8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2010 9:38 AM by tcandy RSS

Upgrade Rooms

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I find that I rarely, if ever, get upgraded. And I often do not even get on the concierge floor at Marriott's or Renaissance's. When I check in I actually have to ask if an upgrade is available, versus, being giving an upgrade.  As a platinum member who stays nearly 125 nights in Marriott properties, I am surprised at how little I am giving an upgrade, even after I ask.

If you read the terms and conditions of the Platinum level on the Marriott website, it says that Platinum members will be offered an upgraded room, if available. 

I am beginning to wonder why not try a different hotel program. As a platinum member with Marriott, I really do not feel that I receive benefits equal with this title and I wonder if the Hilton or Starwood program is better? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Upgrade Rooms
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I used tio get these kinds of upgrades regularly but recently have had to ask.  One factor is the time that you check in -- the earlier the better for upgrades. And, if you are at a particular hotel a lot, the room upgrade might be blocked for you.  That was the case for me at one hotel where I spent 110 nights every year for thee consecutive years.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arena3jean Member 8 Reviews

Yes I agree, there should be more pampering.....

christiank Platinum

Upgrades to the concierge floor are limited and I have noticed that they seem to be based on your status level, hotel availability, how many nights you are staying, and when you check in.  Assuming you are at least platinum and the concierge level rooms have not been sold. The numbers of nights you are staying can have a significant effect on the room you get as well as the price you pay.  I have noticed that I am more likely to be upgraded to the concierge level when I check in on Sunday and out on Friday then if check in on Monday and out on Thursday.  Similarly, the longer I stay sometimes dictates a lower per night rate.  If I have done everything else right I also noticed that the earlier I check in tends to have some small effect  on an upgrade.

bostonsports Platinum

For the last four years I have stayed at the same Marriott for about 20 nights per year and usually for four nights per stay. As a platinum member I am never offered an upgrade.  What bothers me even more is that they can't even acknowledge that I stay at this hotel so often.  I hope someone from Marriott is reading these posts for I have also considered looking at other programs.  They also talk about the Elite check in desk but as I travel around the country no one is ever at that desk and I stand in line just like everybody else.  TIME TO STEP UP YOUR GAME MARRIOTT 

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Once again on this thread, it may depend upon what you define as an upgrade.

If you mean upgraded to a suite, that happens to me maybe 5% of my checkins.

If you mean upgraded to the Concierge floor (at full-service RENNs, MARRs and JWs), I cannot remember a checkin when I was NOT upgraded to concierge.

Perhaps it has to do with my area of usual business travel --- which is California, Arizona, Washington state, Alaska and Illinios ----  in that properties in those area may tend to have more concierge availability.

klaus29 Silver

i am retired  and book  my  reservation  3 months before

my arrival  date

3 weeks  bevore  my  i check in  i send a e mail  to the

hotel, i explaine i am platium member  and ask  for a

upgrate  to a suite. for  the  suite  i get only  a 10 prozent

satisfaction.  but  A 90 prozent i get satisfaction  for a nice

room  on the executive  floor  ou a junior suite. free of charge

dont wait  the  day  when you  check in, a 90 prozent

you have to pay  for a upgrate. dont vergette the

front desk get a commission   what you pay for your

upgrate. incredible but true  when you pay  you have rooms

avaible

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks Klaus.

I fully agree.

I also find it effective to add a "Remark" to the reservation that requests a Premier Platinum upgrade.  Now, I am calling reservations with these requests (used to be able to do this right on the old online reservation forms on page 2).

I plan to call in my upgrade requests until the "Remarks" box re-appears on the reservation pages.  This almost always results in an upgrade and - on about 10% of my checkins - to a suite.

tcandy Platinum 1 Reviews

I would suggest you look at the Starwood and Hilton program.

I have the same issues, I have to usually ask, if you know of any other way, let me know

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...