5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 5:46 PM by mikiegfla RSS

Cruise

heyhil Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone ever used their points for a cruise? Were there a lot of stipulations? Was it easy to book and were there any surprise costs involved?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Re: Cruise
    plattrvlr Gold

I just scheduled a 4 night cruise this past week for a November trip.  I decided to purchase a $1000 certificate.  My trip totaled out to less than $1000 and as a  result had about $200 left over.  I was greatly dismayed to learn that I could not use the remaining points for anything else on board or even have a credit to use toward for a future cruise.  While I realize that this trip is basically paid for, I still think that is bullsh*t.  I can understand some restriction (maybe) but since I get fully charged for this in points, I should be allowed to use the remaining credit.  Be aware of this polciy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

heyhil Silver

Thanks for your response. I read about that on another blog. It does suck to know that you can't use your remaining points/$$ for anything. I haven't booked anything yet - may just keep them for hotel points.

hawaiiowner Platinum

Cruises using points were a good deal until Marriott "enhanced" the MR program 18 months ago.  Now using your points for a cruise credit is an expensive use of points.

dejamo Platinum

Used 290,000 points last year for a 5 day Carnival Cruise out of Jax Fla.  (Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt   terminal.......my wife and kids and I were in line less than 30 minutes starting, and returning through customs.......best times ever !!!!

I did have some negotiating to do when calling to redeem the points and set up the cruise.  You can only use one $1000 certificate per room, (there were 4 of us, so I got 2 rooms next to each other.

The total for each room was less than $ 1000, so I was allowed to upgrade to a better room/deck and include insurance.  All told I spent $ 27.00 extra on top of the 290,000 points.

Best cruise in a long time,  Half Moon Cay is the BOMB !

Doing it again this year from Miami.........cant wait !

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

MVCIOwner is right, the Reward's cruises were a great feature of the program. Over the years I booked 3 Holland America cruises using points and they were reasonable too. I seem to remember 210k points for a 7 night journey.

Boy those were the days.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...