9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2010 10:43 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Orlando World Center Resort Center Disappointment

disappointed Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just stayed at the Marriott World Conference Center in Orlando with my family for a week in June and was very disappointed in the overall lack of service, focus, communication and competency at the hotel. I was also very shocked at the apparent disregard for and treatment of Marriot Rewards members. It seems that this hotel is geared to conventions and vacationers and view anyone staying at the hotel on points as less than equal. I have been a Marriot Rewards Platinum Elite member for over 5 years and our stay here was unfortunately one of the most discouraging stays I have experienced.

Listed below are in no particular order are a sampling of some of the frustrating events that occurred during our stay.

1. Upon Checking in at 5:20 PM on a Saturday, I was informed that our room was not ready. Keep in mind that Check Out is at 11:00 AM. Regardless status, I struggle to understand how the room could not be available after 6 hours of prep time. Even more so, as a Platinum Elite member who made their reservation 3 MONTHS in advance, confirmed 3 weeks out, 2 weeks out and 1 week out, they would have made an effort to make the room available. Despite the apparent lack of forward thinking, I was not offfered any mediation ( not even a “we’re sorry”). The attitude at the Elite desk at the hotel was along the lines of it is what it is, you have no option but to wait. No voucher to get some sodas for the kids (any food item at this hotel is expensive). No Concierge room to wait in (This hotel does not have a Concierge room for its statused members). We were allowed to wander about the lobby listening to the loud conventioners at the Lobby bar getting drunk.
  2. I had ordered an in room refrigerator as my wife has diabetes and needs one for her medication. A refrigerator was not in the room. I called the front desk (20 minutes on hold for pickup) and was literally told one was not available. Having made the request weeks in advance and following up (see above) I questioned why one was not reserved, knowing the situation. I was literally told that others that arrived earlier have them. I asked, based on my communication, my wife’s condition and at the least my status, why one was put aside knowing based on my reservation made months in advance. This type of forward planning and communication seemed to confuse the agent. I was transferred to a desk supervisor (Katie). Her response was to offer some bonus points. The offer was almost immediate as if this type of issue occurs all the time. However, as I informed Katie, points don’t solve the problem and I asked how could the problem have occurred and more important how Marriot was going to solve. Unfortunately, Katie seemed perplexed that I would want the problem solved. She literally said that she would not have a refrigerator for days. I eventually received a refrigerator 5 days into my stay. Katie never called back to follow-up on this issue.
  3. Service – Service in general was sluggish which I attribute to the large number of people staying at the hotel. It seems that the hotel is understaffed to support the number of guests they have. Examples below
    1. Room Service – Seevral times during my stay we would call for Room Service, on avergae it took 15 to 20 minutes each time to just have Room Service answer the phone.
    2. Room Cleaning quality/consistency – The room was inconsistently cleaned or replenished. Shampoos and Conditioners were not restocked on a daily basis, room service door menus were not restocked for the whole stay. The room was not vacummed daily. Etc.
    3. Bell staff – The talk to you, their nice, but they don’t feel the need to actually take your bags.
  4. Hotel condition – The hotel itself seems to aging and in need of some maintenance and repairs.
    1. During our stay, two of the four elevators servicing our floor were broken or being repaired. I was actually waiting for one elevator when it broke. It arrived on the 1st floor with a number of guests, but the door would not open. It would be comical if it were in a movie.
    2. Construction noise – It does seem that they are renovating a wing of the hotel. Unfortunately that noise starts at 8:00 am and goes throughout the day.
    3. Construction in the lobby
  5. Food Pricing – The hotel must think its part of the local theme parks when it comes to food pricing. A breakfast for 4 costs in the range of $75 to $100 dollars. Really!? For pancakes and eggs? Unfortunately, the quality of the food is lower than that served at the theme parks. We had almost all of our meals outside the hotel (Oralndo has some very nice restaurants outside the theme park area, that I would highly recommend)

I had read many reviews of this hotel and other Marriot properties in the area. I was down to this hotel and the JW. I chose this one based on its proximity to the theme parks. I chose poorly. If you are going to the Orlando area, I would not recommend this hotel at all. Please choose another Marriot property.

• Re: Orlando World Center Resort Center Disappointment
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Your comments speak for themselves ---- however, keep in mind that  MARR resort hotels do not have concierge lounges.  That is also true of most of the competition.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

If this had happened to me, I would have spoke directly to the General Manager and expressed my strong concerns regarding this neglegent treatment of a Platinum Member. Also, I would have called Marriotts Customer Service regarding this for help in resolving these neglegent issues. Finally, I would have considered moving to another hotel in the area and not staying any longer than necessary.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I just stayed at the Marriott World Conference Center in Orlando with my family for a week in June and was very disappointed in the overall lack of service, focus, communication and competency at the hotel. I was also very shocked at the apparent disregard for and treatment of Marriot Rewards members. "

For many years, the OWC was the flagship property; but it slid from a Cat 6 to Cat 5 earlier this year.  Assuming you booked one room at a Hotel Reward on the Redeem 4 Get the 5th Night Free, the stay required 150,000 points

.Jasper's suggestion is on point.  Consider e-mailing customer.care@marriott.com with the following subject:  Refund Request Confirmation #12345678

In the first paragraph of your narrative consider stating your objective upfront:

This is to request a full refund of 150,000 Marriott Rewards points due to the failure of the Marriott Orlando World Center to deliver upon Marriott's stated promise during my recent stay with my family in June.  Instead of leaving the hotel relaxed, refreshed and re-energized as Marriott promises, we returned home disappointed, distressed and dissatisatisfied.  This is to itemize the reasons why: (here include the narrative posted on Insiders)

Customer.care@marriott.com will respond by email acknowledging receipt and will state that someone will contact you within 3 to 5 business days.  If that does not happen, consider e-mailing back or calling and request that the matter be escalated to customer care management in Salt Lake City.

Let us know what happens or not.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

From what you say, I'd definitely agree you've got a legitimate beef.  Hope Marriott comes thru with some real satisfaction.  Please keep us advised on what their response is.  Good luck!

ruditheuns Platinum 2 Reviews

I also stayed at the World Center hotel from July 6th and my experiences are in line with the above post.

I did not find any difference between the treatment of the guests,  all very flat and rather formal.

Breakfast was indeed for a 100 $ for 4 people, with no applied price difference between a simple healthy and a full one.  (Only 1 time this was applied out of 6 days) Although I found the food quality good to very good.

Also I booked 2 rooms in January with preference & king and & double bed, which I did get, but the 2 rooms were in different towers, nearly a 10 minute walk between them, down the corridor from west tower down 9 floors through the lobby into the east tower and up 4 floor and down  the corridor again.  I would expect that for hotel of this size that the rooms could easily be in proximity and not in different buildings, and attributed as such with a 6 months leap time.

Also the term resort view is very flexible as I was overlooking the main entrance and my kids the building under construction on the far east side. Very little resort view.

Also disappointing was that on the site the main restaurant (used for breakfast) was not open in the evening, contrary to the website information, and I was forced to go for the fast food, with rather ppor quality, or the expensive, but good, restaurants. For these latter ones I had to order quite early to get a seat as these restaurants were not capable to host the large number of guests.

After 3 diners, first fast food, and respectively in the Japanese steak and the Italian restaurants, I ended up in the Disney world restaurants spending my money rather than at the Marriott for a quiet and good family dinner, outside the theme parks.

Not all was bad, I found the rooms nice, tidy and clean.

Rudi

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Well, don't feel badly - it wasn't because you were staying on points, nor because you are a platinum member.

I stayed there a year ago June, was a paying member and silver elite...and I have this hotel on my "don't visit again" list.

They need to do a lot to straighten out this hotel, and the most important thing would be to start fixing things rather than doling out points when someone complains.  They did offer me points when I complained about a couple of things, but they didn't fix the problem.  I don't know where people get the idea that points "fix" things, they don't.  What does it say really?  Here's some points and we are going to annoy you in the same way next time you come.  No thanks.

I suspect this hotel makes a LOT of money.  They certainly took a lot from me and the other people I was with, and they don't appear to put it back into the property.

This is Marriott's biggest hotel, but also one of the least desirable.

I went back to Orlando again this spring.  I didn't stay at the Marriott Orlando World resort.  Didn't even consider it!

Good luck in getting your issues resolved.

packerfan66 Platinum 7 Reviews

I took my wife and kids there a couple of years back and got the exact vibe. An inordinate percentage of staff seemed unhappy working there. Not the standard Marriott feel. Stayed on points as well. Not sure if that had anyting to do wih it though. I hope not since the Platinum status and points is why I stay with Marriott. Even with all of the rundown properties.

hookem Platinum 7 Reviews

Wow, I am attending a conference that is being hosted here the end of September.  I am glad I booked the Sabel Palms Vacation Club next door instead of stayng here.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I am attending a conference that is being hosted here the end of September.  I am glad I booked the Sabel Palms Vacation Club next door instead of stayng here."

Hookem:

Pure genius.  We recently arrived for a 2 week holiday in the Orlando|Central Florida area and kicking off our vacation at Sabal Palms.

Our expectations are exceeded. This completely refurbished 2 bedroom 2 bath unit overlooking the golfcourse exceeds our expectations.  We're on the ground floor of townhouse unit and love it.  (The upper unit stairs can be challenging with 45 lb luggage). The unit is completely up-to-date with new furniture and finishes throughout including 3 LG flat panel TVs.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM2516.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM2517.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM2518.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/OWC-06.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/OWC-10.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM2515.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...