7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2010 3:11 PM by rasd10 RSS

Looking for tips switching from MR VISA to Premier VISA

saintsfan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone switched/upgraded from the regular MR VISA to the Premier VISA card?  If so, please share any tips including what happens with the bonus nights (already received 10 nights for auto Silver - did you receive additional 15 nights when switching?).

Thanks,

KB

• Re: Looking for tips switching from MR VISA to Premier VISA
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

The premier card is worth every dollar you pay annually.  You really do get the 15 nights credited, a free night, and 5 points per Marriott spending, 2 for airline spending, 1 for everything else. I use it like a debit card and pay it off every month, so I have gotten thousands of points.  They also have a new thing where for every $3000 you spend on it, you get a credited night toward elite status.

Go for it!
    ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

saintsfan Platinum

Thanks for the reply.  I already have the regular card and am thinking about switching to the Premier card and was looking for anyone else who had done that.  Specifically, do you get the 10 free elite nights from the regular card plus the 15 when opening the Premier card (and closing the regular account)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi SaintsFan,
    First of all, from a Pats' fan, congratulations on a great and well-deserved victory!

I don't recall that I got the 10+15, but I know since I get 15 nights a year.  But that really isn't the biggest benefit for me -- it's the 5 points for every dollar of Marriott spending and 2 points for airlines.

I wouldn't go back in a minute.

Best, ProfChiara

taxman415 Platinum

And in addition to everything that has already been mentioned you receive a Free Night Stay upon account approval (category 1-4 hotels) and each year upon account anniversary (category 1-5 hotels). Worth well more than $65 fee...

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi:

I suppose you are considered a new Chase card member when you switch so my guess would be that you're going to get 15 elite qualifying nights when you upgrade. I have the Premier card and have racked many points at Marriott and now with the accelerator (every $3K spent on anything equals an elite night) it is even more lucrative for me.  I find their customer service to be good as well. When my Marriott Rewards number was stolen and used persons unknown I had a new card from them in less than three days!

There is a toll-free number you can call on the back of your current card to ask.  With the new credit card laws going in place in the US you might find that the ability to upgrade is now harder than before. A friend with a high FICO score was rejected recently, not for this cars, but another.

Recently, the Wall Street Journal compared elite credit cards on three metrics. Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX was seen as the best, but "may not be widely accepted overseas," quite a "but."

Good luck and good upgrading--the card works well for me.

james30 Platinum

Saints Fan,

You will not receive the nights from both cards, but you will receive the 15 nights from the Premier card as they will give you whatever is the maximum.  Also you will receive more points for each dollar you spend with the Premier card.  You will receive just one e-certificate as well.

COLTS FAN

rasd10 Platinum

I made the change.  everything went as advertised although I did have to call them a second time to make the request.  Got the 15 night-stay credit immediately.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...