9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2010 9:10 PM by disable RSS

Reduced points

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott Rewards might consider the following:  why not reduce the number of points required for an award stay based on the level of Elite status?

As an example, the current point level required for a seven night stay at the Marriott Marquis in NYC is 240,000.  Why not make these adjustments?

Silver:  240,000

Gold:  220,000

Platinum:  200,000

This would add real incentive to the use of points and at the same time reward those most loyal to the program who choose to use their points.

While it would be nice to see this as an ongoing thing, it might also be realistic to expect that it would only work for a few stays per year to prevent the draining of the coffers art Marriott.

Most of us (me included) keep hanging on to our points for the most bang they can give--as in the Marquis, where those 240K points are worth nearly $3,000 in hotel and taxes.

Anyone think this has merit?

• Re: Reduced points
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

How about the Marriott giving four guaranteed suite upgrades at time of reservation per year for Platinum Members like Hyatt has offered. This would be great for those that travel a lot and when travelling with the family, the luxury of a suite for their accommodation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Great idea--let's see if it can be done.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

I like both ideas but the suite upgrade would really alleviate some angst for me.  I always feel like free upgrades while on points are definitely the result of who happens to be the one to answer your question, rather than any rhyme or reason related to availability, service or status.  We are headed to Aruba in a few weeks and the check in process is what I most dread.  How nice it would be to know my family and I would automatically have a little extra space without having to worry that we talked to the wrong person, or were in the wrong place in line or the moon was in alignment with Saturn--all of which seem to be reasons for denial of upgrades while on points.

Calling or emailing ahead for a rez sometimes does the trick--I managed to discover the names of rooms control managers at key hotels and am not bashful about contacting them.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

As indicated, Hyatt offers their top membership 4 complimentary suite upgrades upon reservation, on availability, per year...How about the Marriott following suit?

HyattDiamond Membership

After 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights in a calendar year, you will experience the highest level of membership and have access to our most generous benefits and awards.

Key Benefits:

• 30% point bonus on each stay
    • Complimentary Internet access

(new)

• Guaranteed 48-hour room availability

(new)

• Four suite upgrades annually

(new)

http://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/membership.jsp

lesliepamel Platinum

Any idea to improve points value for members is good. However as you know MVCI timeshare  members are the poor relations in any hotel when using points.

EG It takes the surrender of two weeks timeshare to be awarded 220,000 points. Two weeks timeshare in 1986 cost $26,000, This capital amount rates as $1040 a year over 25 years.

The maintenance for two weeks times share is $2026

To exchange time into rewards there is an admin charge of $142.

So, for the timehare owner giving up 14 nights in a 2 bed villa for 7 nights in an hotel. the deal will cost him $3208.

When if he paid cash it would only cost $2900.

So considering thats its cheaper to pay cash, and more favourable to have 14 nights intead of 7.

I reckon that Marriott should reduce the hotel cost to - lets say -half price to MVCI owners.  120,000 to stay in NYC.

It won't happen I know. that is because Marriott is very mean, and truly treats it's MVCI owners badly.    

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I love the whole idea of reduced points for elite members, but doubt it will happen.

However, I agree with SteppingStones that emailing ahead and corresponding with the manager or concierge often makes a huge difference in how you are treated upon arrival. My experience is mostly with Europe, but it has worked almost always there -- whether it be early arrival, complimentary upgrades to suites or whatever.

In short, you become a person -- and a valued member -- rather than a number on a reservation.

ProfChiara

greendalejill Platinum

I think that is a great idea.  An upgrade is a nice thought if they have it available, but the enticement of fewer points for those of us who are loyal to Marriott would help keep us coming back with more interest for those special treats instead of just looking for the best deal out there.  It could be at any of the upper tier hotels, not just the Marriott Marquis.

disable Silver

good idea if Icould ever use the points I have at hotels I want or on datesI would like

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...