13 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2010 9:25 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution

wanderingmoose Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Here are a few articles for the pro second amendment Marriott Rewards members.

I am a Platinum Elite Lifetime Marriott Rewards member. Who has given almost all my lodging business to Marriott over the years due to there "Starbucks Like" (http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=332) corporate policies regarding their lawful possesion of firearm by guests. Which is, they follow the laws of the jursidiction that the hotel property is located in.

Here are the links to a few articles regarding an incident that happened this past weekend at the Marriott Charlotte City Center during the National Rifle Assoication's Annual Meeting.

Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution

http://www.examiner.com/x-2698-Charlotte-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d18-Marriott-exposes-NRA-conventioneers-to-criminal-prosecution

Gun rights Marriott boycott spreads nationwide

http://www.examiner.com/x-2698-Charlotte-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d20-Gun-rights-Marriott-boycott-spreads-nationwide

Rights and Wrongs at the 139th NRA Annual Meeting 

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/21/rights-and-wrongs-at-the-139th-nra-annual-meeting/

Safer Streets 2010: Ambush of guests by a hotel?

http://www.examiner.com/x-2323-LA-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d20-Safer-Streets-2010-Ambush-of-guests-by-a-hotel?cid=examiner-email

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://ethisphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/logo-wme2010-100.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/carousel_insiders.gif

"I am a Platinum Elite Lifetime Marriott Rewards member. Who has given almost all my lodging business to Marriott over the years due to there "Starbucks Like" corporate policies"

Thank you for an informative post on a highly complex topic.  Maintaining integrity and the highest ethical standards is what I expect of Marriott. Recent headlines *, ** illustrate ongoing erosion.  As a loyal Rewards member going on 27 years, it's extremely disappointing. Let's hope for a turnaround.

* Marriott Dropped | 2010 Most Ethical Companies

** Very Bad Show, Marriott

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ncrunner Platinum

I was very disappointed when I read this.  I expect much better from Marriott.

todd2968 Member

This boycott is spreading rapidly and is all over the 2nd ammendment sites, it won't be long before reservations are cancelled, and people take their business else where. 

The only smart stance is to take the same position of Starbucks and simply abide by local laws.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC - you hit the bulls eye with your link of ethics to this story.  The Charlotte Marriott GM's lack of integrity exceeds disappointing -- I think it's disgusting.

My rights under the 2nd amendment are absolute.  There are plenty of gun-rights friendly businesses that want our business, and we should reward those with it.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"This boycott is spreading rapidly and is all over the 2nd ammendment sites, it won't be long before reservations are cancelled, and people take their business else where."

Although post-convention communications involved corporate from the get-go,  the reaction on the sites mentioned suggests that corporate may have poured salt into a wound.  What happened in Charlotte flies in the face of Marriott's "Spirit to Serve" philosophy.  In fact, it has the tinge of being self-serving.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"you hit the bulls eye with your link of ethics to this story"

Integrity cascades from the top.  Confidence in the ethics of a company generates trust which forms a solid foundation for business relationships to thrive.  The NRA boycott strongly suggests a huge gap in that foundation.

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

Frankly I'd actively support a hotel or chain that bans guns rather than boycott it.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Frankly I'd actively support a hotel or chain that bans guns rather than boycott it."

Marriott did issue a corporate edict in 2006 to ban smoking.  BUT, violating the tobacco smoke ban does not expose a guest to criminal arrest, does it?

Do you expect hotels to operate in a vacuum isolated from the communities they serve?  That's the whole point, here.  The Charlotte Marriott City Center signed a contract to host the NRA convention.  It would helpful to know what the NRA and the Charlotte Marriott agreed to and the statutes in force.

With very strict gun control laws, New York City is a good example. It would be highly controversial for the NRA to attempt to hold a convention in Manhattan.  Likewise, it would very disturbing if the Marriott Marquis, the Hilton, the Sheraton, Hyatt or any reputable hotel in NYC to openly sign a contract to host the NRA w/o escalating to NYPD, the Office of the Mayor and numerous other agencies.

Was this required in Charlotte or is the city and state as 2nd Amendment friendly as the NRA expected?  Was the Charlotte Marriott City Center so eager for the business that they neglected to check until guests started checking in with openly exposed firearms?  The Marriott admits to removing signage due to a renovation.  If they forgot to replace signage required by law, what else did they overlook?

wanderingmoose Platinum

Marriott did issue a corporate edict in 2006 to ban smoking.  BUT, violating the tobacco smoke ban does not expose a guest to criminal arrest, does it?

The main point here is for Marriott, once and for all, to come out with a back and white public statement regarding the legal carrying of firearms on their branded properties.  Either say YES or NO, it is allowed where the individual is legally carrying a firearm.

Do you expect hotels to operate in a vacuum isolated from the communities they serve?  That's the whole point, here.  The Charlotte Marriott City Center signed a contract to host the NRA convention.  It would helpful to know what the NRA and the Charlotte Marriott agreed to and the statutes in force.

The NRA Annual Meeting was held at the Charlotte Convention Center and the Time Warner Cable Arena and NRA staff stayed at the Westin next to the convention center.

The Marriott Charlotte City Center was on the NRA's lodging list for vendors exhibiting at the convention center.  I saw the employees of Glock, Barretta, Crimson Trace, Federal Premium Ammunition and the Second Amendment Foundation at the hotel and I am sure there were others.

A group called Grass Roots Noth Carolina (http://www.grnc.org) had a banquet at the hotel and are the ones who originally raised this concern.

I was a guest at the hotel just attending the NRA annual meeting as well as USA Swimmings Charotte Ultraswim meet. 

I had reconfirmed with Chad Callaghan, Marriott's EVP for Enterprise Loss Prevention, their policy regarding the ability for a person who is legally licensed to carry a concealed firearm in NC to carry in the hotel.  He stated to that it is their policy to follow the law of the place where the hotel is located. I spoke with him the  the day before I checked-in at the Marriott Charlotte City Center.

With very strict gun control laws, New York City is a good example. It would be highly controversial for the NRA to attempt to hold a convention in Manhattan.  Likewise, it would very disturbing if the Marriott Marquis, the Hilton, the Sheraton, Hyatt or any reputable hotel in NYC to openly sign a contract to host the NRA w/o escalating to NYPD, the Office of the Mayor and numerous other agencies.

To repeat the NRA did not hold there event at this hotel GRNC did.  This hotel was sold out, since I needed to get a Platinum override to make my reservation.  It would be fair to say the majority of the hotel guests were there for the NRA Annual Meeting.

First off why would a hotel need to get permission to host an event from a police department or the mayor's office? 

Secondly there is not a convention center big enough to host the NRA'a annual meeting in NYC.  Due to the size of the trade show portion of he event, there are very few sities that can host this event. 

In fact in Charlotte the NRA annual banquet was not held since there is not a facility in the metro Charlotte area big nough to host it.  Instead there was an event at the Time Warner Cabe Arena, which consisted of speaches by Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox of the NRA, Newt Gingrich and Glenn Beck.  Then a concert by NRA Life Member Charlie Daniels.

Was this required in Charlotte or is the city and state as 2nd Amendment friendly as the NRA expected?  Was the Charlotte Marriott City Center so eager for the business that they neglected to check until guests started checking in with openly exposed firearms?  The Marriott admits to removing signage due to a renovation.  If they forgot to replace signage required by law, what else did they overlook?

The NRA goes to non-second ammendment friendly cities, like Charlotte, since they want to move the meeting around so that members in other parts of he country can participate.  Last year it was in Phoenix, this year Charlotte and next year Pittsburgh.

Marriott prides itself on consistancy in its brand.  Consistancy in the quality of the hotels.  Consistancy in the quality the food.  Consistancy in the level of service of the staff.

Consistancy in one of the hallmarks of the Marriott brand.

All I, and other gun owners want, is a consisant public policy regarding the ability of customers who are legally allowed to carry a firearm in the public spaces where a Marriott is located, to be able to carry in the public spaces and guest rooms of Marriott branded properties, unless those places are specifically excluded by law. 

In speaking with the Attorney General's office in NC, I can legally carry my concealed firearm into any hotel in NC as long as I do not carry it into a bar or restaurant within that hotel where alcolol is "sold and consumed".  I can not carry in a hotel that is posted no firearms.  What happened here is the property was posted "no firearms" after the bulk of the hotel guests and event attendees were already in the hotel, many with their firearms.

Considering that there were guests at this hotel, and 75,000+ NRA members in Charlotte at the time, there was not siginifigant crime event in the entire downtown Charlotte area during the NRA Annual Meeting. See articles below.

From the “Charlotte Observer”

Click the link above and see how many gun crimes have happened in the past few hours in Charlotte, would you want to go unarmed in Charlotte?

It also was very safe. Captain Jeff Estes, commander of CMPD's Central Division, said crime for the week was 45 percent lower than the same week a year ago. Overall this year, crime in the Central Division, which includes center city, is down 19 percent from the first 41/2 months of 2009, police say.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/19/1444226/events-last-week-attracted-85000.html#ixzz0oc1xQ4Ol

In Charlotte, More NRA Members Equaled Less Crime

With that many visitors in town, you might be thinking that there must have been some serious problems -- maybe some opportunistic criminals preying on preoccupied tourists making their way around an unfamiliar city.  Well, crime was actually lower during NRA's convention -- much lower. 

According to the CharlotteObserver.com article, Captain Jeff Estes, commander of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department's Central Division, said crime for the week was 45 percentlower than the same week a year ago.

For those who know that NRA members are among the most law-abiding of citizens, and that more guns often equates to less crime, then that figure should come as no surprise at all.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5839

Most important the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department Real-time Significant Event Log ( http://maps.cmpdweb.org/significanteventlog/Default.aspx) showed no significant crime events in the downtown area during the NRA Annual Meeting.

todd2968 Member

Redwood, I respect your opinion, but if the NRA knew that from the start they would have not held their convention there.

It is a law that any business wants to ban the lawful carrying of weapons can do so, but display the policy on the front door as required by law.  Also I believe any company that does that should provide armed guards for added protection.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/carousel_insiders.gif

"The main point here is for Marriott, once and for all, to come out with a black and white public statement regarding the legal carrying of firearms on their branded properties.  Either say YES or NO, it is allowed where the individual is legally carrying a firearm."

This is not only controversial, but very confusing.

How does the boycott achieve the desired outcome and for what purpose?  Is a boycott the best hammer? * Given the public record, the law-abiding response by the tens of thousands of convention attendees compelled in part by Marriott's signage may have contributed to achieve an overall 45% reduction in crime.

Striking a parallel, the domestic airlines were the first to declare the skies smoke-free in 1990.  A groundswell happened. Compelled by medical evidence and the Surgeon General's recommendations, many cities and states followed with smoke-free legislation.  Sixteen years later, Marriott implemented a smoke-free hotel policy in 2006 - which is still optional outside of the U.S. and defers to local statutes. **

The hammer analogy cuts both ways.  Marriott could have handled the post-convention communications differently.

* 5 Better Ways to Hammer a Nail

** See FAQ #3, Marriott's Smoke-free Hotel Policy

kenmc89 Member

Just lost all my business over concealed weapons muck up you had.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Just lost all my business over concealed weapons muck up you had."

Kenmc,

Regrets to hear that. Please elaborate. It appears that Marriott was motivated to ensure the safety of all guests and visitors. How did you attribute Marriott's signage to the business loss? What other contributing factors exist? Keep in mind that you can e-mail Customer.Care@Marriott.com with your concerns.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...