11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2010 8:47 AM by frito6851 RSS

Being civil--pass it on

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Maybe I am a magnet for the poor behavior of others, but recently I have seen it everywhere.  Take for example the man in the hallway who saw me coming but happily entered the elevator and quickly pressed the "down" button so he would not have to wait another second and let me join him.  Or the fellow who cut in a long line to speak with a stranger ahead of us and cut in the line. He did ask if I minded.

I could bore everyone with other examples but there are no lack of them and everywhere--from the loud cell phone conversationalists, to the rude drivers, to the overly happy, happy hour patrons who demand service. Bartenders have them everywhere I hear.

At Marriott they are here as well, but less in number.  Fewer smoking scofflaws are around now at least at MVCI's Shadow Ridge where I am at the moment. Less wild behavior at the pools. But it is 112 so that cuts down on most exertion.

I long for a return to civility and have seen many examples of courtesy to counterbalance the bad stuff. While tempted to return the favor the bad things I find myself keeping a smile on and being nice.  Why can't others?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Being civil--pass it on
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

SteppingStones, I agree that good manners and general  consideration for others is definitely in short supply.  Like you, I try not to return to lack of civility, but I definitely leave the impression with the offender that I find the behavior out of line.  If we all ignore the problem, it just gets worse, and soon completely out of hand.  On the other hand, I also try to recognize in some way when I see the opposite -- such as the one who holds the door or the elevator, or the one who realizes his phone conversation is annoying to others and leaves the room, and so on.  And, the last person I'm gonna tick off is the bartender!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep, Never mess with bartenders--also my motto!

As this NYT story leads:  "Are your Facebook friends more interesting than those you have in real life?"  I am guessing that technology has overcome civility for many people.

bigjoey Member 8 Reviews

Frown Civility has certainly become a lost art! 

In years past I looked forward to vacation because my fellow humanoids would at least attempt to be civil; at least thats what I remember. However as I travel around this country it seems mankind cannot restrain from putting their own self interest above all else. Whether its holding an elevator, acting adult like in a lounge or being boisterous at dinner. After the holidays became commercial enterprises, loosing their true meaning in the process, it is no surprise that vacations also bring out the worse in (some) people.  As with all things in life the human condition has certainly taken a turn for the worse.          

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good question.  There may be only a few of us neanderthals remaining who aren't on facebook, but I do agree that much of the communications technology and lack of old fashion personal interaction has contributed to the disappearance of traditional social skills.

lorirobert Platinum

I agree that the lack of simple common manners is shocking anymore, regardless of where I am in public.  I am trying to instill those values in my 6 year old.  We always talk about and enforce the rules of the priveledge of staying in a hotel - no running, no shouting, no slamming doors, etc.  Recently someone in the room next to us put out a VERY dirty and stinky diaper on the hallway floor outside of their door.  The smell was horrible and it sat there for hours.  This was at a JW property.  When my son was in diapers I would take each dirty diaper, tie it tightly in a special scented diaper disposal bag and walk it down to the lobby bathroom and put it in the garbage can so nobody had to smell it.  I am a firm believer in holding elevator doors for everyone, especially the workers with their cleaning or bag carts, even when they hesitate to get in with the guests.  I pick up my dirty towels and make the bed- I just don't feel because I am on vacation or traveling that another adult should have to pick up after me -  I didn't check my common courtesy at the front desk.  Everyone deserves common courtesy.   Thanks for the reminder to always "pay it forward" and act like a human being....a simple smile goes a long way, too!!  :) 

On a completely different note, I think Marriott should organize an "Insiders weekend" at one of the properties.....

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I didn't check my common courtesy at the front desk.  Everyone deserves common courtesy.   Thanks for the reminder to always "pay it forward" and act like a human being....a simple smile goes a long way, too!!

Well said, especially the part about the front desk.

"On a completely different note, I think Marriott should organize an "Insiders weekend" at one of the properties....."

Who will maintain the civility when it comes to getting an upgrade? (ducking)

lorirobert Platinum

TJC New York- LOL!  I guess we would all have to duke it out for the best room!

superchief1 Platinum

I have definitely noticed a similar trend. My two pet peeves are those who put towels on lounge chairs at the pool at 8:00am and show up at 1:00pm, and the idiots at the crowded gym who sit on a machine for 10 minutes with their headphones on and oblivious to other who are waiting. Workout etiquette is clearly a thing of the past, and personal trainers are often the worst offenders. At least during the spandex era people would let you work in between sets while they were carrying on a conversation and posing.

Steppingstones, how did you like Shadow Ridge? We will be there in March.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"those who put towels on lounge chairs at the pool at 8:00am and show up at 1:00pm"

ditto

vpplayer Platinum

...and my own personal favorite:  The couple, family or group walking toward me taking up the entire width of the sidewalk and expecting me to step aside or off the sidewalk as we pass.  When that happens I just stop, smile, look them in the eye, and wait for them to decide whether to alter their course or run into me.  Works pretty well. It's funny (in a sad way) when kids run smack into me especially when their parents are around.

• If you can do nothing else - be civil, kind, and decent!
    frito6851 Silver

We just returned from mid-town Atlanta, GA - there to be with my 44 y/o brother during his chemo at Emory near by the next morning at 8am. I was shocked at the people across the hall who continued to let a door SLAM during a period of almost 2 hours at check in - this began about 7pm. These were not children, but adults. The door lock bar was extended through the door thresh hold, so as to add to the enjoyment / frustration - uggghhh. By 9pm - I got up, walked over and asked nicely, but firmly to please be mindful of ALL the people staying in the hotel (the entire floors needs, desire to rest / relax, etc) - and to PLEASE discontinue this practice, as the hour was late. At what point do we loose self control, have no thoughtfullness for a fellow travelers feelings, or to at least be CIVIL in a common area / hotel? It has become more of a chore to find places that area NOT wired, do NOT have cell reception, or somewhere one does NOT have to endure overbering conversations. The list could go on & on - but I feel for those people who travel for a living. If you can do nothing else - be civil, kind, and decent!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...