5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 9:41 AM by tef6178 RSS

Conditioner not a room basic?

joestrip Member
Currently Being Moderated

With fluids being limited in carry on baggage, I didn't bring hair conditioner on my recent trip to Rome and Greece.  I assumed it would be a basic in the hotel room along with the soap and shampoo.  Imagine my surprise to learn that it is no longer provided--body lotion trumps hair product.  When did that happen? How many people actually use lotion vs. conditioner?  If it is a cost cutting measure, why not delete both items from the bathroom and only provide one bar of soap and shampoo?  Just seems odd and disappointing to think that Marriott's amenities are going the way of the two star hotel but still charging a higher room rate.

• Re: Conditioner not a room basic?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I couldn't agree more -- even though I always bring conditioner and lotion with me since you never know.  While this may not seem the biggest issue in the world to Marriott, it is a significant problem for female travelers -- especially if there isn't a convenient supermarket across the street from the hotel.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

At least we're not in the Motel 6 stage of amenities with wafer thin soap and questionable unsealed shampoos!

I remember when Marriott Hotel rooms were stocked with at least five items, talc, a shoe shine cloth, a cotton ball and Q-Tip supply, and many other things.

The amenities at the Moscone Center Marriott at 4th and Market in San Fransisco were printed in English and Japanese (see photos)!(I never throw anything out)

Other large Marriott hotels, like the Marquis and Crystal Gateway, had individually named and logo-ed products in the rooms. Concierge level rooms even had plug in shoeshine machines.

There should be a Museum of Lost Marriott Amenities, which could be built alongside the others at the Smithsonian. Since so many have gone away it might be valuable for future generations to come to marvel at what once was a given when you stayed at a Marriott. I'd be willing to contribute some of my stash.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I can only speak to the handful of Marriotts that I typically stay at, but so far conditioner still seems to be a staple.  Is this problem more of an international thing?  Does the front desk provide the conditioner when you ask for it, or is it just not available anymore at those particular hotels?

joestrip Member 2 Reviews

When I was at the Greece Marriott and conditioner was not there, I assumed it was a cost cutting item along with the pen and pad of note paper (once a room basic).   I did ask at the desk for a pen since I knew they had to have lots.  On check out the clerk asked if there was anything I would like to suggest that would have enhanced my stay.  I would have loved to have told them better mattresses, but only mentioned that conditioner should be returned as a basic item.  The clerk said it was an excellant suggestion.  Another clerk at the desk overheard the conversation and said "did you ask us to supply you with some? You should have."

I remember in the past check-in desks could supplied forgotten emergencies items like comb, toothbrush etc.  as a courtsey.  It had not occurred to me that conditioner was now be a courtsey item.

In Rome, the conditioner was supplied in the upgraded room we were lucky enough to get on day 2&3 because I was sick and we needed twin beds.  It was not there on day 1 in the basic room or the final day when we rechecked in and were given a basic room.  So possibly conditioner is only supplied to the upper level guests and that may be the type of rooms you are staying in.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have had rooms recently with conditioner and without. I wonder if this is a decision made at the hotel level since joestrip was told by the front desk to ask for it. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...