4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2010 8:50 PM by nuhusker RSS

Dayton, OH Marriott critique

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I stayed last night at the Dayton Marriott just for one night while passing thru.  Checked in about 6pm, and was welcomed and thanked (believe it or not) as a platinum member.  Didn't ask for an upgrade, but was told that I was in a Concierge king very close to the lounge and was aksed if that was ok or would I like to be moved a little farther down the hall. Was also reminded that internet was free, and was given the low down on lounge hours, etc.  A nice welcome! The room was updated with the flat screen tv, which it didn't have a year ago when I stayed there.  One drawback to the room was the AC/Heater unit in the wall, like the ones at FFI.  Kind of noisy, and hard to get temp adjusted. The lounge didn't offer anything special in the evening, but the beer was the coldest I ever had in a concierge lounge.  But this morning, they had bacon!  Awesome.  I remember a post a while back where Mr. Marriott was real proud that Marriott concierge lounges were serving bacon, but this is the first one I've seen since then.  Hope it becomes standard.  I got my paper at the door per my profile.  So all in all, I'd say they exceeded my expectations in every way except the ac unit. Professional, friendly, welcoming staff, coldest beer, and bacon -- gets my vote for a place I'll return to.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dayton, Ohio, USA
  • Re: Dayton, OH Marriott critique
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker, must be the "Big Ten" influence that mattered?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

SteppingStones -- very sore point.  I've always been a Cornhusker and will be till the end, but what I've always thought of the Big Ten can't be printed here. But I will take their cold beer anytime. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I was surprised that Nebraska and for that matter Penn State, my Alma mater, would succumb to the B-10 stuff.  Being independent Penn State might have had a better reason but Nebraska?

If you hear why (other than financial reasons) please let us know.

Like a bunch of other people, I have a take on this situation, but I'll defer to Coach Osborne's explanation.  Essentially, it looked like Colorado, the Texas teams, and the Oklahoma teams were headed to the Pac-10.  I think Nebraska was honestly concerned that without those teams, there'd be no clout left in the Big 12, and didn't want to find itself on the outside looking in.  And of course the Big 10's interest in expansion, and subsequent offer was timely.  And the bottom line, of course, $$$$$$$. From a fan's perspective, a move like this could only be done by Coach Osborne.  You might remember that he was a hard driver for creation of the Big 12 in the 90's.  So I suspect this move was a tough one even for him, but the $$$$$$$ soothed the sore spot.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...