This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

17 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2010 4:28 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Disappearing posts

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As I am sure everyone notices, with only four categories listed on the Insiders, as soon as a post is up it moves down the Que and disappears from sight, unless you've decided to try to subscribe to that post.

As a suggestion, why can't the original post remain in the box for several days with a small annotation that there have been "X" number of replies to that post with the most recent being posted on (give the date)?

This would allow folks to see topics that they may or may not be interested in and see the status of interest in that topic.

• Re: Disappearing posts
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I am totally confused with these new changes.

There used to be a screen where I could see a list of all cities within country and then zoom in on the place I needed to learn about.

How the heck do I get to it now?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Click on the Advanced Search link on the upper right side of the page... enter the city and country, then click on Search.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I am totally confused with these new changes. There used to be a screen where I could see a list of all cities within country and then zoom in on the place I needed to learn about. How the heck do I get to it now?"

Browse by Destinations and Browse by Topics were completely devastated in the LiveWorld | Marriott Tsunami of 4/1/10.  Since you were among the top 5 posters, be prepared for bad news.  Over 90% of your messages are hidden and no longer accessible via 'View All Posts'.  It's defective, broke, useless.  There's nothing user-friendly left, but screen captures:

As noted in my recent post, Re: Online Auctions Dilute Elite Benefits Marriott has websites covering10 markets:

I've visited all home pages.  Anybody else?  Ony the USA has a link to Insiders.    What is significant is that Marriott Rewards Insiders is the only online community serving all of the above.  If you were to enter this site speaking another language, Browse by Destinations was so user-friendly.  Popular destinations and transportation hubs with major Marriott brands like Paris, London, Rome, San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York are easily recognizable by an international travel audience:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Home01Page-2.jpg

Above:  Insiders home page prior to 4/1/10 featuring the user-friendly, Browse by Destination.

Below:  Insiders home page after 4/1/10 with 2 new features, Forums and Ask/Answer

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/My_Subscriptions_Delete_User-IE-1.jpg

Similarly, Browse by Topics used graphic images that are easily recognizable.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Home01Page-3.jpg

You've been extremely fortunate, MikiegFLA.  With the exception of a few landmines that blew up if you happened to click on a new 'feature', the tsunami overtook the site with a whisper and didn't even make the 6 o'clock news.   Strangely, the tsunami was not a natural phenomenon, it was a man-made oversite!  Although any major enterprise worthy of note would automate back-ups of anything that remotely touched customers, it does not appear that one survived 4/1/10.  From what we can surmise, the backups were corrupted, too.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi TJC,

I couldn't agree more.  I only check every so often because the forums are essentially useless with a few exceptions and I don't have the time to do advanced searches for most of the cities I used to post to frequently or read about.

Also, so much for the regular updates...

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Never discovered until just now that you can reply to your own posts!  Is this something that has always been there or is it new to the new Insiders?

As a technophobe this all seems new!

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/carousel_insiders.gif

Stepping Stones

The Reply button (on every post) was introduced 4/1.  One Insider who is now 'meditating' enjoyed the feature.  Overall, this is a positive enhancement that sets the stage for branching messages. But let's not get ahead... there's still many defects that require attention...

Now that View All My Posts is restored, searches are more populous but less meaningful. For example:

Search Term = points

City = Palm Desert

State = California

Country = USA

Brand = Renaissance

This search delivered ZERO, but as of today 722 posts.  Try it.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Apparently the search filter doesn't work too well either. I'm heading to Paris in 3 weeks (CE) and entered "France" for country and then "Paris" in the Hotels Ask & Answer page. Imagine my surprise when it returned results for hotels in South Carolina and California (among a dozen others) and none of them contained the literals "France" or "Paris" within them.

This is just awful. And what's worse, it doesn't appear that anybody from Marriott is listening.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchinOurShoes.jpg

"Apparently the search filter doesn't work too well either. I'm heading to Paris in 3 weeks (CE) and entered "France" for country and then "Paris" in the Hotels Ask & Answer page. Imagine my surprise when it returned results for hotels in South Carolina and California (among a dozen others) and none of them contained the literals "France" or "Paris" within them."

MikiegFLA

On 4.1.10, any search involving multiple fields delivered ZERO.  On 5.7.10 View All My Posts functionality was finally restored.  With that the Search experience is as you describe, useless.

However, as a tip, try "Paris" i.e. w/quotes.  The Search engine does recognize double quotation marks and will deliver posts with an exact match. A search with "Paris" delivers 212 posts which appear to be relevant. Note however that "Paris" becomes "paris" as shown below:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchwQuotes.jpg

Above:  To enlarge, Right-click and select View Image

To the comment about "listening".  It seems that way.  "If" Andrew or a member of the team catches what we're discussing, all they can do is submit a 'trouble ticket'.  From there who knows. Very, very frustrating!

Hi all,

If it says anything about all of our frustration, I just made my first reservation at a Hilton in four years.  Every other stay I have had where there's been a Marriott choice, I chose Marriott.

Best, ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"If it says anything about all of our frustration, I just made my first reservation at a Hilton in four years. "

Professor - I get it.  A bientot.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Prof.

I'm with you.  I am actually at a Hilton tonight.  My frustration peaked yestewrday when the "free" internet service was not available at the Marriott.  It was IT problems that caused the problem, but that, added to the fact that the workout room has been 'under construction' for two months now and it looks like another month before completion, and I just decided to take a break.  Is anybody listening????

Hi Shoeman and TJC,

I had been looking for a Marriott hotel in Dublin and found (surprisingly) only two -- the Shelbourne and one outside the city.  The Sherbourne charges 209 euros a night unless you go with advanced purchase.   I then read Tripadvisor postings, many of which said they were Marriott Rewards members who were treated badly when using points for a stay at the Sherbourne.  There seemed a distinct split in views -- people who really liked it or really didn't.

Then I checked Hilton, which has three hotels in Dublin.  I ended up booking the Conrad Dublin for 45 euros less a night (and same rating) as the Shelbourne.

Also, I get a 300% mileage bonus on Delta as a special promotion.

I think the tripadvisor ratings (combined with our recent online experiences and the Delta special) were what clinched it.  While I have almost always been treated wonderfully when using points (Athens Ledra, Brussels Marriott, London County Hall), I have seen many Insiders say otherwise.  So when I read that about the Shelbourne I made up my mind to go with Hilton.

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof  -   Sounds like regardless where you stay, a good time is about to be had.  I travel quite a bit on business, but never seem to stop long enough to smell the roses.  how neat that you are able to combine work and pleasure.  enjoy!

Thanks, Shoeman,

It took a grueling 9 years in grad school then many jobs as an itinerant professor, but I'm finally at the stage in my career where I truly can combine research with pleasure without having to stay in hostels and eating at train stations!  The great part is that it also benefits my students (even trips like this one, which has nothing to do with research) because I invariably seek out the ancient and medieval slides to photograph.  There's nothing like being there to get a feel for historical events!

Assuming the volcano doesn't act up again, I'll post photos.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I think the tripadvisor ratings (combined with our recent online experiences and the Delta special) were what clinched it."

Rarely does TripAdvisor underdeliver.  There are so many reviews, searches are fast, and the content worth reading.  Have an extraordinary trip to the Emerald Isles!

I agree, TJ -- I've been using TripAdvisor for years and find you get very up-to-date and balanced reviews.

Since I've never been to Ireland before, I'm counting on some Insiders to offer suggestions that don't involve driving.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Professor

I'd be forthcoming if I had the pleasure.  Having already tried in Bermuda, I am apprehensive about getting behind the wheel in a country that observes driving on the opposite side of the road than I'm used to.  BUT, a former co-worker now retired goes to Ireland every year to visit her sister and highly recommends, Top 10 Driving Tips for Ireland

Enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...