8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2010 11:05 PM by dejamo RSS

Changing points for miles

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Has anyone out there successfully switched (briefly -- 2-3 months) from points to miles and back?  Delta has a very good Marriott promotion going which would earn me lots of miles thanks to Marriott stays over the next couple of months, but I want to make sure I can easily return to my points earning and status level if I change.

Thanks in advance,
ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Changing points for miles

Thanks, Pingreeman! I had done it before when I stayed mostly at Hiltons, but wanted to make sure I didn't do something irreversible.  I may or may not decide to change briefly, but the deal is a good one, especially if some extra miles can get me more business class tickets to Europe.
    I'm also curious because I received my most recent issue of Inside Flyer.  I am always amazed that Delta (I'm a platinum elite, but definitely not an employee, so I have do agenda) gets knocked for unavailability of free flights.  In all my years of traveling (and nearly a million miles), I have not once had a problem getting a free flight.  Is it just because I'm flexible with dates and even cities, or have others out there had similar or different experiences?

I'm on my way to Dublin -- will post pictures if the site allows when I return.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'm on my way to Dublin -- will post pictures if the site allows when I return."

Have a safe, enjoyable and carefree trip!

dejamo Platinum

I wanted to grab my quick 60K for Delta and get back to points as fast as possible during the promotion.  Lacking a few stays so far, but will get all 60 K by Friday.

This week however, I found myself staying in the same Courtyard in downtown Memphis for 4 nites, so I was curious.  Could I get 5000 Delta Skymiles for Monday only, and switch my profile to go back to earning points for the remainder of my stay (Tues-Fri).  Seems logical enough to me, so I contacted MR and inquired.

MR stated that the switch from miles to points etc... was immediate and would show on the profile.  (True - it did).  They also told me that since I waited until Tuesday to switch my earnings preference, my remaining 3 nites would earn points instead of the Delta Skymiles...... (remains to be seen).

Today, the system finally posted last weeks stay and all 4 nites accumulated points instead of the 1 nite for miles and the other 3 for points.

I sent an email to MR and expect a reply soon.

Will keep you posted.

Hi Dejamo,

Thanks for the very helpful reply!  It's nice to know it's so easy (and fast) to do.  The 60,000 possible points was what drove me to ask the question.

ProfChiara

dejamo Platinum

The easy part is changing the profile earnings preference.  It seems the only hard part is waiting for a reply to make sure they post the points/miles as I requested (and they confirmed prior to me actually doing it). As soon as I receive a reply from MR, I will share with all.

dejamo Platinum

Well............. my first email apparently confused the poor CSRep that had the pleasure to respond to me.  They subtracted all the points that were applied to my account for the 4 nite stay, and credited my account with 5000 Delta Skymiles. Their reply stated " We have recredited your account with all earnings associated with your stay".

It's almost as if they did not look at the finer issues of my original email to them, or were confused.  (I do not know how much more plainly I could have stated my request in my original email to them). 

I will chalk this original lack of an appropriate response to a new  employee getting their foot into the door, and spilling their coffee while responding to me via email.  I responded to their email this time with a little more emphasis on getting my account corrected appropriately.

Let's see what the next response reveals.  Hopefully a more suitable resolution.

boroboy Gold 1 Reviews

Never had a problem or delay when I switched back forth between Delta and Marriott.

Good luck.

dejamo Platinum

Got it straightened out finally.  Slow response by MR,  but nevertheless I got what I wanted.

Shame on what you have to go through to get what you were told though.

Dej

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...