6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2010 12:32 AM by drewtipton RSS

Bait and Switch National Car style

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I rent cars virtually every day of the year for business, and am compensated by the rental car companies with top tier membership and "free" rental days. Thus far this year with National Car alone I have accumulated 10 free days. I have other benefits from Hertz.

I decided to use one of those "free" days to take a Cadillac to another airport, one way.  The fee, amazingly went from around 300 dollars to 18 dollars, the taxes for the rental. That was the "free" day price and OK with me.

Today I got a reminder email about the Cadillac reservation tomorrow and discovered that National decided (without telling me) to add a 50 dollar "Luxury car rental adjustment" to the 18 bucks, bringing the total with taxes to just about eighty bucks! Had I not checked I would have gotten the direct bill and been less than thrilled.

This is pure Bait and Switch, especially when they treat their most valued (their words) customer this way.  I wonder if anyone else has found this to be the case and where?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Bait and Switch National Car style
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

That is really terrible!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Stepping, I am Exec Elite with National as well and have never had that issue.  What airport/location was that at?  I would call the exec number ask for a customer service manager, heck I'd probably go to a regional manager and raise unholy hell.  The entire perk of reaching the exec elite level with national is to use free days (earned not the promo ones from rent 2 deal) for *any* car on the lot.

For example, I just returned from San Diego where I had reserved a luxury class car.  When I arrived I was told, all we have is the standard full size, take your pick.  I walked in, found the site manager and politely reminded him that status counts and encouraged him to find a suitable car for the class I rented.  What do you know, 4mins later he shows up with a Mercedes C300 Gotta say I was impressed, total cost $18.13 for the two days.  Turns out they have a "luxury-elite" class that apparently is typically for the "VIP" level members.

Let us know what you find, this would be reason enough to stop using National for me if my free days were suddenly less valuable.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"4mins later he shows up with a Mercedes C300"

Fancy and very cool. Success stories are terrific, wish there were more of them.

kahunapremier Platinum

Plat with Hertz, no issues on my end. Avis First and get great upgrades with no issues. Have National card, don't use them as much.

But that is sweet that 18 bucks cover a rental car!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Didnt realize Hertz had a higher level?  My company would prefer me to use them or Avis but I had heard from coworkers that they were just not as rewarding as National.  If now National is changing their stripes, perhaps Hertz will become equally or more attractive.  Can you tell us what the Plat level with Hertz gets you and what you need to get it?

Thanks!

BTW, here's the C300 they gave me in San Diego.  If you are using them ask for the luxury class at the counter in the larger markets

drewtipton Gold

Wow... you actually get upgrades with Avis First?!  I'm impressed!  I've been Avis First for 3 years now, have over 150 days/year with them, and I still get nickeled-and-dimed over upgrades, particularly in DC and San Jose...  San Francisco is a bit less stingy, but is still pretty much so...  most airports, I don't have an issue with....

I had a Premium class car reserved a couple of weeks ago at Avis San Jose--in the new Rental Car center.  I get there, and they try to tell me that a Dodge Charger is an _upgrade_ from a Premium!  This week at Washington-Dulles, they tried to give me a Chrysler 300 as an upgrade from a Premium...  I finally managed to talk them into an Explorer, but they tried to change my rate, until I was pretty adamant about it....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...