10 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 11:34 AM by clynch95 RSS

Time for Titanium Elite

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was one of those who found the idea of a "Plutonium Level" in Marriott Rewards to be relatively unappealing, but now have changed my mind.

How about a Titanium Level?

Plutonium, as all amateur physicists know, does not exist in nature and has only destructive uses in weaponry, but Titanium does exist and is perhaps the most precious of all metals, not in price, but in value as a workhorse element   Highly resistant to corrosion and very strong for its weight, Titanium is a wonder metal, and freely distributed throughout the Earth's crust.

Titanium Elite credentials might include the metal in the membership card.  The card could symbolize strength and loyalty at the same time.

As for the new level, it might be reserved for those whose loyalty is the highest, perhaps those who have earned five million or more lifetime points, have over 25 years continuous membership in Marriott Rewards, and at least ten years as a Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier member.

Possession of the Titanium Elite card would open doors at Marriott, literally and figuratively, to a very select group of people who have spent a career being very loyal to Marriott.

• Suite upgrades with guarantees within 48 hours
  • Complimentary meals, not just breakfast at all properties, including resorts
  • Use of a car service in larger properties
  • Titanium Elite gifts, chosen by the card holder on an interval basis throughout the year, based on number of stays.
  • Pickup and drop-off at Fixed Base Operators within 50 miles of a hotel (n.b.:  National Rental Car offers this for its top tier Emerald Elite members)

Anyone think this is a good idea?  Or not?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Time for Titanium Elite
    klaus29 Silver

stepping stones

the idee  is good. will be happy for the smal 10prozent

what can get the titanium card with the advantage you

mentioned.

i hope marriott  have money later to give to smal

but loyale member   A CARD IN CARTON

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

while the idea is appealing to someone who would qualify, its value to the Marriott corporation is questionable.  IMO, the value of any loyalty program to the sponsoring company is the continued high velosity of paid nights year after year of its members.  My guess is that while they are thankful for someones past performance (nights stayed), they would have no interest in filling their suites with upgrades to members whose nights per year are on the decline. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear Shoeman:

Good points, and there is always a downside to an idea from Corporate's point of view.

I'd hazard a guess that suites are seldom going for full rate--the number of times I've stayed on upgrades is fairly large, the times I was a meeting host I got one comped, etc.  Some locations may hold out for filling suites at rack rate, but as I have said before, it is better to have someone in a room at a reduced rate than to have the room be empty.  One consideration is the extra time that housekeeping needs to spend in a suite as opposed to a guest room, which is a cost in time and money for the hotel.

I appreciate your point of view and thanks.

I totally agree with the concept of Titanium status!  Why wouldn't I?  People LIke myself have eveerything to gain and nothing to lose.  Nonetheless, the businessman in me says "show mw the profits".  If a new initiative cannot pay for itself, it will be a tough sale to management.  Unused suites is one thing, guaranteeing upgrades in advance is another.  Anyway, my goal is not to be argumentitive, I am only being realistic. 

stevew Platinum

For Titanium to work from a corporate standpoint, it would have to reward loyality beyond the Platinum level. I currently travel enough to max out the reward level at 2 different hotel chains. The hotels best motivation is keeping all of our nights at Marriott. The goal has to be attainable and the rewards need to be beneficial to the member with limited direct expense to the hotel. Ideas could be: guaranteed room on Concierge level, free parking, room upgrades (always, not just if the feel like it at check-in), weekend perks to make up for the lounge being closed.

SteveW -  good post!  I don't think I have seen a post of your in the past, so welcome to the community!  I believe you hit on a very important point.  It seems to me that Marriott would only gain with this if the person receiving the new designation signifigantly increades their nights stayed.  To reward someone for "lifetime achievement" is admirable but does not increase revenue.  The mythical TITANIUM status should likey be awarded to the current super road warriors as opposed to those of us who have been there and doner that.  Just my opinion.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Brands/MVCI/Logos/MVCI_logowhitefield_120x60.gif http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Brands/RITZ/Logos/RC_logo2tran_120x60.gif

With a rebound around the corner, accelerated growth in Asia and doubling in Europe, it is time that Marriott International and Marriott Rewards think more expansively.

A new Titanium level that recognizes business loyalty to Marriott plus Marriott Vacation Club ownership would break new ground in the hospitality marketplace.

From a corporate standpoint, it would present a natural way to increase requirements that jumpstarts timeshare vacation sales and/or vacation membership clubs in the well-established business segments, redefine expectations for luxury vacation experiences and potentially expand the Marriott Rewards scenarios across the entire brand portfolio.

TJC  -  Makes a lot of sense!  Those of us that are not Timeshare/Vacation Club members lose sight of the ramifications of that piece.  Also, I loved the Banner that included Ritz Carlton.  I hope the day is near that Marriott International  truly opens up Ritz participation in the Marriott Rewards Program.  Maybe even have an accelerated point earning schedule for stays there. 

mobiledog Silver 4 Reviews

25 years to reach Titanium. ?

I disagree. This will restrict the membership to old folks only.

I can agree if its a million points or been a member for 25 years .

Either will qualify you for Titanium.

clynch95 Platinum 4 Reviews

I love the idea!  I have stayed 105 nights this year so far in various Marriotts. (More nights in a Marriott than my own home).  It would be really nice to have Suite upgrades, if available of course and the complementary meals would be nice too.  I usually have to travel before breakfast is available.  Thank you for the idea and I hope someone at Marriott is listening!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...