21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2015 10:07 AM by ndn RSS

Slow internet

jetsetter Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I've been a devoted Marriott customer and has been platinum 3 years in a row. I knew about this forum, but never had an idea what to post.

I would like to post on something that they should improve on and I've noticed lately that the internet in some of the hotels I've stayed at has been very slow. This will be my first post and I will post statistics at every hotel room I stay at. I travel to at least 2 Marriott brand hotels per month. This is what I'll be using to test: (website: www.speakeasy.net/speedtest location setting: NYC)

Renaissance Charlotte Southpark

• 12.95/day
  • Wireless
  • 7th floor
  • 129kbps download
  • 7:36 EDT 5/17/10
  • Re: Slow internet
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks, I use www.dslreports.com  myself and have found slower speeds as well.  Both wired and wireless.  Hope you are getting free Internet as of May 7th,.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

AT&T free wireless connection at the Marriott Bakersfield CA:

Downbload:  1475 kb/s

Upload:  881 kb/s

Latency:  30 ms

Server:  Linkline LA CA

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pbrown58 Gold

I have been noticing the same thing, in the evenings. I have conducted busines meetings in the lobby area, during the day, and the internet speed has been fine. However, in the guist room, in the evening, really really slow.

Example; speedtest.com...download speed; 0.17 Mb/s, Upload; 0.15Mb's, ping; 320ms.  Compared to ISP average, exceedingly slow.

Getting to the point where I may have to really consider staying elsewhere.

I also have heard, but this is in no way verified, that the hotels intentionally turn down the speed in the evenings to prevent internet streaming & increase demand for in room movies.

cadillacmike Platinum

I'm not sure they are deliberately slowing the service down, but the speed definitely drops off  severely in the evening. sometimes is is unbearably slow, down below 20KBPS at times. And it's quire regulat here in Orlando, where I've been practically living in the marriot residence inn (and a couple others!) for the past 2+ years.

It's exceedingly alow compared to service at my home. And most hotels I've been at are the same way.

What's more annoying though, is that whenever i reconnect (I pull the wire or shut off the antenna when i'm out) it always puts up the sign on screen. That gets old quick.

akazanar Gold 1 Reviews

I think it is more likely that all the lonely business men are surfing hi-bandwidth sites at the same time using all the bandwidth!

I too have noticed a bit slower connection speed lately.

roadrash Platinum

I'm not sure what the real cause of internet slowness is but I see it as well. Perhaps the problem is old hardware or simply insufficient bandwidth, whatever the cause it is a big problem.

Rarely a week goes buy that I don't have a couple days or more in a Marriot property.  Internet quality varies wildly.

My worst internet experience recently has been at the Courtyard Annapolis - Annapolis, MD. The wired and wireless in room internet was so poor simple email was difficult, establishing a VPN connection nearly impossible. I've stayed there twice in the last few months and had to tether my cell phone to my laptop for 3G internet on both occasions.  

The Fairfield Inn & Suites in Hooksett, NH had the best internet of my recent stays.  I didn't run a speed test but I download a 141mb file in very few minutes.

I think it's a great idea to use Speakeasy for a speed test and post here.

pbrown58 Gold

Great example of what I have been seeing...

At the same Courtyard, the internet speed went from 0.17 Mb/s last night, to 2.01Mb/s. Twenty times faster in the am!  (using speedtest.net)

Why would the same site, with the same modems/routers etc, be 20X faster at 7am vs 7pm?

Beginning to think there may be something to Marriott intentionally slowing down the speed at night to boost in room movie sales.

Just heard a story about their business model on Bloomberg radio, that 20% of their customers generate 80% of their volume, and that they are tuned in to making thegroup happy.

I am not happy about my stay, becoming much more frustrated with this whole situation. Reading about people having to use their blackerry just to download a file when there is supposedly broadband wifi? Not good.

roadrash Platinum

I'm at another Fairfield Inn & Suites. This one in Guelph, ON Canada. Just after 9PM.  Internet is good here.

Speakeasy NY shows:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5933 kbps (741.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 647 kbps (80.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

roadrash Platinum

Another Fairfield Inn.  This one in Dedham, MA.

It's just about 10PM, the hotel appears to be about 1/2 capacity. Speakeasy speed test shows slower but usable internet.

I had issues with Speakeasy NY so I used DC.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1219 kbps (152.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

roadrash Platinum

Tonight I'm at the Courtyard in Red Bank, NJ.

It's just after 9pm and the internet is crawling.  The location doesn't appear anywhere near capacity.

Speakeasy NY results below.  Note the good upload speed.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 284 kbps (35.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2331 kbps (291.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

roadrash Platinum

Now I'm at the Courtyard Philadelphia downtown.  There were three options for internet.

1. Free - good for email or browsing.

2. $8.95 for full speed, good for streaming video or music.

3. Other roaming options.

I selected option 2 and tried it around 6pm with 4K download results. At 9pm I got the following results and was having trouble just browsing the web. Speakeasy NY.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 430 kbps (53.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1455 kbps (181.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

roadrash Platinum

I'm at a Fairfield Inn and Suites in Weatherford, TX now.

It's about 11:30 PM. Internet is screaming here, although I don't think the hotel is near capacity. Also, this location is fairly new as well. Marriott should retrofit older locations with this kind of hardware.

Speakeasy Dallas reports:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 8073 kbps (1009.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2105 kbps (263.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

roadrash Platinum

Marriot Dallas Ft. Worth Airport

8440 Freeport Parkway

Irving, TX

11:00 PM on a Friday night.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3376 kbps (422 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4750 kbps (593.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

drewtipton Gold

I'm at the Marriott Washington DC Metro Center this week...

Speakeasy results for NY:

Download is 0.57 Mb/s

Upload is 0.72 Mb/s

I don't know how near to capacity they actually are, but I had to use the Platinum Override to get in here...

I was at the Marriott Suites Herndon Worldgate earlier this week, and the internet was atrocious--I actually complained when I checked out.  I couldn't even get a connection to stay stable for more than 5 minutes at a time...  It's definitely hit-or-miss... but at least we aren't paying for it anymore!

drewtipton Gold

Wow. Gotta be the worst one yet. Courtyard Little Rock West... Internet to NYC:

Download Speed: 167 kbps (20.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 220 kbps (27.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Horrendous!  Even the Yahoo home page times out!

tjcnewyork Platinum

No more wireless issues at Marriott Vacation Club's Sabal, Royal and Imperial Palms.  These 3 resorts have switched vendor from Wayport to AT&T.  A passcode that the Front Desk gives you is required to login.   Was on vacation, so no wasted time clocking speed; but there were no timeouts and downloads were quick and easy.  AT&T has a better user interface and improved co-branding. Last year I recall that Wayport didn't really care or did not have the capability for context-sensitive promotions.  I sent several screen captures to management and customer care showing that Marriott Vacation Club guests were being exposed to Hilton Grand Vacation Club promos while on property.  Apparently, someone listened.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Sabal-01.jpg

Above: AT&T login screen at Marriott Vacation Club's Sabal, Royal & Imperial Palms in Orlando.

Below:  AT&T | MVCI landing page with local area map and weather conditions.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Sabal-02.jpg

nikolamp Silver

Great Idea!  SpeakEasy is the testing standard.  These posts will definitely help me as I travel and decide which hotel will accommodate my needs the best.

hmuchmore Gold

Doesn't matter what Mariott I stay in they all have horrible internet between 6pm-midnight

Courtyard Williston Vt.

.28Mbps down

.54Mbps up

But the fastest I can download from my corporate VPN is about 19KB, with my peak reading 54KB!

Sad but 64K modems were actually 2K faster than my peak.

whats more nerve racking is the dhcp server keeps adding 0043717.etbtv0.com to search domain which supposedly doesn't exist, and I have to manually remove it.

If I set the IP manually it stays away, so it's something that the ISP is adding.

weedx Platinum

I also stayed at the Courtyard Williston VT March 12.  Internet was the worst I've ever had at a Marriott.  It is rare that I get unusable internet at the Marriott's I've been to. This one was horrendous, you were lucky to get .28 down! The loss of productivity and ability to get anything done online outweighs most of the other benefits. It should be grounds for a free night certificate.

scrutinizer Gold

I have stayed at every brand Marriott has, and one of the nice things about Marriotts and Courtyards, in particular, is you know what to expect. The Courtyard by Marriott in Culver City, CA is a little different. The internet access here is designed to get you to pay for the "premium" access. After logging in, you are given two choices: "High Speed" Internet for free or "Premium" Internet for $4.95 per day. At all other Courtyards, from Chicago to Miami to Seattle, the "free" Internet is adequate for emails, texting, browsing the Internet, and even using Face Time to call friends and family. But not here. The "High Speed" or free Internet is throttled down to 1.5 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload, exactly. No variation in speed, which leads me to believe that my inability to send text messages or use any of my iPAD or iPhone's functionality is purposely blocked by this Courtyard. When I approached the front desk about this, I was told that for $4.95 per day, I would no longer experience any problems. This hotel has lost site of things. By trying to squeeze an additional five bucks out of me, they have lost a customer. Oh and being a Gold Elite member makes no difference here. What I don't get is that I am paying $227 per night. Isn't that enough to cover the wifi charges? Do they really need another five bucks?

• Courtyard Marriott Culver City, CA
    • WiFi "Premium" $4.95/day
    • Ping 7ms
    • 1.5 Mbps download
    • 1.5 Mbps Upload
    • iPhone/iPad functionality virtually disabled on "free" Internet

ndn Platinum

Or you could just use your elite status and get it free......

How was the Moxy?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...