3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2010 7:26 AM by tippingbob RSS

Even Par

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Open's final round was played under cloudy, cool and windy conditions.  In a rare show of correctness, the USGA Executive Director chastised Tiger for commenting on the "awful" greens at Pebble Beach.  Tiger still finished in the top five. And perhaps the greens were?

Consensus among those with whom I spoke was that Pebble Beach Golf Links lived up to its reputation as a very hard public course to play under US Open conditions.  Approximately 37,000 spectators came each day to see the golf, many waiting for buses up to three hours (not my job or worry since I was moving people from place to place within Del Monte Forest, AKA Pebble Beach) to get to the course then another two hours to get back.  Helped the flow of merchandise in those tents however  I asked if the same applied to the HDTV's (60 inch Sony Bravias) that were every few feet inside and ourtside--the answer was no.

I estimate that the logo merchandise will be deeply discounted conme August or even sooner.

Now our sleepy little peninsula can go back to its bucolic ways for a few months when the Concours comes to town.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pebble Beach, California, USA
  • Re: Even Par
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

SteppingStones -- this US Open definitely had it's share of exciting and interesting moments.  Who would have thought the 54-hole leader would go from 6 under to finish at +5.  And I watched the celebrity challenge which included Drew Brees whose handicap is under 5, and he couldn't even break 100 on the US Open course set up.  Those greens did look to me to be some of the hardest, most unforgiving I've ever seen.  Thank you again for the on-the-scene reports, photos and updates.  Wonder if we can find someone in the Bethesda area to do the same next year.  Can't wait!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

NUHusker, If Marriott will comp me I'll go!

tippingbob Platinum 8 Reviews

Just joined Insiders and saw your posting.  I was standing ready as a player evacuation volunteer (my 8th time volunteering for the US Open).  All my golf buddies commented on the look of the greens on TV.  So Tiger and others who commented on the greens were only voicing what knowledgeable golf viewers saw.  But, it was exciting to see these ladds hacking it around the cliffs of Pebble.  One could expect a UKer to survive Sunday since the conditions looked like Scotland or No. Ireland.  The weather was a factor but that is golf. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...