4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2010 6:58 AM by profchiara RSS

Summer Travel Story - My Last Day in Rome

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My favorite summer travel story was a day and night in Rome, during which I enjoyed the wonderful hospitality and ambiance of the Grand Flora. At the end of my first research trip to Rome, I had one day free. I decided to walk from the Via Veneto to the Vatican. I was strongly discouraged from doing so by the doorman, who said it was much too far to walk. I announced confidently that I was a walker, so I would do it anyway. All went well until I arrived at the Piazza Venezia, which was – as usual – crowded with tourists, lovers, students, and even some Romans. For those of you who have not been to Rome, the Piazza Venezia is like a wheel, with streets radiating out from the hub. Map notwithstanding, I got disoriented immediately and took the first of all possible wrong streets. I was completely lost by the time I made it to the Via della Consolazione near the Capitoline. But in the process of getting lost, I discovered several gems I had missed on earlier sightseeing trips, including the Mamertine Prison, according to legend the last prison of Sts. Peter and Paul. I got further lost in the different forums, then got somewhat grounded again when I found the Largo Argentina with its fantastic ancient temples and no-kill cat sanctuary. Finally, hours after I had started, blistered and tired, I found Corso Vittorio Emmanuele and knew I was on the right track. I made it to the Vatican, only intending to visit. But mass was about to start in the apse behind Bernini’s canopy so I stayed. After mass, I wisely took a cab back to the Flora, only to find a message from some Roman friends asking me to have dinner with them in Trastevere. Whew! Could I? My flight was at 10:30am the next morning. But I decided it had been a special day and I should go for it. We had sea bass and house wine near Santa Maria in Trastevere then started walking around. As it got late, we planned one final farewell drink. Finding a place to serve you a drink late at night in Rome is nearly impossible. But one friend was a member of a Workers’ Cultural Club, where the laws do not apply. I filled out my free membership card and we sat there most of the night listening to jazz and drinking mojitos. I straggled back to the Flora at around 4:30 am, to the somewhat astonished gaze of the doorman, who had to unlock the gates. But it turned out to be an amazing 24 hours, and I even slept on the plane coming home.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Italy
  • Re: Summer Travel Story - My Last Day in Rome
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Great story professor!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Enjoyed the pictures and reading of the experience!

One of the joys of traveling is the pleasant surprises that sometimes come out of adversity.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
    Good story, Professor! I, too, am astonished that you were 'out gallivanting', as my mother would say, until 4:30 in the morning!!!! Good for you!!!! I don't think I would have made the plane.... would have had to stay up the rest of the night to make sure that I did! LOL!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear NewHilton,

At a Workers' Cultural Club, no less!

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...