8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2010 10:37 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

New Vacation Club Points System

retirementfun Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that there are only 53 resorts that are participating in the new points system.  What if I don't want to stay at any of those 53?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Vacation Club Points System
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Destinations is promoted as an option for what MVCI (and Interval international) currently call "internal exchanges"  --- or trading for use at other Marriott Vacation Club resorts.

Destinations is not promoted as a tool for trading into non-MVCI resorts.

Check out "Destinations" section on the MVCI website (www.my-vacationclub.com).  Furthermore,  enrollment in and use of Destinations is not mandatory --- it is an option. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

retirementfun Gold 1 Reviews

I agree with your comments.  I guess my question is why would anyone want to trade their weeks for points, when with their weeks they can trade for anywhere in the world, yes perhaps through II and not into a MVCI resort, and with points they can only trade for those 53 resorts? 

Yes, I do understand that it is optional and not mandatory.  I for one, will keep my four weeks.

I appreciate your perspective though.  Thanks.

justjoe Silver 1 Reviews

With the new MVC points (NOT rewards points for those thinking otherwise) you still own your original weeks, and you have the option to keep your week(s) as is, or trade w\II, rent, etc.  To stay at another resort, you had to wait for an owner to place it in II.  With MVC points, you have immediate access and don't need to wait for an owner to give it up (of course as long as its available).  You can buy additional points (a deeded real estate transaction, with maint fees and currently $199 membership fee/yr.), as well as trade your existing week for more points FOR JUST THAT GIVEN YEAR ONLY.  Its kind of the equivalent of an exchange, but you are not limited to specific time frames or specific places.  You have immediate access to whatever is available, barring your level of participation (will have to see a rep for the details).  Can also book any day of the week for however long you can afford or feel like (cheaper air fare by booking non peak weekdays).  Basically, more points equals more destination availabilities (kind of like cash, need more points for premium destinations, premium rooms, premium season, etc.).  Off season costs\savings, point wise, are fantastic, and allows one to stay at more locations and more weeks (compared to an exchange for a solid week only through II) Jeeeze, I sound like a rep.  I'm not, just enthused.  We opted to do it, signed up and paid in full.  Will see how it goes soon enough.

-- Edited by justjoe at Jul 8, 2010 1:15 AM PDT Forgot to mention that if you join without buying additional points then only the MVC resorts are available (still have more flexibility in booking, etc). With the minimum points purchase, all resorts listed in II are available, not just the MVC resorts. Other packaged excursions are also available, with points, like cruises, European all inclusive tours, etc. Was told hotels are included too, not just resorts.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"We opted to do it, signed up and paid in full.  Will see how it goes soon enough."

justjoe

Congratulations and best wishes with the new usage option. Under the Legacy system, owners occupying their home resort in the season purchased received top priority - always.    It will be very interesting to learn of your experience in this new program.  Since many owners have reported challenges in getting II requests honored, enjoying priority when requesting villas on an II exchange, and that there are only 11 of 53 resorts registered with the Land Trust for the points program, it will be  especially interesting to hear about getting priority/choice villas/select resorts.

Hopefully,  other owners will ask this question and let us all know (what the reps says vs how MVC delivers the actual experience)

retirementfun Gold

Thanks for the info you got.  Interestingly enough, it isn't quite the info I got when I spoke with a rep.  I hope yours is correct.  My sales rep stated that only the MVC resorts are available for use.  I specifically asked about purchasing extra points and she said that it didn't have any effect.  they would be more than happy to sell me additional points, of course at an additional cost on top of the fee to join, but only MVC resorts would be available.  Then she told me about the cruises, which I was interested in.  She transfered me to that line and they said it works much the same way as a trade works now.  Basically for a 7-day Caribbean cruise, my two-week Maui property would be equivelent to one passenger's fare in a inside lower double occupancy cabin.  I was floored.  That equates to less than $1000.  I definitely won't be cruising with my weeks.   

Please let us know once you've given it a try.  I wish they had trained all of their reps correctly and to be able to answer the same questions with the same answers. 

Here is the paragraph she sent me to show that only the MVC properties were available:

"If you wish to continue using your week(s) as you have always done, you may. You never have to elect Vacation Club Points unless you want to. When you do elect Vacation Club Points, you will be able to redeem them for a vacation at another Marriott Vacation Club resort directly without exchanging through Interval International."

" 5The Marriott Vacation Club Collection is comprised of timeshare interests owned by the MVC Trust and available for usage through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations timeshare plan and timeshare interests available for usage through the MVC Exchange Company; please see the applicable Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program documents for more information. Resorts with property that comprise the MVC Trust are described in the documents provided at the time of sale, and more particularly on the exhibit entitled Component Site Chart, which may be revised from time to time. Request for occupancy at resorts with small amounts of property in the MVC Trust, as set forth in the Component Site Chart, will be fulfilled primarily through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program. As of 6/20/2010, there are currently timeshare interests located at 11 resorts owned by the MVC Trust and those resorts are designated with the 'T'. As 6/20/10, there are currently 53 resorts, including the aforementioned 11 resorts, with timeshare interests available for exchange through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program, and those resorts are designated with the symbol 'E'. Please see the applicable Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program documents for more information."

tjcnewyork Platinum

"for a 7-day Caribbean cruise, my two-week Maui property would be equivelent to one passenger's fare in a inside lower double occupancy cabin.  I was floored.  That equates to less than $1000.  I definitely won't be cruising with my weeks."

Are you referring to the Maui Ocean Club in Ka'anapali? Stunning and luxurious.

Is the cruise exchange fare a fully loaded one passenger fare w/accomodations, food and beverages included?  I don't mean to be dumb, after 15 years+ with MVC, I've always enjoyed occupying my home resort, exchanging at other popular Marriott resorts or trading for points EOY. If the Destination Club degrades the value of legacy Marriott vacation ownership in the way you describe, a 7-day cruise or any other type of non-Marriott resort vacation experience will be a very challenging sell.

retirementfun Gold

Yes, I'm referring to the Maui Ocean Club in Kaanapali.  According to the rep, if we give up two weeks, we will get one fully paid adult fare in a double occupancy inside cabin.  We would need to pay 1/2 fare supplement for the other passenger.  Yes it includes food, drink, everything a normal cruise would include.  The problem is if you book it directly from Royal Caribbean the total cost for both passengers for the same 7 day Caribbean cruise is $1,538.  I don't feel that giving up two weeks in Maui is worth the $770 that they will give me for the cruise.  Happy sailing.   

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I don't feel that giving up two weeks in Maui is worth the $770 that they will give me for the cruise."

Agreed!  When you connect-the-dots, the image of MVC as the Andrea Gail begins to emerge.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...