8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 10:08 AM by shoeman1000 RSS

Halftime Report - 160th night

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just completed my 160th night at a brand new Fairfield since mid-August 2009 with approximately another 160 nights remaining until mid-April 2011. Key observations:

• 3 weeks ago hired 3rd general manager (1 fired, 1 quit)
  • only 1 original desk clerk remains from the opening day - approximately 12 have come and gone
  • new clerks (IMO) not as well trained as those from opening week
  • sales & operations manager still the same as day 1; breakfast hostess, too
  • occupancy (IMO) up by 10-15% as property becomes more known and on more maps and web sites
  • low-season rates extended to keep rack prices down
  • some "special touches" seemingly forgotten (cigarette "sand" in ashtray long ago washed out and not replaced)
  • "responsiveness" to hotel issues seem less of a priority than during initial months - for example, 11/09 internet speed at crawl and fixed next day; 06/10 speed at crawl now for second week and still not fixed
  • hotel staff friendlier (as they have gotten to know me) and WOW what they are willing to share (another posting, perhaps?)
  • 4-cup coffee pots replaced with single-cup brewers - why?
  • lotion bottles no longer automatic
  • 24/7 coffee remains but with turnover of staff, not always filled at night - but refill made at the slightest request
  • used to get 3 washcloths, towels, hand towels; now 2 of each
  • late morning departures (9:30 AM+) - used to always return to made-up room; now about 75% of time

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Halftime Report - 160th night
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"4-cup coffee pots replaced with single-cup brewers - why?"

When I first encountered the single-cup brewer at a Marriott Conference Center @ UMUC a little over a year ago*, I was told Marriott was testing them.  The principal reason given by the staff is a more hygenic/sanitary approach to in-room hot beverage brewing given the H1N1 epidemic.

* Marriott Inn & Conference Center @ UMUC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreenman

nice report card.  are you going to pass it along to the student (Hotel mgmt)?

Not that this was a focus of your comments, but did anyone see the fine article in usa today a few days back referencing the cost-saving cutbacks hotels are making and selling them to their customers as "green" initiatives? Interesting.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pingreeman,

You should be a Marriott secret shopper for this excellent post and review!  It's amazing that the little things are often neglected and consistency is often the first thing to go.

I also saw that USA Today article about "green" being a cover for elimination of taken for granted services.  A trade publication, Hotel Interactive, has been telling hoteliers for months how to reduce amenities and apparently make the guest feel as if nothing has changed!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pingreeman,

Very nice report!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I think the coffe pot change was most definitely about saving money.  When by myself, I would use the 4-cup pouch and drink usually one cup and waste the rest.  Now I can make, and drink, one cup, and if I want more it's easy enough to get additional packets. And, personally, I prefer the taste of the one-cup packs. And, heck, I'm more concerned with catching crabs in a hotel than H1N1 virus.

nuhusker  - Isnt it funny, I used to get the coffe pot ready the nite before, wake up, and get it started while I took my shower.  I do not like the singles, and now rarely even drink a cup before leaving my room.  So in my case, Marriott has saved a lot. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pingreeman -- you're right...the 4 cup pot is a rare find these days, but if you ever have occasion to stay at Anaheim Marriott Suites, you'll find it there.  Very good coffee!

well, I see 7 happy faces and 5 not-so-happy faces.  I would think Marriott would strive for 12 happy faces and ZERO no-so-happy.  lots of work to do.  The Marriott I stay in most weeks seems to be in "renovation mode" 100% of the time.  while I almost always am pleased when completed, the renovation period seems to never stop.  That suggests to me that they are putting band aids on problems more than permanent fixes.  Plus, the efforts to make the lobby's refreshed is nice, but how many of us live in the lobby???  How many of us work in the lobby?  how many of us work out in the lobby?  what do you think?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...