3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2010 1:08 PM by jmat6687 RSS

TV Programming

jbird22 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I travel across the country and stay ot Marriott properties. I have noticed that many Marriott properties have upgraded the hotel including the TV's in the room. I like the new flat screens. The problem is the quailty of the picture supplied to the TV's. Often the quality of the picture looks like they have rabbit ears on top of the hotel receiving the signal. You have those nice HD TV's and you are wasting them with poor cable signals. The other thing is the programming offered. Most of the time you have the four local stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX), WGN, six news channles, four sports channels, and a couple misc channels. Since Continental Airlines have started putting Direct TV on the planes, I get a better picture quality and programming in the air than I do in a hotel. When will Marriott actually bring their TV technology up to date? I feel like I'm stuck in the 70's.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: TV Programming
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

jbird22

good point!  I also find that sometimes, not all the time, the property will pay to replace the tv's with hd capable sets, then not pay for the hd signal.  such a waste.  I will say, that the programming purchased seems to be up to each individual property and I have actually had some luck in getting a particular location to add a desired station.  It happened to be the golf channel Wink.  good luck and travel safe!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Another  thing that has disappeared is the in-room channel guide. Apparently the digital revolution changed everything for many hotels, and there appears to be no written list of channels.  In addition, the former onscreen channel guide seems to have disappeared.

Sic transit gloria tv as it were.

jmat6687 Gold

I have stayed at Marriott properties that have had expanded digital cable-100+ channels(SHS Pittsburgh Mills), down to one with about 15 channels-antennas on roof for locals and a few Canadian networks(CY Niagara Falls ONT). The TV situation apparently depends on each hotel. What I don't understand is why some hotels use some crappy satellite package of 20 or 25 channels instead of just getting the basic cable in town. This is usually at least 40 or 50 channels. And the satellite doesn't have specialty channels like Golf, the local Fox Sports Net, Versus, etc. Also on satellite, you don't get a local forecast on The Weather Channel every 10 minutes, so much for checking the weather where you're at. As a leisure only traveler, this is a little inconvenient, however, for all you folks who spend a lot of time in hotels, its probably rather aggravating

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...