11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2014 9:30 AM by erc RSS

Philly Marriott Downtown

belder Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Beware of staying at the downtown Marriott in Philly.  Their public restrooms are filthy and stink, their concierge room serves scrambled eggs but discontinued bacon or sausage, and guests are not able to call down in advance for their car.  Call valet parking and you get a message that you need to bring your ticket down and line up.  For a $36 per night parking fee, I expect a little more.  I will never stay at this propery again.

benelder

• Re: Philly Marriott Downtown
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"Their public restrooms are filthy and stink, their concierge room serves scrambled eggs but discontinued bacon or sausage, and guests are not able to call down in advance for their car.  Call valet parking and you get a message that you need to bring your ticket down and line up.  For a $36 per night parking fee, I expect a little more. "

When were you there?  As posted at Marriott.com, valet parking is now $43/night.  Maybe it was reduced due to the inconvenience of having to bring your ticket and wait?  Regards concierge food offerings and the public facilities, it sounds like cost-cutting in food service as well as maintenance.  As a suggestion, consider e-mailing Customer.Care@Marriott.com and describe the conditions you experienced and how the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott met or failed to meet your expectations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Belder  -  thanks for the review of the DT Philly Marriott.  I will remove this proerty from my potential 'stay' list. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Just stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown -12th and Market - for the first time, last night - and probably the last.  The lobby, lobby bar and restaurant are nice and relatively newly refreshed. 

I had read about how outdated and tired the rooms were, but having seen the lobby so many times, while in Philly, I didn't expect them to be like they were.  They upgraded us to the 'luxury suite' on the top floor - 23rd.  Though the amount of space was awesome, the room looked like it hasn't been updated in over 30 years.  I had been told the bed was a murphy king, but it was a queen.  The shower screeched the whole time you were in it. 

I had also read about lack of security but never thought about it until I stayed there.  Anyone can walk right off the street, not pass the registration desk or anything, and take an elevator right up to all the guest rooms - no questions asked.

The room right across from us on the 'concierge' floor, had obviously brought in a boom box and was playing music so loud, it was making things in our room rattle.  And people were coming in and out of that room constantly.  After about an hour of it, I called the front desk and asked if there was an organized event on my floor or just someone having a party, because we couldn't sleep.  They said they would send up security.  Security came up and just walked down the hall, right past the room, and never said a word to them.  After another hour or so and packing towels and pillows along the bottom of the door and up the sides, to block the noise, I finally got to sleep. 

If I were to stay at a Marriott property in Phila again, it would probably be a block away at the Courtyard but never again at their flagship Downtown Marriott.

Very disappointing.

jcampbell Platinum 35 Reviews

I just stayed there for two nights and the property was completely sold out.  I had an overall good experience.  Lounge on 23rd was always busy but they were trying to keep up with food including bacon!  Gym was very clean and all of the machines worked.  The rooms do seem old but mine was clean and I heard zero noise.  Cannot beat the location for downtown.  Absolutely will stay there again.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I stayed there about 2 yrs ago.  The rooms were warn but clean, quiet and gave breakfast coupons for weekend.  CL was crowded but good.  I took the train there and back to the airport and liked that.  I rented a car and returned it at the end of day so never had to wait for valet.  If it is like when I was there, I would recommend it.

ltickner Platinum 16 Reviews

I stayed here in Feb for a week.  Overall i had a gooD experience.  No major issues to report.  I thought the conciegere lounge was nice and well stocked for beakfast and for evening snacks.  I did notnspend alot of time in the hotel though, but the room was fine and i didn't have any issues.

bmwcaber Platinum 2 Reviews

Beware of leveraging them for Parking - they damaged my car when I stay and took ZERO responsibility.   Very disappointing, worse Marriott experience ever.  

peteruliano Silver 11 Reviews

Thanks for the heads up!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Always prefer the Airport Marriott, the service I've gotten there on numerous stays has been second to none.  Great bartenders in the lounge, Nathan is incredible in the CL and front desk always happy to let me have my favorite room.

tjb42 Gold 2 Reviews

Stay away from the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.  They're one of the select properties who don't truly value their elite members.  Stayed on the weekend and since the lounge is closed they weren't going to offer me breakfast in the restaurant.  Apparently, they're one of about 10 properties who won't take care of their elites.  After speaking with the manager who wasn't rude but wasn't welcoming either, he agreed to offer a $30 credit to cover breakfast, however given the astronomical prices in the restaurant, for myself and my travel partner I still had to kick in some extra money to cover the cost of breakfast.  Additionally, the couple of times I had to go the front desk for issues (such as a key being improperly coded/not working), I was asked for my room number.  I used to work in a deluxe resort in Orlando, and day-one of training is never ask for, or even state, the room number as it presents a security concern.  While I personally am not bothered by this, this just shows a poor quality of training of the staff and is certainly not up to 4 star quality.  The location and condition of the hotel is fantastic, but I'd say a review of hotel policies and a change of management is in order.

erc Platinum

Thanks for sharing tjb42. Unfortunately Philly Downtown (which I agree is a great location) is one of those 'kiss of death' properties that like Marie Antoinette takes a 'let them eat points' approach;

A limited number of hotels do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the lounge is closed, but do offer 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast. These hotels include:  

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Washington, DC

New Orleans Marriott

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge

New York Marriott East Side

JW Marriott New Orleans

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance New York Hotel 57

Renaissance New York Times Square

San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

I have altered my weekend lodging plans several times (New Orleans being most recent) due to this exception. Breakfasts often running $25-30 per person (with tax and gratuity included) are far more valuable than 1,000 points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...