3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 5:18 PM by anadyr RSS

Check Your Statements Online!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As I've said in previous emails, I seem to have a lot of unusual problems getting points posted, while many of you do not.  It could very well be because almost all my stays are in Europe.  I had this happen both with my Premier Visa Chase Marriott Rewards Card and Marriott Rewards this past month.

For the VISA card, I think they deserve a break, because I think Marriott caused the problem.  I stayed at both the Shelbourne in Dublin and the Porte de Monaco in the past month, and when my points were posted for the VISA card yesterday, neither showed up on the bill as Marriott points in any fashion. (They were simply listed as lodging).  I copied the info from my Premier Visa Card along with the hotel website, and as always -- since I think the Chase Premier Card is fantastic -- I had a response within an hour that 10,000+ points were being adjusted to my account.  In short, the Marriott Rewards cards fixes things immediately, but in both cases, Marriott or Renaissance was not at all listed in the name of the lodging charge.  So I think Marriott needs to fix that, probably the reason for some problems in the past. Every hotel associated with Marriott needs to put their name in the billing information for those of us who use the Marriott VISA card. But as I said, I have no problem with the VISA card -- they fix it immediately.

Marriott Rewards is another matter.  After my stay at Porte de Monaco, apparently they just posted euros as if they were dollars (even though listed as euros).  I called the Platinum line twice, and as usual went through the 'send us a fax with your copies of the hotel bill, etc.'  I have done so, but I really think Marriott needs to fix this problem since I have this happen all the time when I travel in Europe.  I did not at the Shelbourne because they converted it to dollars (though it cost me more to do so -- even though when I asked they said it would not), so the exact point value was posted there.  At the Porte de Monaco, I was only given credit as if euros were equivalent to dollars and without a 50% platinum bonus -- and I never got my 500 points 'gift' on checkin. I have requested the appropriate adjustment, but I expect it will take time -- and like in the past, they will tell me these are taxes etc.  They were not!  Everything is clearly listed.

So I suggest everyone check their points monthly.  If it has to do with a VISA card it will be fixed promptly.  However, with Marriott, I always have problems.  For the most part, though not always, the Platinum line representatives do not seem to understand that foreign currencies are different than dollars (and almost always worth more).  This is not their fault -- it is that of those posting the charges -- but Marriott representatives need to be aware of the problem.  I had to make a special 30-minute trip to my office to fax the material to Marriott today and still have not received an email response.

ProfChiara

• Re: Check Your Statements Online!
    lesliepamel Platinum

I don't usually experience delays with hotels in Europe. In fact I have just checked out of the Bristol Royal at 9.30 am on the 8th July, and the 'nights' were on my account that aftrernoon.The points followed the next day! I doubt that it will evere get better than that!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Leslie,

There are certain places where I have no problems whatsoever -- the London County Hall; the Grand Flora; the Ghent Marriott and a few others.  In most cases they've been posted in a few days.

Like I said, when it's a Marriott Rewards VISA issue, it's fixed within minutes of an email from your credit card account -- but Marriott or Renaissance or JW Marriott should have their name in what is being posted so VISA will know (not the case with Shelbourne [just listed as The Shelbourne Hotel] or Porte de Monaco [listed as CHF Cap d'Ail].

I don't know whether it's because some hotels, like the Shelbourne (which accurately posted points) convert to dollars, sometimes with a cost, and others do not or we choose not to use the 'service.'  Frequently in France I have had this problem of what is clearly charged in euros being counted as if they were dollars.  I faxed all my info to Marriott Rewards yesterday about their incorrect posting for Cap d'Ail, along with my email address, and they have neither corrected the point total (which would have been over 2000 more) nor contacted me.  To me that's a stark contrast with how the Marriott VISA rewards card works, where they fix it as soon as they get and check your email.

In the past a couple of times the problem was because I stayed at a Courtyard and didn't realize that amenities didn't count toward points; but I was at a full-fledged Marriott in Cap d'Ail Porte de Monaco.

I do hope they rectify this.  The few times I stay at hotels in the US or Canada I rarely have problems -- but this happens to me about 40-50% of the time in Europe.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Professor, excellent post and advice too.  I have found that certain hotels, and it varies by location, input the stay as something other than a revenue stay and therefore it is not counted as a stay or for points!  I have called (and have a list of individuals who have been exceptionally helpful at the Platinum Premier Desk) and gotten instant reversal and points and stays.

Chase Visa has been good, no they have been great, in posting points to my account and recently, extra nights with the accelerator program.  As I mentioned our profligate spending has made us even closer to that goal (whatever it is) for the year.

Your key point remains however--it is always good to check the account after a stay to see what is going on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...