10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 5:57 PM by techie RSS

Longing for a lounge that was

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, there are times when we all long for things that we once enjoyed, but no longer do.  Perhaps it's things remembered, or transference as they say in the trade, but the Marriott Concierge Lounge of days gone by is not prevalent today. At least in my recent experience:

• The attendants are now often hiding in the prep area and are not on the floor. Thus, food tends to get cold or warm, and not replenished quickly or at all.  When asked a question, many seem flummoxed and unable to answer.

• HDTVs (three in the larger Lounges) are set and locked so that no one can change a channel, turn the machines off, or adjust the volume.  If they are actually going to be in the Lounges then they should be adjustable by the guest.

• Children and teens run freely around the lounge, double-dipping food, standing in the front of the line and contemplating who-knows,what? Parents are either absent or oblivious.

• No guards are posted at the door so virtually anyone can enter on the heels of another person with access.

The surroundings are pleasant but the experience is, to say the least, not that welcoming.  In the good old  days the Concierge Lounge was often just an honor bar with top shelf liquors and attendants who actually worked in hospitality jobs before and could recite chapter and verse on places to go and things to see.

One hotel in DC had three Concierges in the am and three in the evening.  It was open 24 hours a day, but not staffed from 11 pm until 6 am.

One of the Concierges was a graduate oif Cordon Bleu in Paris and often added her special touch to the kitchen's offering.  Special events for frequent guests were always remembered, even the birthday of a family pet that one fellow kept with him in his suite while at work on Capitol Hill!  It was a family atmosphere, with everyone (like at Cheers) knowing your name!  Alas, those days are gone and mostly forgotten.

PS--forgot to mention the sign at the door requesting appropriate attire--widely ignored by everyone.

-- Edited by SteppingStones at Jun 25, 2010 2:26 PM PDT

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Longing for a lounge that was
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Stepping Stones  -  Very good post, and spot on!  Although I cannot say that I ever held the lounge in such high esteem as you long to return to, I can totally relate to each of your points.  I'm laughing as i write this because just this past week I was in Columbus Ohio at the Airport Marriott with about 200 kids who were there for a baseball tourney.  I think ever one of them was in the lounge everey time I was.  Also, the hiding attendant syndrome could very well be in their job description.   And yes, the time and effort that goes into the food prep, only to see it sit there and have diminshing appeal....   HONESTLY, i HAVE LOWERED MY EXPECTATION SO MUCH THAT AS LONG THERE IS COLD BOTTLES OF WATER AVAILABLE I'M MAINLY OK.  SAD, HUH?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

For the most part, I'm pretty much in the same boat with both of y'all.  The bottled water is the number one draw for me, although I find that it's rarely all that cold.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Water--my favorite there too!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Great commentary. As a new poster in this venue, I hope Marriott looks at these and acts accordingly. I too have experienced what you have all referenced in your posts. Pretty sad if Marriott has this forum and ignores it.

ricoviaje Platinum

Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well. The experience has eroded to this sorry state; I arrive early to get fresh coffee, anything else is a bonus. I stopped entering in the evening and after 7:00 am. As we are in the midst of the summer months with many of us using points, the extra guests are in full force.

• Re: for some dollars more you have acces to the lounge
    klaus29 Silver

why some lounges  looks like a kindergarden

for some  dollars more you can buy the acces

to the lounges.

you  dont have to be  gold  or platium member.

you think this is normal?

klaus29 Silver

nuhusker and stepping stones

i hope  you are not sick  no 1 is cold  water  for  you!!

what is about the gin tonic  and  this very coold  beer?

prost

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Hans -- you remembered my favorite drinks!!  And, yes, a cold beer in the C-lounge hits the spot, but the water is free.  I can get a 3 or 4 dollar beer just about anywhere.  But as a reminder, the beer at the Dayton Marriott is the coldest I've found in the Marriott system.

klaus29 Silver

nuhusker thank you for my new  name

what lounge you  mean where you pay 3 or 4 us dollars

in the executive lounges from marriott  i never pay

i my life  only 1 cents  for a beer,   its  free.

PROST

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I think in the European lounges, they have free been and wine in the early evening, but not in North America.  I stayed in London properties more than 10 times before I knew.

I like the bottled water.

They do let too many kids in there and if the kids are caught double dipping, the whole group should be kicked out immediately.  That is obviously not the place for people who do that.

I like the lounges, but would like them to be better.

Right now, Bexleyheath Marriott - just outside London - no lounge.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...