10 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2010 9:08 PM by nuhusker RSS

Take a letter, Maria

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is one of the catchy songs in rotation on Sirius/XM Sixties on Six, written and recorded in 1969 by R.B. Greaves.  It has special meaning for me in that I listened to it on my AM radio at the US Army's Infantry School in Georgia during that period.

It would be nearly impossible for Maria to accomplish that task were she staying in a Marriott.

There is a total lack of writing paper in most Marriott hotels. Gone is the stationery, now replaced by a used (not so gently) tablet of paper that is often less than three sheets (and not to the wind) and a hard cardboard backing.

At a recent stay at a Renaissance someone had thoughtfully completely filled the little pad with cryptic notes--the government is on the decryption case for that one.

I realize that putting pen to paper is considered passe but some seniors like me occasionally feel the need to write things down rather than text them, or add them to our facebook account, or tweet away on some momentous thought we've had.

Ironically, the BIC-type stick pens are still there, though only one per room in my recent experience.  But the pads are getting thinner and thinner, and stationery is long gone.  I realize that paper is a renewable resource but it might just be a nice to have at least a token amount in the rooms.

I long for the time when I could be creative, and have paper on which to exercise that option, but not any more.

• Re: Take a letter, Maria
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Lyrics aside, the topic is on-point.  Road warriors develop various ways to manage, jotting notes is one that works for me.  Bringing a notepad or better yet a notebook-sized portfolio with a calendar and pockets for business cards and notepaper is an absolute necessity.  Depending upon the brand, providing a notepad @ bedside or stationery in the desk drawer portfolio is on the housekeeping list.  While there may be merits to the 'green' theory, slippage is more likely due to lack of attention to details by housekeeping. A call usually works.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Good suggestion TJ, and I hope that there is a supply somewhere that I can access on the road when I need it.  I do carry a pad or two in the car but that's normally not parked near the room, so I'd rather have it there.  Why not on-demand pads?  It might save paper and waste if it were there only when requested or in the profile?

Just a thought.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Since the notepads are usually printed with the property's information in the letterhead, they are a form of marketing and promotion.  While pads-on-demand is an idea, I think their absence was due to housekeeping's oversight.

On one occasion, I was checked into a room at a full service Marriott and all the toiletries and towels were gone!  When I called the FD, they sent a housekeeping supervisor who was responsible for signing off on the room.

Turns out another guest checked into that room but found it too small for her party and wanted two rooms with a connecting door.  She took the towels and toiletries with her!  I imagine it happens to pens and pads, too.

Let us hope that's true, TJ. I find that most housekeepers have to search for paper goods on their carts, and often need to send for them. None of the hotels in which I have stayed recently have property specific information on them, just brand specific.  Renaissance has a small pad with fold over cover that is quite nice and when I asked for a new one (two weeks ago) it never arrived. Every other request was met quickly.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

TJC  - that might be the case, but I too am experiencing either a shortage of paper on the pad, or the total absence of the pad more often than not.  Also, have you noticed the bic-like pen has about 1/8 inch worth of ink in it?  That feature seems to be accurate 100% of the time.  Interestingly, while the abover items are lacking, I have noticed an upgrade in the magazines in the rooms.  go figure. 

Magazines?  I have only seen a few though most are current and some are pretty beat up.  For a while there was a Marriott magazine but now it's gone.

Speaking of things not inn the rooms, the last five stays at Full Service properties I have not gotten my newspaper choice, even though it's in the profile.  WSJ is my first option and about half the time it's available in the Concierge Lounge but never at my doorstep.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Stepping Stones -- I could live with the nearly empty pen and somewhat used pad, but if a hotel wants to mash my hot button, just fail to deliver my newspaper as promised.  When I check in, I mention my request if the desk clerk doesn't do so first.  Then when I call the front desk for a wake up call, I mention my newspaper preference again.  I haven't had a problem with this for quite a while now, and I often send a thank-you note to the hotel GM about it.  As for songs, I enjoy the "The Letter" by the Box Tops from the late 60's.  Memories -- what memories!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHUSKER  -  I was an Elvis fan, Motown, and of all people, Petula Clark.  Remember DOWNTOWN...... ?   Then one day the light switch went on and Jimmie Hendrix, Janis joplin, etc became my life. 

I was having trouble with delivery of my WSJ for a while, but that seems to have passed.  I think Marriott may have cut back in that regard for a while.  Speaking of cutting back, has anyone requested toiletries lately?  You get single serving toothpaste for God's sake....

I must admit an addiction to the Cousin Brucie show on Sirius/XM every Wednesday. I used to listen to him via AM skip in college (he was on WABC in NYC when there were less stations crowding the dial.

Though I saw Buddy Holly in 1958 I was too young to appreciate him, saw the Rolling Stones in the mid 60s, and then saw the slightly bloated Elvis in 1974, and did appreciate him. In the 1980s, I met Mickey Newbury who arranged "American Trilogy" one of my all-time Elvis faves (Aloha from Hawaii featured it)

As a former college Dee Jay I always loved music, and these songs all have a connection for me.

Now I need to work on getting that newspaper delivered!  Thanks for the tips.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

AM skip

I had forgotten about that.  Look at what today's generation is missing out on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...