16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 11:53 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Open Letter to All MRI Participants

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We have all experienced a terrible upgrade to the MRI and are still upset that some features or processes are not working. Old posting history seems lost, advanced searches do not work, navigation is still difficult, etc. We've both read and posted our complaints. I believe a better approach is in order.

I would like to suggest that instead of posting more "issues and complaints" directly to the forum that you consider sending an e-mail directly to support@mymarriottvoice.com. By using e-mail, you can better define and document the problem/issue while avoiding a "world-wide" prominence here at Insiders. If we continue to post system complaints at Insiders, I believe that new Marriott Insiders will be disenfranchised by reading all of the topics and issues with the new system. This has to be counter-productive to this community and its purpose.

• Re: Open Letter to All MRI Participants
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep!  Well said.  Aside from the considerable issues recognized and posted on there is not much else anyone can see in the forums.  The problems are there, the reports made, so let's get back to the intent of the Insiders in the first place.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pingreeman -- Suggestion noted, and I'll consider sending an email, but I believe that this situation needs to be exposed in an effort to continue to press Marriott for a fix.  If Marriott's reputation is tarnished, it won't be from comments by insiders, but self-inflicted.  Still think heads need to roll over this.  Remember, I pull for a team where 9 and 3 coaches are fired.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with NUHusker.  I think we do need to keep the pressure on Marriott, though I'll be honest -- I'm not even checking very much any more because I can't find much of interest or even scroll through lots of miscellaneous posts.

ProfChiara

• Re: 'cra-po-li-ta'
    tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

I've recovered from my horrible incident yesterday and have uncovered more 'cra-po-la' or is it 'cra-po-li-ta'?

I agree with our Professor and NUHusker for a very different reason. Online community is about online collaboration. I'm passionate about that.  Once we go 'underground', the basis for exchange and sharing is lost.

Stay tuned.

tjcnewyork Platinum

maybe a virtual campfire, virtual guitar, virtual singing Michael row the boat ashore, virtual holding hands, virtual result:

...so let's get back to the intent of the Insiders in the first place.

Welcome to the Insiders, an online travel community for Marriott Rewards members

Who sang that song, Michael that is, was it the Highwaymen or the Kingston Trio?

very good question, Stepping Stones.  I believe that was the Highwaymen, but I'm thinking just about every other folk-rock group of the 60's and even into the 70's attempted it as well.  It was a regular on AFRN in SEA.  It had a calming effect.  At times, much needed.

Also don't forget the British Overseas Radio beamed into West and East Germany--loved that as well.  Robin Williams, eat your heart out!

Wikipedia says it was a spiritual and recorded many times:

One of the earliest recordings of the song is by folksinger Bob Gibson, who included it on his 1957 Carnegie Concert[9] After The Weavers included an arrangement in album.The Weavers' Song Book, published in 1960, the American folk quintet The Highwaymen had a number-one hit on both the pop and "easy listening" charts in the U.S. with it (under the simpler title of "Michael") in 1961; this version also went to #1 in the United Kingdom.[10] Lonnie Donegan reached #6 in the UK Singles Chart with his cover version in 1961. Harry Belafonte recorded a popular version of it for his 1962 Midnight Special album; Pete Seeger included it in his Children's Concert at Town Hall in 1963. Trini Lopez had a hit with it in 1964.

The Smothers Brothers did a fairly straightforward version of the song on their album It Must Have Been Something I Said!, before turning it into a comic sing-along on Golden Hits of the Smothers Brothers, Vol. 2 (which is also included on their album Sibling Revelry: The Best of the Smothers Brothers.

SteppingStones -- don't remember the British Overseas Radio network, but I did make it to West, and East Berlin 3X between 79-83, while stationed in Holland.  Once by air to Templehof (USAF base at the time), once by troop train out of Mannheim, and once by POV having to pass thru Checkpoints Alpha (Helmstedt), Bravo (West Berlin), and Charlie (entering East Berlin).  Talk about travel adventures...if only Insiders had been around back then!  Not that most needed any reminder of how precious freedom was then, or now, it hit you squarely up side the head when you saw the contrast of West/East.  I have not been back, but enjoy reading posts by those who stay at Marriott properties in Berlin.  And thank you for prompting these fond memories from years back.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hello to All.

Like ProfChiara, I have been avoiding the site lately, solely because of the frustration in navigating.  I admit to being deficient in all things IT, but I would suggest that more Insiders are deficent than not. So, the only hope the community has in having me as an active member is a simpler site navigation, as well as a better bundling of groups and posts.  Additionally, I totally agree with NUHUSKER regarding not only our right, but also our duty to keep the pressure up on the need for a meaningful fix to the site.  If that makes someone uncomfortable, well, that's the whole idea.  Also, as was said on another post, 'community' is all about sharing ideas.  we must not stop that!  Interestingly, I did not receive a single email notification today of new posts on threads I am following.  Usually, I receive 5,8,10 such notices daily.  I wonder if the system has discontinued that notification.  Anyone know? 

Shoeman, I just subscribed yesterday to follow a few insiders and only a few particular threads, and got bombarded with emails today.  So that system worked for me.  In fact, I'm going thru the list and checking all the links right now.  Could possibly be that you've discovered another "new" issue with the sight.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHUSKER  - thanks for the info.  by the way, that suh is one big fella!

It is now called the British Forces Broadcasting Service and is located in Herford.  They used to be AM only so while rocketing along  the Autobahn, practicing my defensive driving and E and E skills, I'd pick them up and sing along.

My time in the FRG was mainly doing classified things, no, it was all that way, but I can tell you I have many fond memories of times, people and places. Some who gave their all for this country.

Marriotts in Germany were non-existent at that time but the US Embassy Guest House in Bad Godesburg as well as BOQs here and there were excellent. I even got to be a guest at one of the Vier Jahreszeiten hotels there (yes it was a fluke).

What I can tell is that, for services rendered, I was the guest of the West German government in Bonn on a TDY, and that was a time to be savored and relished for sure. Even funnier was returning to the US (Dulles) without a stamp for entry or exit to Germany--at least I found it amusing, Customs had another opinion.

I also sat at first table in the Lowenbrau tent during Oktoberfest one year in 1982, but that's a story for another day and over a cold beer! My four matched lead crystal liter Lowenbrau mugs with the pewter lids have a place of honor in our china cabinet. My cheesy and cheap tee shirt has long since disintegrated!

Memories are wonderful, and thanks for making me think of them too!

This should be inscribed in stone on the cubicle wall of everyone, especially at Marriott Rewards.  Thanks for the tip on the article.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/WalkinOurShoes-1.jpg

Kudos Pingreeman. You've outdone yourself! GREAT article, thank you for posting it.  Out of the 12 best practices, these 7 struck a chord and merit an Insiders Scorecard:

Best Practice | Pre-April 1 Score | Post-April 1 Score

1. Put the needs of the community first. | 8.5/10 | 5/10

2. Community is mostly not a technology problem. | 9/10 | 3/10

3. Active community management is essential. | 8.5/10 | 2/10

9. Mutual ownership and control of communities enables trust and involvement. | 9.5/10 | 2/10

10. Most communities are highly social entities, and the rules of social engagement apply. | 9.5/10 | 2/10

11. Going to the community, instead of making it come to you, is a risky but increasingly viable strategy.| 7/10 | 1/10

12. Connect the community with the other CRM-related aspects of the organization.| 7/10 | 1/10

Regards #9 and #10, they are closely related, IMO. The Insiders Terms & Conditions call for us to be 'relevant' and 'respectful'. My expectation is that Marriott engage with the same yardstick.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...