2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2010 12:37 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Green initiative? A paradox

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We've all given Kudos to Marriott for their green initiatives but I really wonder if this isn't really a Public Relations ploy.

In the Fairfield breakfast announcement (Fairfield Inn & Suites Adds More Variety to Its Free Breakfast) they tout healthier choices.

In speaking with the breakfast bar manager at "my Fairfield", one of the corporate requirements was to do away with the small glass carafe of milk in the ice bucket. Now, guests will take a 1-cup carton of milk, sprinkle their coffee and per policy, must be tossed. I even asked why the FF didn't take the Starbuck's approach of the milk thermos - against the "new and healthier" program.

Not only is this policy "anti-green" it is a waste of money, too. Perhaps this is why Marriott is contemplating wall-mounted shampoo/conditioner dispensers - to save on the mini-bottles to pay for the milk that's wasted! See New Ipsos Survey - Guest Amenities

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Green initiative? A paradox
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"I really wonder if this isn't really a Public Relations ploy."

Pingreeman

The corner on paradoxes really belongs to you - you have the eagle eye for them.  (That's a positive attribute, IMHO)

The threat of a global H1N1 pandemic raised awareness about the transmission of communicable diseases and the potential for catastrophe.*   The economic impact is still reverberating in hospitality because global travel and the natural interaction of people with each other, the objects and surfaces they handle or touch, the air that they breathe and the foods and beverages consumed can be contaminated.

Hospitality & Travel - as well as many other industries - rely upon a global supply chain.  Toiletry products manufactured and packaged in one location have been handled multiple times.  In the hospitality environment, small bottles of shampoo and conditioner gets handled how many times?  Contemplating the number of objects and surfaces along with the number of guests and associates ~is~ mind-boggling.

From a public relations perspective, this is very scary stuff!  You and I want to take our families on a well-deserved vacation and the last thing a hotel wants to do is scare us.  Nesting hygiene under 'green' is innocuous and makes sense to people.  Intuitively, people can understand 'green' and feel good about it.  And yes - the scenario with the milk carton presents a paradox.

I'm ok with that.  Kudos to you for identifying one and huge kudos to Marriott for rethinking how services are delivered to reduce the impact of a health threat for their guests and associates - I get it.

* The H1N1 Influenza Pandemic: Implications for Catastrophe Modeling

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Green initiative? A paradox
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"I guess Starbucks cares more about saving money than H1N1 since they use insulated carafes to dispense milk and cream."

Good point since many full-service Marriott hotels feature a Starbucks operation in the lobby.  These attended operations target adult guests. Whereas the Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Springhill Suites brands focus on providing complimentary breakfast for all guests including very young children.

For example, on many trips to New England, busloads of elementary school  athletes along with their parents and siblings frequent these brands while headed to regional and state tournaments.  Based upon news reports fatalities from H1N1 is higher among children vs adults.

From that perspective, kudos to Marriott for thinking about saving lives and avoiding tragic loss vs saving money?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...