13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 6:42 PM by jerrycoin RSS

The Band of Brothers

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I pause to reflect this Memorial Day weekend about the sacrifices that so many have made for this country.  I was privileged to serve with some who gave all.

I just finished reading the biography of Major Richard Winters, a fellow Pennsylvanian, who was the central focus of the Stephen Ambrose Book and HBO series, "Band of Brothers."  His story is compelling and he deserves, in my opinion, to be awarded the Medal of Honor.

Major Winters is one of the millions of men and women who have answered the call to duty, and in so doing proved that ordinary people are capable of extraordinary heroism and action.

Many of us will see this weekend as a three day respite from daily work, but I want to remember, and thank those who came before and who are now serving.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: The Band of Brothers
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Bravo, SteppingStones,

I think it is so important -- perhaps even more so in these days of voluntary military service -- to thank those who have served our country.  As someone who came of age during Vietnam, I was horrified by how veterans were treated upon their return home. It doesn't matter whether one agrees with a war; it does matter to honor the men and women who have chosen to give their all for our country.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Even though this is an old post, I wanted to add my agreement to that.  If someone is in the armed forces for the country, they have no choice but to fight and don't have the option of choosing whether or not it's popular when they are fighting for their lives anyway.

I just got an e-mail today and I didn't want to wait until May to post it since I won't remember at that time.  I could not stop crying on this one.  Such pretty pictures, too.  And it mentions my hometown, for which I get so homesick I watch "Walker, Texas Ranger" so I can see the court house.    Proud of those Texas Rangers, too.  (The policing ones like the Lone Ranger especially.)

Angel Flight (Radio Tower Remix) - w/ Lyrics - YouTube

klaus29 Silver

prof chiara

betweenn  athenes,istanbul and dublin where the wind

bring you?  in not long time you will be in monaco.

i hope all is how you like for you.

KLAUS

Hi Klaus,

I am currently in Ireland doing research on medieval manuscripts (and sightseeing of course).  It will be another month before I am in Cap d'Ail.

I do get around!
    ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Stepping Stones, thank you for that post.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Well put!

Recently I was in Paris for Memorial Day and it was a very special day.  The La Defense Ren.  sits next to a a graveyard with US Veterans, and it was quite an event to see.

Lest we never forget!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

ProfChiarra:

Thanks for your kind words for Vets I served in Vietnam and it took a while for folks to seperate the soldier from the purpose of the war--Bill

I still believe my purpose was right.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

You edited since the message I saw.  I believe it was, too.

I still detest Hanoi Jane and think as little as ever of her with her "apology for being duped into a picture with a gun".  Like that's all she thinks she did wrong in the first place.

I was editing to add something else, but ended up punching the wrong button and deleted nearly the whole message.  And I completely agree with you.

Oh, and Go Braves!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It was and it still is, Husker!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU,

Thank-you for your service!

I totally agree with you!

Dear Theolejudge,

It's we who owe all of you who have served.  I think it would be a very good idea if the US had some kind of national service requirement as they have in France and many other European countries.  It seems to me not only unfair that a few (and of course their families) bear all the burdens while the rest of us (for the most part)  only see images on television. I am a news junkie, so I consider myself well informed about world affairs. But everything struck closer to home a few weeks ago when a young man from the town where I teach was killed in Afghanistan.

Memorial Day may be past, but we should never forget what so many men and women have given for us. Thank you!

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...