3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 6:52 PM by spurfan RSS

Boston Long Wharf

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just spent four days at Boston Long Wharf Marriott.  Great location for getting a lot of walking in; great restaurants nearby.

Hotel, however, is just okay.  No upgrades; got stuck right smack dab in the middle of two families with very small children...not bad unless you are there are business as I was.  Concierge lounge also filled with small children and blaring cartoons...sigh!   Housekeeping was also very, very lax but since I didn't get back to room until late evening a couple of nights due to business commitments I didn't bother calling.

Wish list: this is a VERY noisy hotel; wish there were better sound proofing between rooms--you honestly could hear every move the person above and beside you made (and I'm sure mine were equally annoying!); and also more attention paid to business travelers and Platinum status.

Will be traveling to the area more; anyone have any good Marriott suggestios in downtown Boston that are more business traveler friendly?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Boston Long Wharf
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Your review is on-point, the guest rooms at Marriott's Long Wharf are just ok.  Don't be fooled, the concierge level rooms are identical to standard rooms.

Depending upon the length of stay and the nature of your business activities in Boston, I highly recommend the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf* or Marriott's Custom House**.  My favorite property is the Custom House, a Marriott Vacation Club.  It's a short walk from the Long Wharf and the properties are linked so that you can use the Fitness Club at the Long Wharf and bill dining and other services to your suite at the Custom House.   The building has magnificent views, the staff outstanding; plus, the T-stop is across the street, the dining, shops and nightlife of Quincy Market are only steps away.

The Residence Inn Tudor Wharf is right on the water with great views of Boston but the T-stop is a hike.  Although a brisk walk across the bridge to the North End, it's a more residential neighborhood feel than the Financial District where the Custom House is located.

Last on my list is the Marriott Copley Square.  If you're attending a convention at the Hynes, Marriott Copley Square is the better choice since the Marriott is part of a huge downtown megacomplex interconnected to the Hynes.  I've stayed there many times for 1 or 2 nights, but much prefer either the Custom House or Tudor Wharf for a longer stay.

For a 3-4 night stay especially in Boston, I really enjoy the convenience of having a king suite with a separate living room and full kitchen or a kitchenette with a dining table. Rest and relaxation is really important in order to function when you're on the road.  To that point, I find that Tudor Wharf or Custom House always delivers because if feels more like a home than a standard hotel room.

From a points earning perspective, the Custom House is a better deal since you earn 10 points per $/qualified revenue. At Residence Inn it's only 5 points.  Plus,  Platinum earns 500 points arrival gift at Custom House vs. less at RI Tudor Wharf.

For highlights of recent stays, see the posts below; and whatever you choose have a great stay in Boston the next time around.

* Residence Inn Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf

** Marriott's Custom House

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You've hit a nerve (and long-standing gripe) for me with this excellent post on Boston's Long Wharf.

I find that this hotel and many others are guilty of not making a distinction  between their "bread and butter" business travelers and their leisure travelers. Both can be accommodated--that's the basis of hospitality isn;t it?

Nowhere is this more evident than in the lounges these days, many of which have become baby-sitting areas where loud music and conversation, and kids taking one bite and then throwing the rest of their food away, is all too common.

If I ruled the rooms control world I would do the following:

• Ensure that the concierge level is truly that and reserved for business travelers first whenever possible.

• Enforce some guest limits in the Lounge

• Attempt whenever possible to aggregate business travelers to a certain area of the hotel, and be aware that intermingling them with families with small kids is not fair, and can lead to problems.

Naturally, folks will see this as being unfair to families, and perhaps it is. But, is is fair to the business traveler?

As for other locations, Copley and the Renaissance are a tad more expensive but perhaps more amenable.

spurfan Platinum

I have always enjoyed my stays at the Copley Marriott.  Their Concierge Lounge was one of the best around.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...