7 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2010 7:40 PM by nuhusker RSS

The Times, they are a changin'

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, guess that it's that time of the year: almost any time lately when loyalty savants up the ante (and points) for some hotels:  Hyatt is the latest to do this as shown here.

If there was a commensurate increase in the quality of these hotels and the amenities they offer it would be a little easier to swallow.  For me, this reinforces the notion that the good old days are going to be (or are) gone forever.

Hyatt seems to think this is a good idea, but time will tell on this and other changes to loyalty programs we know and love.

• Re: The Times, they are a changin'
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Stepping,

Not understanding your point... Marriott did the same exact thing in January, 2009... more points for the same hotel, certainly no value added.  And, as we all know, the whole 'no blackout' policy is a total farce!  Also, what about creating the new Category 8 and upgrading the most popular hotels to that category requiring many more points?

And. then again this year... we have the re-catergorizing of many hotels?  I haven't had a chance to analyze this but I'm willing to bet more hotels went UP in category than went DOWN... again costing us more points. 

I'm getting more than tired of Marriott pushing us to the limits.

At least Hilton really doesn't have blackout dates and they waited an extra year to hike their points. 

And, Hyatt has waited even longer to up the points on some of their hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep, and well said since every program is making changes and not for the better--check Mileage Plus to see what little you get these days, if you can find a flight.

I fear that bean counters, who have always ruled things anyway, see this as a corporate liability and are willing to  reduce some things to see when we'll say "enough" and until legions of members do, those alterations will keep on coming.

To everything, change, change, change, as the good book says.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Oh, don't even get me started about Mileage Plus!  Yell

compliance2 Platinum 3 Reviews

Unfortunately, the link does not work.  These promo's should be automatic for highest earners.

james30 Platinum

I noticed more points are required now for one of my favorite Marriott properties in California vs. the end of last year.  I was surprised given the changes that were made last year.

james30 Platinum

NewHilton

I agree.  Unlike the "old days," I, too, have changed.  If I need to pay, I check Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, etc., as well as Marriott.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

no problem with the link for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...