7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2012 8:49 PM by razorbackfan RSS

My Summer Travel Story--Chatham Cape Cod

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Pilgrims landed not far from here (I am in Chatham, at the elbow of Cape Cod). I was a little later than they were, arriving to see my future wife in 1969, summer of, that is.  We've been married 40 years this month, and have spent every summer here since. I wrote a novel, called Stepping Stones, which took its name from one of the streets here in town.

Chatham is off the main path and decidedly old-fashioned.  There is still free, unlimited parking on Main Street, though the size of cars makes it a challenge to drive along safely.  There is still a free band concert by the town band in the Kate Gould Park.  Just as before the second world war, the band members wear woolen uniforms and perform the Hokey-Pokey to delighted kids, parents, grandparents and even great-grandparents. Light sticks are the best ever made, according to local experts, for waving at the event.

Ice cream stores do a brisk business.  Town folks put up with us "summer complaints" from across the bridge, or off-Cape as they call it.  Summer baseball is played and the games are free.  College players with wooden bats keep us all cheering for the Anglers, the local team here in town.

Chatham Police are nice, helpful and understanding--even during the Independence Day celebrations, held this year on the 3rd of July.  I was one of the participants in the 78 entry Parade, as I have been in the past, helping a friend with her "float" for her Diner. Dressed as a clown, see photos, I was able to act even more silly than I normally would. It was a hot day, but it was a Norman Rockwell kind of event--lots of bands, lots of horses, many old and new marching veterans, high school groups, and of course, being an election year, politicians!  Here's a short video of that parade.

So, Chatham is off the beaten path, and a small town with all the intrigue I could hope for, but these are the genuine article--New Englanders with an independent streak and a fierce love of their native land and this great country.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chatham, Massachusetts, USA
Massachusetts, null
  • Re: My Summer Travel Story--Chatham Cape Cod
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping Stones,

Very enjoyable story!

You are getting me in a "New England" mood!

Changed my Christmas plans to spend it in New England (Thanks to TJC!)

Again, thanks for sharing this with us!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks Jerry!

erc Platinum

A Marriott Insiders Seance - Hey, Stepping Stones, you departed before we could exchange Chatham info. In case you're floating around out there in cyberspace with an occasional glance, here's the scoop; taking a page (the meeting part - not the romance!) from An Affair to Remember and knowing you're a honcho for the Chatham 300 Activities, I'll be at your ol' hangout Veteran's Field, at the Sunday 7:00 pm June 24th Chatham Anglers vs. Cotuit Kettleers game. At the top of the 5th I'll be behind the plate with my copy of The Reunion.  Here's hoping the stars align and you see this posting floating through space and can make it. We can exchange updates on our Anadyr projects.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hey erc, hope you make contact.

erc Platinum

Thanks razorback. It looks like it will be awhile before your boys make it to the Cape, they're taking care of business in Omaha. Good luck.

A Marriott Insiders Seance - Hey, Stepping Stones, you departed before we could exchange Chatham info. In case you're floating around out there in cyberspace with an occasional glance, here's the scoop; taking a page (the meeting part - not the romance!) from An Affair to Remember and knowing you're a honcho for the Chatham 300 Activities, I'll be at your ol' hangout Veteran's Field, at the Sunday 7:00 pm June 24th Chatham Anglers vs. Cotuit Kettleers game. At the top of the 5th I'll be behind the plate with my copy of The Reunion.  Here's hoping the stars align and you see this post floating through space and can make it. We can exchange updates on our Anadyr projects.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks for wishing the Hogs good luck.  They had the potential to be a great team this year, but toward the end of the season they had a lot of trouble hitting.  It sure seems that they are getting hot at just the right time.  We haven't bought our CWS shirts yet.  We're waiting to buy championship shirts!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Have driven by Chatham but never had the opportunity to stop and visit, as the relatives live in Truro and P-town, and its always such a long drive getting there.  Are there any ferries from the NYC area?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...