This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

11 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2010 4:58 PM by mastersman RSS

Site Challenges, Progress

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Good Afternoon, Insiders.

We built this site for you – using your continual feedback as the basis for all enhancement projects.  We are always listening, and we hear you even louder now given the recent challenges.

Your concerns and suggestions continue to be the basis of all of our development activity. We will be working on adding new features/functionality after we’ve addressed each and every trouble spot of this site. In light of this, we will be suspending the Photo Album plans and focusing directly on the current issues at hand.

In regard to recent requests to aid in testing our new systems, we gratefully appreciate your offers. However, our Marriott Rewards staff has been working alongside diligent, well-qualified testing personnel for all site updates and enhancements. Still, this is a coordinated effort with our partner’s testing platform – their regression testing and test site operations for this round of updates and enhancements quite clearly failed to meet our (and your) expectations. As noted, this is one of many trouble areas we have put at the forefront in our rebuilding strategy with our partner. 

We appreciate ProfChiara’s post regarding a request for daily updates, and have been discussing the possibility of a set update schedule. We plan to announce any and all significant progress as our partners continue to provide us with this vital information.

Thanks again,

Andrew

• Re: Site Challenges, Progress
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your response to our many Insiders' concerns. As I've expressed before, one of the reasons Marriott has received such visceral responses is that you created such a wonderful travel community website in the first place.  That's what we miss, and it's hard to find the people we used to talk with without jumping through many hoops, and sometimes even then we can't.

Postponing Photo Albums is a great idea in the more important process of fixing Insiders. I think you probably already have gotten the impression that most of us feel you fixed something that wasn't broken -- and that the result from our point of view was pretty much a total failure.

All of us who are regulars would really appreciate regular updates even if not a daily blog. In one of my other comments, I compared the early response to waiting at an airport for updates on your flights.  The  gate agents never update you; sometimes you  get information via an airline 800 number; but in any case everyone feels frustrated and vents or gets angry.

I think as long as we know what's happening with Insiders, with some reasonable expectation that we can get back to the kind of person-to-person (yet available to all) interaction via travel, including of course Marriotts, we'll be happy.  The thing we have been so upset about is that without ridiculously time-consuming searches, we can no longer find the people we most relied on to provide us with information.  Moreover, the lack of site-specific forums (for me Rome, Paris, London, etc) means I never see those posts. I am a busy person -- as are most of us -- so we don't have time for the kinds of searches the new provider has or has not.

I love Marriott; I recommend its hotels, rewards, and credit cards to everyone I know. This has been a setback in that regard and the sooner you can get things back to normal, the better.

But please keep us regularly posted!  Don't make us act like those nasty people who accost gate agents at airports to force them to announce delays, cancellations, etc.

I am very, very loyal to Marriott -- except where there aren't any in Europe, my most frequent travel site.  Please confirm that loyalty by your dedication to getting us back to normal.  You have probably gathered a lot of us 'have gotten to know each other' albeit only through Insiders.

Best,

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Professor Chiara, very well said.

I think we all appreciate the behind the scenes scrambling to fix the current system, and as loyal posters, anticipate that some day we'll have a modicum of what we had in the past (as recently as March 2010).

I am as loyal as the next person to Marriott, as we all are (even new Hilton member), and want to see the site restored to a semblance of what it was. I, unlike others, am not ion a frenzied hurry, however, since I know that making things right often takes time, and is fraught with danger along the way.

So, keep on keepin' on, Andrew and LiveWorld--we wait better things on the Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

LOL, Stepping!

Hopefully, you won't think me too much of a traitor... I also post on Fodors.com!  HeeHeeHee!!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Can we call you New Fodors Member as well?

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

And... NewTripAdvisorMember, NewFrommersMember, NewBudgetTravelMember, etc., etc., etc.!  Must be forgetting someone...  Laughing 

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/PIN-ViewAllMyPosts.jpg

Above:  Screen capture of 'My Profile', 'View All My Posts' by Pingreeman

Pingreeman,

I agree 100%.  As illustrated in your message, "VIEW ALL MY POSTS" highlights the deepest and most major defect at Insiders.  IMO, View All My Posts deserves the highest priority to be fixed.

Possible remedies include:

• Rename 'View All My Posts' to 'View All My Topics'
    • Add a new feature, 'View All My Replies'
    • Add a new feature, 'View All Topics and Replies'

When the above items are remedied and w/o defect:

• Add a new feature, 'View All Photos'

UPDATE:  Pingreeman - Please note that I sent you a PM with an e-mail address.  Feel free to foward the 11-page document which will facilitate online collaboration.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pingreeman -- I also ask Andrew in a PM to consider your offer to test new changes they're working on for insiders.  Although he declined, at least he answered and specifically addressed the question.  Try emailing Andrew directly.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andrew,

In response to a PM noted in a prior post, Pingreeman sent his document earlier this morning. While several pages relate to 'user experience' issues noted by him and others, there was one that has broader implications that caught my eye immediately: Issue #7.   To his credit, Pingreeman has shared Issues 1-5 online.  I believe he will post the other Issues by tomorrow.

I don't believe it's come up before, so it's worth bringing to everyone's attention, Issue #7: My Tags. For those who may not be familiar with this Insider feature, 'My Tags' may be found when you click, 'My Profile' in the upper right corner of the screen.

Before 4/1, I was unable to enter, 'Customer.Care@Marriott.com' as a Tag because the number of characters exceeded the space available.  Why is 'Customer.Care@Marriott.com' an important Tag?  Well, whenever someone posts a complaint, it's my personal practice to suggest they consider contacting 'Customer.Care@Marriott.com'.

When another Insider posts a complaint similar to one encountered before, it makes sense to use that Tag as a keyword to Search for the post.  Why?  Because it saves time to point people to similar posts so they might benefit from the discussion and possibly obtain a positive outcome. A positive outcome is a win-win for Insiders and Marriott.

Among the 4/1 enhancements that meets and exceeds expectations is the expansion of the Tag capability.  Since April 1st, the Tag function is no longer limited to 10 characters, now we have the ability to enter longer Tags.

Pingreeman points out an unexpected by-product of this enhancement.  He notes that a Reply to 'Ask & Answer' causes 'My Tags' to inherit all Tags associated with the post, rather than the Tags specifically added by the Insider.  Pingreeman's screen captures - which are attached for convenience - illustrate the issue extremely well.

What is the issue? There are several. One is Privacy. "My Tags" should show only MY Tags, with the emphasis on 'My'. The other potential issue is Landmines.  In addition to adding Tags, we can delete them.  What happens if I delete a Tag?  Is it removed from "My Tags"? What if it is not removed, and I click on it?  Will it trigger a 'Landmine'?  Given the recent experience with 'My Subscriptions,' I'll leave the Landmine issue to you, Andrew and the LiveWorld team to test and find out.

From a community perspective, we would like nothing more than to have these issues as a distant memory and get on with posting about memorable experiences as guests of Marriott.  It's close of business on day 29, what is the status?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

It's been a few days since I've checked to see if there has been any progress on the site.  As far as I can tell, there's been none.

It will probably be several more days before I check again -- it seems hardly worth the sign-in process.

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ProfChiara  -  I'm with you 100%.  I find noi pleasure in perusing the site.  I too will be visiting from time-to-time, but will not be posting daily.  It's sad....

mastersman Platinum

What was wrong with the site before you starting messing with it? Put it back to the way it was and everyone will be much happier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...