2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 1:08 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Some comparison and insight on rewards

ibmeronthego Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi As a Hyatt Diamond member (50 nights instead of 75 required by Marriott Platinum) I get 4 Free Suite Upgrade Stay per year.

I like the Free ironing Services (2 piece/night) in JW Marriott Bangkok. Didn't see this offer in other JW Marriott in KL, HK, etc.

Hilton KL give Free wash (4 piece/night) for their Gold VIP (25 nights to get Hilton Gold instead of 50 required by Marriott Gold).

Hyatt just ended their 2 stay for 1 night promotion although I like the Shangri-la 4 nights for 1 night promotion more. It should start soon as this is their Summer Promotion for the last 3 years. It allow you to redeem the night upto Mar the following year which is better then the 2 mths given by Hyatt after the promotion ended. Priority Club also give 2 nights for 1 during last year but they capped at 3 free nights per promotion. They give 2 promotion last year and their period of stay is also longer then Hyatt.

SPG Platinum (50 nights instead of 75 required by Marriott Platinum) give free suite upgrade for all stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Some comparison and insight on rewards
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi IBMer

Cannot disagree with your math, but how about considering the bang as well as the buck?

For me, loyalty to Marriott has to do with consistency of quality.  There will always be a few bad apples, but I almost always can depend upon my Marriott expectations.  And, that is worth something.

How about my last HI stay? --- when I woke to screeching at 3 AM to find two cockroaches walking around the room.  Antidotal to be sure.  But patterns of experiences like this can lead to reasonable conclusions.  After a number of negative experiences with IC and Hilton hotels, I now focus on Marriott.

Happy trails!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Some comparison and insight on rewards
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

IBMmer/Countryjim

both of you have very good points!  lets face reality, hotel properties do let us down from time-to-time.  when that happens, we look to how the situation was handled to decide if we will stay in that particular property in the future.  In my list of priority hotels, I have Hiltons, Hyatts, Westins, Sheratons, and of course, Marriotts and Rennaisance.  When at a particular locale, I stay at that property that feels right to me.  Just happens, that most of the time, I am in locals where the Marriott is my hotel of choice.  Now, does my desire to consolidate my rewards into a single program influence my decision?  Of course.  Do I feel a kinship to Marriott?  not really.  My point to this ramble is that, by chance, Marriott became my lodging choice and because of the loyalty program, has a leg up on it's competitors when i am deciding where to stay.  That said, I do take individual properties into consideration and stay "outside the Mariott family maybe 25% of the time.  I don't believe that marriott is any better or worse that it's competitors when comparing full line Hotels, and I would l;ikely remain loyal to marriott as long as nothing major happens to discourage that loyalty. 

roaches, YUK!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...