13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2010 9:31 PM by december31 RSS

Dublin Shelbourne

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My best advice to all of you is to avoid the Dublin Shelbourne at all costs -- it is not in the least way at the level of what one expects of European Marriotts, especially at the price level.  I could have stayed for three weeks in Ghent at a wonderful hotel for what I am paying here.  Platinum status seems to mean nothing.The "heritage lounge" requires a map to find it -- it lacks most everything -- and then requires the map to renavigate to one's floor since no elevator is there. I did have the opportunity to speak at length with another Plat member who has met Bill Marriott while in the lounge (before we found our byzantine way out) and she agreed this was not even close to Marriott standards.

In my room, the bed was either never upgraded to Marriott standards or has been occupied by many obese couples for the past five years (sorry, I'm upset).  My 5'6" frame/feet hang over the bottom of the bed substantially and it is impossible to get comfortable unless sleeping diagonally.  The view?  Tops of hotel steam stacks.  I will never, ever stay here again.

The one exception is the restaurant, where the food and restaurant staff are excellent.  The hotel is anything but.  I will have more to say when I get home but I want to make sure I have no further problems before I leave.

Ireland is wonderful; this hotel is anything but. I will write more once I'm sure my points have been posted.

ProfChiara

• Re: Dublin Shelbourne
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

How terribly disappointing!  So sorry to hear of your bad experience, Professor.  The hotel looks so nice on the website.... but we all know that website photos can be deceivng.

Please do write to Customer Care to get some compensation for your trouble.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Ireland itself!  Looking forward to hearing more and seeing your pics!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Sorry to hear about this place!

At least you will save us the trouble of staying there.

Hope the rest of the trip gets better!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jerry and NewHilton,

I have in some ways been hard on the hotel, but on the whole not.  The bathrooms are perfect (except a VERY high bathtub, rather surprising considering the very short bed), and there are multiple voltage outlets near the desk. Bathrobes, slippers, a safe, so forth. No American news or sports stations.  That's no big deal except that I'd occasionally like to check in at the end of the day to see what is happening on CNN.

But a terrible bed can ruin a lot along with a room with a terrible view.  But it might get worse -- I checked my bill online and there seem to be all kinds of charges I didn't make (I was reminded of travel editor Peter King of the Today Show who has talked about this at length). They also DID charge me for that first breakfast that they made me sign for saying it would not show up.  I'm spending my last afternoon in Dublin noting exactly what few services I purchased and which ones I did not to present at check-out. Then I do plan to contact customer service.

Also if any of you are thinking of coming, the difficult-to-find Heritage Lounge is entirely closed on the weekend and for the most part is really only open for anything useful from about 5-9:30pm.

I don't expect to come back, though I loved the rest of Ireland and will post some choice photos.

ProfChiara

rogdude Gold 1 Reviews

I just checked out of the Shelbourne on Monday, May 31st and found it to be an exceptional hotel.  sure, the heritage lounge was difficult to find the first time there, but I thought it was fine once there.  The hotel's location is one of the most superb spots in all of Dublin, and the green across the street is exceptional piece of property.  This is Dublin, for goodness sakes, if you expect a view of anything other than city, you should stay in a country manor or something.  the hotel is within easy walking distance of food, shopping and services.  My wife and I had a wonderful time there and found everyone most helpful at the hotel.

I am 6'2" and I fit on the bed just fine. YOu should have complained if you did not fit on the bed.  The beds are made different in different countries, but mine was excellent.

Hi RogDude,

I'm delighted you had a good experience at the Shelbourne.  I haven't, and while I would love a city view of any sort, my windows give me views of air conditioning units, roofs of nearby buildings, and other hotel windows. I didn't even expect a park view, but something other than what I have would have been nice.

I stay in European hotels 50-80 times a year, almost always at Marriotts and I have almost always been delighted (see my reviews of the Grand Flora, the Ghent Marriott, the London County Hall, the Rive Gauche, and many more).  But as a Platinum member, I don't think it's too much to ask that when you get a king bed that a 5'6" woman's feet don't hang over the bottom. Nor should I have to fit into huge concave spaces in the bed from previous travelers.  I have not experienced this anywhere else at European Marriotts.

The restaurant and its staff, as I said, was fabulous.  But even tonight when I went to the Heritage Lounge my card key wouldn't work. Finally after many tries I knocked on the door repeatedly. The nice lady who serves appetizers and drinks finally let me in, telling me that I'd probably have to get a new card key.

I'm loyal to Marriott for a reason, but they have not met (not even close) expectations at this hotel.  I love Ireland, but I won't stay here again.

It sounds like you think I'm very unreasonable in my expectations, but I think most other Insiders would not say so.

ProfChiara

lesliepamel Platinum

So sorry to hear of your bad experience. I visited that hotel in July last year, and I left with the opinion that it was a great hotel. I stayed on reward points and I was allocated a lovely room- # 658- which was far larger than most european rooms, and probably bigger than some U.S. rooms.The bathroom was styled on designs from the early 20th century, but all fittings had been newly made but with an old style. Afternoon tea in the lunge was great. The concierge lounge was difficult to locate, but it was one of the largest I have visited - and what views it had over st stephen's green. I also had the honour to visit the room where the Irish constitution was signed-that's real living history. 

Pics: 1. My bedroom, 2. My bathroom, 3. The Constitution room

Hi all,

It may simply be the luck of the draw.  A few friends told me till recently that it was a Meridien, so perhaps they are still in the process of upgrading some of the rooms to Marriott standards.

I want to emphasize that everyone at the hotel was lovely and most of my problems had to do with my room. Yes, I could have asked for a change after the first night, but that would have meant packing up all my things and moving during a short trip (I'm at Dublin airport flying home today).  The other problem, as I feared, were nine inaccurate charges on my bill at checkout.  They confirmed that none of them should have been charged to me so it didn't take too long to get it fixed.

That's probably a good thing to remember everywhere -- check your bill carefully.  There were everything from ginger ale charges that I didn't drink to small meals at the bar I never entered.  One thing that occurred to me that is a problem with the Heritage Room is that when you have a drink there you fill out your name, sign it and put your room number on it.  And there it sits on the table for anyone to see. While I have occasionally had unwarranted mini-bar charges tacked to my account elsewhere, this was the first set of unmade charges of this magnitude.

So for all of you who had a wonderful time at the Shelbourne, I would tell future visitors to simply check your bed (and view) first thing.  I will post some pictures of that when home, as well as some of glorious Ireland.

Top o' the mornin' to you all,

ProfChiara

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Professor:

Sorry to hear of your problems there.  I just got back from Amsterdam last night and will write about it.  Stand your ground!  I have always relied on your view of hotels!--Bill

mastersman Platinum

Professor,

Thank you for your candid rating of this hotel. I will make sure we do NOT stay there on our next trip to Ireland.

I am looking forward to your pictures as well.

Thanks again,

Mastersman

rogdude Gold 1 Reviews

Prof:

I was not trying to make it seem that you were being unreasonable, I just don't see how you got a room with a too short bed.  Maybe it is the Meridien thing you mentioned. Anyway, better luck with your next Marriott stay. My wife and I just loved the Shelbourne. Room very much like the other post's pictures.

leslie Platinum 2 Reviews

I live in Ireland and I have to agree. Breakfast is 29 euro and I have not stayed anywhere more expensive. The lounge is shut at the weekends and you pay in the lounge .There are very few advantages for Platinum members here.The gym is a couple of bedrooms because they ran out of finance .However this is the best location for Dublin It didnt start that way but they appear to be cutting in all areas since it opened.They do a very good two course dinner between 6pm-7pm at around 22euro

kellyz Platinum

I just recently got back from a trip to Ireland. I stayed at the shelbourne for three nights two rooms a night. I had a very similar experience like you did. What bothered me the most was that free internet was not offered in the hotel rooms. The only place was in the heritage lounge. They also put our rooms VERY VERY far from the lounge. Me and my family were constantly going back and fourth to the lounge to get internet. It just make more sense to put our rooms closer to the lounge especially since we don’t have access to our cell phones and internet is our only way of communication. The view from our rooms was of a alley way, which i also wasnt very happy about. Now our experience at the Ritz Carlton Powers court was a completely different experience. They upgraded our reservation to a one bedroom suite overlooking the sugarloaf mountains. I didn’t even ask for it and there was free internet in the rooms. If you ever get back to Ireland you must stay at that hotel, it is gorgeous!!!!

december31 Gold

We also had a terrible experience at this hotel.  Our view was into the linen closet across the courtyard.  When we complained we were told there were no other rooms available and this is what you get when you use points for your stay.  We would never, ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...