6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2010 9:41 PM by vpplayer RSS

Tighter travel controls

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As someone who had to conform to the federal Joint Travel Regulations, I can appreciate the information in this article that tells us companies are combining tighter controls on travel spending with increased emphasis on videoconferencing.

I recall a United commercial that showed a bunch of business people sitting in a conference room when the boss said that one of their oldest clients fired them, because they had done business over the phone and by fax rather than as a personal visit.  Given United's desires to have people fly rather than chat on the phone, the message was: go and go often to see all those clients!

The future may be in telepresence or some other remote video feeds, who can say?

Anyone get the "travel less" message recently?

• Re: Tighter travel controls
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Yep... my new client has me working from home for the next year.

Yea in many regards!!!!  But, no hotel points/nights either.  Luckily, I'm Lifetime Plat!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Dear New Hilton, feel the same way but I miss making the nights--only half way to Platinum Premier myself this year so far but as Lifetimer at Platinum the pressure is bearable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Stepping,

What am I missing?  If you are Lifetime Platinum, why are you trying to make Plat Premier this year?

Thanks!

My comptetive spirit and a wife who loves to travel!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

On the contrary, we are promoting MORE travel.  We have a $600k vdeo conferencing machine that goes mostly unused.   Face-to-face is the way to go, no question. 

vpplayer Platinum

Although YMMV...

That United commercial, which came out when i was in my twenties, has stuck with me throughout my business career because it continues to ring true.  I both am a customer, and I have customers.  We tend to have long-term >1 year projects so that may factor into my experience varying from others'.

Videoconferencing for my line of business is a very inefficient use of resources -- and the communications level oddly seems to be worse than a strictly voice telecon -- and so it only seems to be useful for short-notice or impromptu meeting where a problem needs to be discussed by a diverse (geographically) team and solved quickly. 

I encourage my project managers to personally meet with our customers often to avoid the scenario described by the commercial.  I also encourage them to visit our contractors often, which serves a dual purpose: 1) to better ensure that project progress is on the schedule that the vendor says it is.  One facility visit is worth a thousand powerpoint slides.   2)  we visit with the entire project team, not just the PM.  The worker bees (and I mean that very respectfully) truly appreciate that their customer is not a faceless name, and cares.

I am fortunate in my position that I both allocate and manage our travel budget as well as approve travel and expenses, subject of course to the JTR which we have to follow as well.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...