13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 9:50 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Residence Inn Merrimack New Hampshire Welcomes Platinum

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We're back in New Hampshire for a post-Memorial Day vacation getaway. To burn some points, I redeemed a PointSavers at the Residence Inn Nashua Merrimack.

Unlike several recent experiences at Residence Inns that others have reported, since booking the reservation here, it's been a highly positive and rewarding experience.

Including the gatehouse, this property has 14 buildings across several thickly wooded acres.  Twelve buildings are townhouse type units with 3 floors, each with 8 units.  Four units on the ground floor are 1 bedroom or king studios.  Two units are two bedroom and the remainder are 2 bedroom 2 bath duplex with a loft, fireplace and full kitchen.

On a pointsaver I was able to get a complimentary upgrade to the 2 bedroom 2 bath duplex with a full kitchen, fireplace and loft. The big surprise was the cathedral ceiling that soars up to the loft area.  In addition to complimentary breakfast every morning, there is complimentary dinner too.  The staff is welcoming, smiling, and exceptionally well-trained.

If there is one issue at fault, it is the implementation of smoke free units.  Don't get me wrong, our duplex is smoke-free.  However, it is very evident that the first floor units are occupied by guests that smoke.  There are cigarette butts littering the front of the entrance, the steps to our unit and the pathway in front.  It's an eyesore and a turnoff.  In a smoke free world, grounds maintenance requireds scrutiny.  To make it worst, try and visualize a thickly wooded area with cigarette butt litter.  What are these smokers thinking?

We figured that since our turf was smoke-free what happens outside will not bother us.  But, we noticed that no one was cleaning them up!  After bringing to the Front Desk attention, the matter was taken care of immediately.  We haven't seen butt litter in more than a day now so we figure the 1st floor guest checked-out or was moved.  Happily, the duplex is smoke-free and the forest floor butt-free.

P.S. As a suggestion, Designated Smoking Areas were written on the Comment Card.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI50.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI47.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI49.jpg

Above:  Stairway to loft, Fireplace, Living Room

Below:  View of Kitchen, Living Rm/Fireplace, Dining area

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI45.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI44.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI42.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI43.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI46.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI41.jpg

Above:  Loft area bath, desk, queen bed, cathedral ceiling

Below:  King bed on main floor

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI48.jpg

• Re: Residence Inn Merrimack New Hampshire Welcomes Platinum
    klaus29 Silver

very nice appartement and what i like   you have a floor

for smoker. at the advantage of each other

and you have a deal here  with the point saver program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Residence Inn/Norwood/Boston
    ricoviaje Platinum

Just about to check out; stayed here acouple of years ago instead of the Courtyard across the street. The price/value for a Sunday night was unimpressive cost about $175. Breakfast was uninspiring and the common area carpets are in need of a change as they look dingy. There was a woman at the front desk in the morning adamantly telling all within ear shot that she couldn't pay for the three nights and they only charged her one night...for $120!!! Talk about insult to injury. I will stay elsewhere next time asthis place didn't impress me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"you have a floor for smoker. at the advantage of each other"

That is incorrect and a mistaken perception.  All Marriott properties in the U.S.A. are smoke-free and this Residence Inn in New Hampshire is no exception.  Each of the buildings on this property has a minimum of 8 private entrance doors.  Each door has a No Smoking sign clearly posted.  There are no ashtrays or cigarette receptacles anywhere in front of the doors on the pathways, parking lot or Gatehouse.

Since Marriott has not created a designated smoking area, those who indulge think that the stairway, the pathway or the decks are ok and will leave their matches and cigarette litter wherever.  It's unslightly and a turn-off.  If not fully extinguished, they present a fire hazard.

As shown in the photos below, these buildings are constructed of heavy timber on a brick base.  The stairs and decks, posts and exposed roof are of heavy timber and or plywood construction.  Throughout the grounds, there is either asphalt paths, gravel, grass or wood chips - everywhere.

The buildings are surrounded by deciduous trees and providing a wonderful wildlife habitat including lots of birds, squirrels and hordes of chipmunks.   The chipmunks are particularly noteworthy as they are reddish brown with white and black markings.  They dash about finding acorns and burrow through the wood chips to bury them.

Aside from the health risks, smoking in this setting presents a clear fire and safety hazard.  Anyone with respect for his or herself or nature would want to protect it.  You wouldn't think of extinguishing a cigarette on the floor of your home would you?  Why then are these grounds an exception?

With very minor exception, most Marriott properties - especially resorts are neatly groomed, heavily manicured and provide spotless grounds and walking areas.  Marriott prides itself on upkeep and maintenance.  As a loyal guest, I appreciate that and hope that Marriott can rethink how to provide a solution by creating designated smoking zones to preserve health, safety and the natural environment.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI53.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI52.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI51.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI56.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI54.jpg http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/RI55.jpg

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

With very minor exception, most Marriott properties - especially resorts are neatly groomed, heavily manicured and provide spotless grounds and walking areas.  Marriott prides itself on upkeep and maintenance.  As a loyal guest, I appreciate that and hope that Marriott can rethink how to provide a solution by creating designated smoking zones to preserve health, safety and the natural environment.

TJC -- I'm with you on this one!  And it sounds like a real nice place to stay.

caldrich Platinum 1 Reviews

I've stayed at this property several times in the past year, and agree that the staff and facilities are very good. Didn't encounter the smoking problem and haven't taken advantage of the evening eats, but enjoyed the stays

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'm with you on this one!  And it sounds like a real nice place to stay."

Thanks NuHusker.  A few hours ago, Marriott sent a Guest Satisfaction Survey inviting feedback on our recent stay, here.  Since the Front Desk was so responsive to my comments, I will be candid and forthcoming about the positives and less-than-positive but in a constructive way.

Although we have stayed at many Residence Inns before, this was our first RI in the state of New Hampshire and we're looking to come back later in the year.  Ironically, it's only quarter of a mile from the Fairfield Inn Nashua Merrimack where we stayed 4 times last year.  Both properties had pointsavers available, so we opted to try something new and our expectations were exceeded.

Like the Fairfield Inn Nashua Merrimack, the Residence Inn is only about 20 minutes from the Massachusetts border and a half hour south of Lake Winnepesaukee, the 3rd largest lake in New England after Lake Champlain on the border of Vermont and New York, and Moosehead Lake in Maine.  My wife and I can't get enough of this area.

I have yet to write my review of Walter's Basin, a restaurant & pub we discovered on Lake Squam about 45 minutes north in Holderness, New Hampshire.  Stay tuned!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Caldrich,

Good for you!  How lucky you are! I'll consider changing the title from Platinum to Elite.   (Earlier at Insiders several Platinum Elite noted that several Residence Inns were not honoring Elite requests.  The RI's were pointing the finger at corporate for a policy change; corporate was saying it's up to the RI.)

So, my experience was a welcome surprise.  I am delighted to hear that it's not isolated, that a Gold Elite member is also pleased with the staff.  W/o exception, all of the staff members encountered were so courteous and responsive. I'm looking forward to submitting a glowing GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey).

• ,Re: Residence Inn Merrimack New Hampshire Welcomes Platinum
    klaus29 Silver

it is very evident that the first floor units is occupied

by  guest  that  smoke

this is  your  information

i speak only from  this hotel  and not from all marriott  brands

and at the advantage of each other  in this hotel

i speak from the pointsaver program a super deal

not one word  from you in  your answer.

where you see  my  incorrect perception?

please  dont  teach  to  much : whe  dont have to

think same you ..... same whe dont have to like what you like

I DONT KNOW  WHERE HAVE A INCORRECT PERCEPTION HERE

tjcnewyork Platinum

"please  dont  teach  to  much : whe  dont have to think same you ..... same whe dont have to like what you like"

Klaus  - There appears to be a miscommunication.  The intent is to make very clear that the 1st floor units are NOT intended for smokers. It's not about liking or disliking, it's Marriott's policy. This is also about Marriott delivering clean common areas, observing fire safety and preserving the natural environment.   Moving forward, let's be confident that Marriott will figure out a way to achieve this.

To recap, a very rude and inconsiderate guest, visitor (or associate) left their filthy cigarette butts and matches strewn on the pavement in front of the steps to my unit, on the deck and on the stairs.  These are common areas NOT a designated smoking area. It could have been anyone or a group of people (there were different brands of cigarette butts observed simply by the color of the filters).

While I specifically requested that the Front Desk check to make sure that the unit was fresh and free of any residual smoke the day before arrival and housekeeping met my expectations; grounds maintenance failed.  Once reported, staff was extremely responsive and dispatched a groundskeeper to take care of it.

Since this was our first time at this property, I had no concept of the common areas, but only the expectation that common areas are free of debris and certainly cigarette litter.  I'm confident that I am not alone and many other guests share this expectation.  We are looking forward to coming back and next time will specifically request that the unit and the common areas be in order.

Lastly, I have high confidence that Residence Inn staff welcomed my feedback and suggestions.  In fact, at Marriott Lodging's invitation, I just completed a 16-page Guest Satisfaction Survey assigning a '10' where deserved and clear commentary on expectations about grounds maintenance and common areas.

It is evident you enjoy participating in the Insiders community. However, it's quite difficult and often frustrating to understand your writing.  Cutting through an attitude is the least of concerns, but responding to what comes across as an incoherent post can be downright challenging.  To improve, have you considered a course in English as a second language?

klaus29 Silver

TJC NEW YORK

I AGREE WITH YOU .......THIS POST  IS  VERY EXPLICITE

AND POLITE

ONE MORE TIME  I AM HAPPY  DIT YOU GET THIS   RESIDENCE

WITH THE POINT SAVER PROGRAM.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

This looks like a very nice hotel and I'm very glad that the staff was responsive, including picking up the cigarette butts.  When things are below standard, we need to be able to politely but firmly explain what is expected.

I've just stayed at a couple of Marriott properties where the ashtrays were actually the legal distance away from the doors - which is a step in the right direction.  A Courtyard Inn in Denver, and a Courtyard in Houston.  Two out of all the hotels I've stayed in, but that's better than the previous level of none.

I prefer the older Residence Inns which are in separate buildings and the older Courtyard Inns as well.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Techie

How interesting that you post today.  My wife and I love New Hampshire, the people, sightseeing and activities.  We're back in Merrimack, NH at the Residence Inn and housekeeping and the grounds crew delivers a clean, fresh-smelling and cigarette-litter-free property!  Indeed, a step in the right direction.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Nashua Merrimack
    Nashua, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Nashua

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...