1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 10:57 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

My Summer Travel Story Folks said  It Couln't Be Done

mother1988 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Well family and friends said it couldn't be done but my summer travel story was a great success and a wonderful memory.  It was in June when I decided to leave Arizona and head to Michigan.  I was always up for a good drive, but I had in tow my great husband, 19 year old son and 89 year old mother-in-law with an aching back and short term memory issues.

Well intentioned friends cautioned me and even my hubby was unsure.  Yet I felt confident that dear mother-in-law (mom) would make it on this long distance journey.  I assured all that pillows, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and driving at a liesurly pace would work.  We packed up headed east with a cooler and a great book by the Sterns called Road Food Good Food.

That book led us on a journey to not only restaurants where the locals eat, but a good bit of information on the towns we would be traveling through.  Our first stop was Prescott Arizona where we stayed at the lovely Residence Inn there - Wow! Great town too! We then drove into the painted desert north and East of Prescott, which was an incredible place.  We listened to the Guard explain not to take any rocks with us and saw the film clip too that said do not take any rocks.  No sooner out the door into the painted desert, but Mom is leaning over picking up rocks and doesn't understand why she can not take a few.  We explained it is a federal penalty.  Ah the laughs at getting her to put them down. Still not sure if one landed in her purse.

We went from there to Albequerque New Mexico and were charmed by the old town.  Onto Gallup New Mexico where the Sterns led us to an old Mexican restaurant and suggesting we go next door to a terrific trading post.  There we met a shop keeper who showed us the most incredible collection of silver belt buckles, boots and western wear.  She was a warm and charming lady we will all remember her and her great stories of all the hollywood stars that have been there. 

Further travels on the I-40 going east and always searching out how to land on the famous Route 66. We finally steered our way to Branson,Missouri.  We no sooner landed there and ran into the Andy Williams Theater in time to see Andy with Glen Campbell with his band.  We were all wowed!  Enjoyed our visit to Branson one and all.  From time to time we had to pop in ZZ top into CD player to calm 19 year old son from Grandma's tunes.  Thankfully, she was calm and enjoyed the cruise thoroughly.  We eventually landed north in Cincinnatti a few days to visit dear friends.  And at last headed to metro Detroit where we landed safely, soundly and to this day dear Mom can recall those special memories we made.  My son and hubby too were amazed at the success of this summer journey.  It was a lasting memory for us all and did us all good. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
MI, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...