11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 8:22 PM by bpelican RSS

Michigan Rennissance

cernertraveler Gold 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just wanted to post about the great experience we had over the weekend at the Rennissance in Bay Harbor Michigan over the weekend.  The hotel is great!!!  I have stayed at Marriott's all over the world and the Rennissance / Inn at Bay Harbor is one of the best.  Great staff, great service, fabulous rooms and suits, and they take care of the little things that allot of hotels miss.  We loved the free high quality bike rentals to peddle around the area, and my daughter loved the camp fire and smores that the hotel makes on Lake Michigan.  Beautiful hotel, great pool, hamocks under the trees on the lake michigan shore.  It really is one of the best MArriott's I have been too and its in a location I would have never expected.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
MI, USA
  • Re: Michigan Rennissance
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Cernertraveler

Great pics!  Looks (and sounds) like a wonderful place.  I will definately need to consider this property if my travels ever allow a trip to Michigan.  Thanks for the post!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Your pictures are great and it is very special to see and hear of this place.

Bay Harbor is on my places to visit!

Thanks!

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

I couldn't agree more.  I have even stayed there in the Wintertime, and it's beautiful and peaceful to walk along the lake even in that off-season.  The Inn has a great spa as well.  However, my favorite spot on the property is the bar at sunset.  I wish there were more places like it. 

• Re: Michigan Renaissance
    tjcnewyork Platinum

" the Renaissance / Inn at Bay Harbor is one of the best.  Great staff, great service, fabulous rooms and suites, and they take care of the little things that a lot of hotels miss."

Great pics!  Your review and those at TripAdvisor.com suggest that this Renaissance and spa is a hidden gem of luxury and magical romance on northern Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes area.  The more remote, the more exciting an adventure.  Book me now!  Google maps shows it's about 5 hours northwest of Detroit and longer from Chicago.  What's the best way and most scenic route to get there?  I see that there are at least two marinas on the bay. Is this area a stop on a passenger ferry from Chicago or Milwaukee?

• Re: Michigan Renaissance

Im not 100% sure if you can take a ferry from Chicago since we live in Michigan, but if I had to guess I would say probably not.  Northern Michigan is really nice so any way you choose to go will be fine.  We just take the main expressway I75 north until the GPS tells us to turn:)  Its a nice trip.  from there you aren't too far from skiing in the winter, Traverse City or Sleeping Bear Dunes during the Spring through Fall.  Lots of nice places in that area to visit. This place is really peaceful and relaxing. 

• Re: Michigan Rennissance kids ok?
    eventgirl Platinum 6 Reviews

We have plans to bring our chldren with us to the Inn at Bay Harbor. We are now concerned this may not be the place for a 6yr and 1yr old. Should we cancel and try to find another destination? We were looking for a place on the water here in Michigan that we could relax as a family.

• Re: Michigan Rennissance kids ok?

Im have really missed the boat on this reply b/c Im sure your trip has long passed, but I would say this place is as suited as well or better then any other you will find for your kids.  They have real fires by the lake each night where thye provide t the stuff to make smores, free bike rentals, board games, and the rooms are really spacious.  They have upgraded us to suits several times and they are really big which makes a differences when you have a little one.  I know I have a two year old and he can be a handful.  During the spring/summer the weather is nice usualy pool and hot tub area are relaxing.  My daughter liked looking for shells along the beach as well.  Its a nice place. 

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

We stayed there last October and had a wonderful time!  Since I had booked 2 rooms, they asked if we would like to be upgraded to a suite, instead...and of course we did!!!  Well, what a suite...3 bedrooms, complete kitchen, living and dining room...2 balconies...WOW!

The staff at this property went out of there way to make sure all our needs were met and the restaurant was excellent, too.  There were so many nice extras such as evening nightcap and sweets waiting for us in the suite at night.

My daughter used the spa and said it was beyond perfect.  I would most definitely recommend this hotel for families or anyone wanting a nice escape.  The area is beautiful!  We took a lovely drive through the "tunnel of trees"...very nice.

I was hoping to book it again for this fall, but unfortunately it's already sold out for my dates.

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

We have spent several weeks at the Inn at Bay Harbor.  If you think it is a great hotel now, you should have been there back in 2005.  At that time, they would bring cordial glasses and a bottle of liquer with the turndown.  They also stocked your fridge with free cokes and would replace as needed.  They had several other amenities that we enjoyed.  It was the most incredible Marriott I had ever encountered. They gradually started taking away the perks that made it special, so we did not even go in 2010.  We did spend a week at the cottages in April of this year. They set the bar so high when we first went that now it is just a disappointment.  I expect more of them than other Marriotts.  In rereading previous posts, it seems the "night caps" have returned.  I did speak with the general manager in 2009 regarding the issue and he said he would start again for gold and platinum guests, but not sure since I did not go back after 2009, except for the stay at the cottage previously mentioned.

-- Edited by Nadine at Sep 16, 2011 2:03 PM PDT

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

cernertraveler,

Thanks!

This is great to know.  Am looking for a place to go this Summer, and this is a place I have not been to!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

You are right on target about this property.  We spend some time here every year and have never been disappointed.  Very professional and courteous employees.  Top notch restaurant. Great location on Lake Michigan.  Nice little town to explore within walking distance.  Golfing nearby, great pool and rec area.  Highly recommend.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...