3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2010 8:51 PM by 3boysmom RSS

South CA recommendation

marco770 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

First time visit to CA in Late June Mid July-need recommendation for visit to S.CA area for shopping, eats, (no touristy or lots of small child) for 5+ nites in hotel that will not disappoint--have spent days reading reviews-So far San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina and Coronado Island Resort and Spa stand out.  Promised 25yr daughter (NFL cheerleader) a great time and will also see first grandchild born to my US Marine son currently at Pendleton.  Would like to use points w/o hassle--would appreciate any info and/or recommendation for East Coast Southerner...

• Re: South CA recommendation
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Actually any of the hotels you mentioned would be fine, but in my book San Diego's weather is not as good as the Chamber of Commerce says it is. The coast starting in May can be foggy and cool.  Camp Pendleton is in the northern stretches of that area.

Look into the coastal Orange County Marriotts:  Newport Beach especially.  For a really special time consider the Ritz in Laguna Nigel.

Have a great time!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Living as I do in north San Diego County, I completely agree with Stepping Stones but would also add the Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa at Dana Point to your list.  Dana Point is actually in south Orange County not far from Pendleton. 

Laguna Cliffs Resort (which - contrary to some mis-information - is NOT located in or adjacent to Laguna Beach) has a spectacular presence at the top of a hill overlooking both the Pacific and the Dana Point wharf with a 180-degree ocean view.

The Resort is an easy walk down a hillside walking path to anything in Dana Point, includng the Catalina Express boat dock at the Wharf  ---- with frequent service to Avalon on Catalina Island (if such a venture interests you).

The only downside is that Laguna Cliffs is not a beachfront resort ---- however, Doheny Beach is within walking distance at the other end of downtown Dana Point.

Camp Pendleton is a short 7 mile drive south of Dana Point on I-5  through San Clemente.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

3boysmom Silver 1 Reviews

Last June our family wanted to do the same thing.  WE stayed at the Marriott on Coronado island using our points.  It was wonderful.  Very relaxing and quiet.  Our favorite part was getting up in the morning and strolling the path along the ocean, walking to get coffee at Ferry Landing.  But since your daughter is 25, I think you all might enjoy the San Diego Marriott hotel & Marina.  This hotel is gorgeous!  Is walking distance to a lot more restaurants and if you're lucky they might even have a concert near by.  Also be sure to ask as they have fireworks displays out over the bay and we really enjoyed them.  You're picking a perfect time of year to go.  On coronado island, within walking distance is a small BBQ place called Lit' Piggy's BBQ.  It doesn't look like much, but it was really good and priced very reasonable.  Have fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...