This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 2:06 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

LiveWorld Host

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just looked at a list of all the client communities of LiveWorld, and while the list and members are impressive, the immediate thing that struck me was that none of them seemed likely to fit the kind of networking community we had here.

I don't know IT at all, but TJC and SteppingStones do.  Do any of these 'communities' seem at all to you like Insiders once was? If not, then is there any hope for the future of our group?  I'm simply not satisfied with seeing the three main posts for the four main targets LiveWorld seems to have chosen for Marriott Insiders.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Italy
  • Re: LiveWorld Host
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Professor, I am many things but I am totally and irrevocably clueless when I comes to IT and IT systems. I leave that to others whose portfolio and training allows them to be much more drill-down, technically oriented than I am.

I would prefer to think of myself as Napoleon's Corporal, the one that the Emperor had nearby to get to the basics: if the corporal could understand it then the idea had merit.

I do know when a system works and when it doesn't, and the recent changes to Insiders have not worked that well for me, and most if not all others.  I am a patient person, and am willing to give Liveworld and Marriott time to rectify the issues that have been raised on these forums.

Grazie for thinking that of me anyway!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Professor -- A recent post from Pingreeman cited Liveworld's credentials and impressive client list.  I also checked it out and with an exception or two, it looked ok to me, but then I ain't got no computer in me.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Professor Chiara:

Like any software solution provider, my hunch is that LiveWorld offers a set of modules which can be customized and packaged to offer a complete online solution by brand, audience segment and budget.

As a parallel, there are many textbook publishers serving the education market.  That market is segmented by age, subject, delivery, role and more.  Same thing with software.

The biggest difference between a textbook and Insiders is the manner in which the content is authored and aggregated.  A textbook is about edited and published content.  Insiders is about user-generated content. To create a successful solution, all of the stakeholders involved will have to collaborate closely.

In the universe of user-generated content, there are many successful examples including YouTube, Facebook, TripAdvisor and Wikipedia.  Each of these success stories involve heavy user participation - recognizing that the end-user is an essential stakeholder.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi TJC,

I completely agree with what you've said.  I guess what threw me when I looked at their sponsor sites was that while many if not all were totally legitimate (NBC, etc), few seemed to have any contact with the travel industry, whether it be hotels, airlines, or other forms that interest frequent travelers.

I don't pretend the complexity of all this, but will take your collective word for it that Andrew seems to know what he is doing. Like I said, it's not so much anger as a sense of loss.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Professor Chiara:

If a solutions provider helps a client achieve stated business goals, the success story helps to win more clients - raising an extremely valid point. (Drumroll, please!)

Exactly one month ago, on March 23rd*, Marriott's standings in the Hotel World Network poll, "Which brand has the best loyalty program?" peaked at 63%:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HWN-032310-2.jpg

Aside from the fact that Hilton engaged IBM as their new solutions provider and IHG continues to engage Communispace as their provider, the LiveWorld | Marriott partnership as of late has had a measurable, if not questionable impact over the past month.  Marriott's significant lead dropped nearly 20 percentage points:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/MarriottSlides-HWNPoll-44.jpg

If your most loyal guests are engaged in advocating your brand, and you have diligently involved all stakeholders impacted by your service offerings, how does a slide of that magnitude happen?

In agreement with NUHusker, perhaps, "heads should roll?"

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

French Revolution is not the best paradigm TJ.  Solve the problem, change the vendor, worry about personnel shifts later--that's my motto!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"French Revolution is not the best paradigm"

Heads rolling down Bethesda's Democracy Boulevard will not restore the brand engagement that 63% suggests. "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" might be the best paradigm.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...