to get a suite.

only complain is the guy who works the concierge suite has the worst attitude I have ever experienced.  he has been there for a few years and always unfriendly and rude to guests.

hotel is a great location and tons of places to eat nearby.

I rented a bike from the place by the old post office on the Mall- great way to see the sights all around the area.

Thanks for the info floridatravels. I will be there next month!

I just returned from DC & spent 2 out of 4 nights @ the Mayflower (the other 2 nights were @ the new Marriott Marquis--see my comments under that hotel). I was pretty impressed with the hotel considering alot of info on Tripadvisor was just fair.  They will be undergoing renovations later this year, so I expected things to be pretty worn, but was pleasantly surprised.  When asked for an upgrade, we were given a 2 room suite (corner room) next to the concierge lounge.  It was VERY nice & comfortable.  The concierge lounge was lovely as well.  The breakfast was good & similar day-to-day and afternoon appetizers were good. We went using our Destination Club points so I was disappointed when no elite nights were accrued.  I understand that none are accrued using reward points, but these are points that I bought!  So I should think I would get elite night credit for going to a Marriott property as I do when I go to any MVC destination.  WRONG!  Again, this is another reason why MVC week & points owners should have automatic elite status depending on level of ownership due to the amount spent initially & annually for maintenance fees & dues. Anyway, back to the Mayflower....the staff there were VERY nice & helpful.  Would definitely go back.  Also, it was a 15 minute walk to my favorite restaurant in DC---RIS!!.  We went there 2 nights.  Loved it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...