8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 3:47 PM by pokee RSS

Promotions giving Cat 1-4 e-Certificats

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The last two promotions, one from the Marriott Visa and one from Marriott, are offering CAT 1-4 ecerts as the reward.  Don't know about all of you, but I don't look forward to going away with my wife, after weeks on the road, and stay outside some city in a Fairfield, because anything close to where we would want to go would be a CAT 5 or greater. 

Just can't do much with a 1-4.  If you are going to give rewards, make them rewards.  I would rather earn one CAT 1-5 or 1-6 than two 1-4s.

Thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Promotions giving Cat 1-4 e-Certificats
    chazdawg Platinum

I would agree that when they're limited Cat 4, it's tough to find a place I would consider a nice getaway location.  There are, of course, the diamonds in the rough.

Often, though, I tend to use those for business more than pleasure.  I have to be mindful of rates more often for work travel than personal.  Since I have the luxury of paying for my trips on my Marriott Visa and getting reimbursed, I simply take the bill I get the morning of check out and use that for reimbursement...then take any free certs or bonus bucks and have them applied before I leave and get an updated bill for my own records.

By utilizing those techniques...I can more easily justify spending the money on myself when I travel for pleasure.

ChazDawg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Agreed.

chazdawg Platinum

LOL

Short and to the point...nice.

;-)

Chaz

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The Visa Premier Card offers a category 1-5 free night, BTW and I have that stored for future use.

kahunapremier Platinum

That annual cert has a time/date stamp of 6 months, then it expires. IMO, Marriott and VISA need to redo that part of the contract and make those certs with no time/date limits.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Correct, though that is the once a year anniversary perk and 1-5 is OK, though the 6 mth window to use it is problematic, depending on your anniversary date.  My opinion is you should have 12 mths to use it.  

Unfortunately, the Summer special (one certs per three stays) is a 1-4, which has to be used by 12/31.  The Marriott Visa had a three-month spending perk, providing for two 1-4 certs, to be used by 12/31.

The certs are my little perk to go places on weekends with the Mrs.  Unfortunately, there are not that many places I would want to go where I could leverage a 1-4.  Can't do a night in Manhattan, or downtown Boston, or anywhere near beaches. 

If they would just consider bumping them to 1-5, your choices open up tremendously.  Not trying to be a whiner regarding free stuff, but, though we don't pay for these, we definitely earn them and would just like more flexibility in how they are used.  Nuff said, I guess.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

You won't get any arguments from me either. Those certs which are good for Cat 1-4 are pretty much worthless to me.

I also agree with everybody on the 6 month expiration of the Anniversary certs. My date is in October which means that the cert has to be used during the winter. Again worthless.

pokee Silver 4 Reviews

Yeah, this is the issue that I am dealing with at this very moment (since I just applied for my card).  Of course, I didn't see the 6 month expiry business until AFTER I applied, so when my card arrives, I need to call Chase Visa to see how they can help me delay the issue of my 'sign-up' cert. and also delay my anniversary date (so my annual award certs will not be valid only during the winter).

I am not sure if this will all be resolved by just delaying the activation of my card, but it seems as though they will issue the cert and my first statement, regardless of when the card is activated...although I won't be sure of that until I call.  I should be getting my card next week, so I'll be sure to post an update after I've spoken with them...

I think it would be a worthy exercise for anyone that has an 'untimely' anniversary date to call to see if it can be pushed back to facilitate the usefulness of the annual certs.

I do agree that the cat 1-4 is a tough thing to find...I've been looking and can't find much for cities I am interested in...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...