This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2010 5:06 PM by nuhusker RSS

The Nuclear Options

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am seeing a lot of posts from folks who want action, but in my humble opinion, the firing of anyone for the current situation with Insiders is a little over the top.

It's been less than a month and we've all had our patience wear thin as we try to do the things we used to do, and we can't.  I've crashed three times when creating a post (luckily it was just my Dell Optiplex and no long term damage was done).  Mozilla now had three more Firefox 3.6.5 beta crash reports to mull over.

My question for today:  Are we so impatient that we can't wait and see if the issues we've all complained about can be fixed?  Do we see this change as the end of the world (at least the Insiders portion of the planet)?  For me it is not that drastic.  What we will do if they are not fixed?

Only a few of us are constantly posting compared to the total universe of folks in Marriott Rewards.  Yes, we may be in the top echelons of stayers and do not need to demonstrate that we are loyal to Marriott.  But, we are also realistic to know that Insiders is not the reason (at least for me) that we stay at Marriott Hotels--it is the service that brings me back.  Insiders was a nice additional perk, but it never really made my Marriott experience different.

Just my opinion, and I have my HAZMAT suit on for the expected deluge of answers to come on this post.

• Re: The Nuclear Options
    tjcnewyork Platinum

The Insiders Terms & Conditions ask us to be Relevant and Respectful.   Whoever came up with this new structure has violated those terms, IMO. The new structure disrespects the time Insiders must now invest to respond to other Insiders questions.  And the changes which have yet to be fixed make sure that finding relevant content is now impossible.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I live in a linear world, TJ.  Past is past, and now is now.  I do not actually need to see all my prior posts (though I recall each one fondly), but react and post to the current thread.

I may be a distinct minority in the forums but I see this as an irritation, not the end of the world.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Usable & Easy-To-Use Options
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott's goal in hosting this online community is about guest-generated content and helping loyal guests find information that is useful and relevant about the Marriott experience.  Easy to use, point and click navigation helps to realize the goal.  As a comprehensive list of posts, the My Profile tool provided ease of use.  While My Profile remains easy-to-use, the comprehensiveness is no longer available.

Dear TJ:

I lack the magic wand necessary to undo all the changes, so I must confess that I cannot make things better. Were I Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I might click the heels of my ruby red jewel-studded shoes and be in Kansas once again.  Alas, I am in Monterey and Kansas is far, far way, as is my ability to change the new look of the Insiders.

The original intent, the core idea of the Insiders, as a forum for interchange of ideas and suggestions about Marriott, Marriott Rewards, and travel, is not lost.  It is still there, just a lot harder to get to than it used to be. I struggle with it, as do many others, but I can only wish for the past not create it.

And that's the truth as a famous Saturday Night Live player often said.

• Re: Importance of Inclusion
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Pingreeman - Congratulations on an excellent post!  You nailed it. Including target users in vetting the enhancements is a best practice approach proven to have real world success.

We are basking in the reflected glow of our own importance as a good friend always said (he was a "guest" of the US Government at the Manzanar relocation center as a child, then the North Vietnamese government at their less than luxurious "Hanoi Hilton" for years).

Those are California Poppies by the way, from a photo taken along CA highway 46, the James Dean Highway--we also have them here. State Flower and all that.   My In'N'Out with a Bentley photo may have tripped a copyright convention somewhere so I wisely moved it off stage.

And yes all is well in Monterey considering our 16.3% unemployment rate, home values dropping like a stone, persistent low clouds and fog hugging the coast of the world's largest Ocean (hint: starts with "P"), and grass that needs cutting every four days due to late season rains!

On a serious note I am concerned that the forums have become no more than a means to vent about things, much as every blog in the world becomes, and it saddens me that the tone has become less than nice in some posts. The Internet is all about free expression, which I endorse, but there seems to be a lot of piling on about the new site that is interesting but circular, in that the same issues surface and nothing changes.

Marriott Insiders is a convenience offered to us, not controlled by us.  Unless that changes we can complain, but it is Marriott that must heed and make the changes.

I hope that we can all get back to dealing with Marriott Insiders as we used to.

Pingreeman:

Well, that's the nice thing about Insiders--we can have differing opinions and you've clearly stated yours. I respect the ability of each of us to make statements and know that you do as well.

Cheers!

Stepping Stones.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Personally speaking, I don't care who, if anyone, likes my complaining about this, or who, if anyone, gets fired over it, although I do think heads ought to roll.  This was a stupid move!  Thank you pingreeman.  I don't understand all the techno-mumbo, but your response to Stepping stones challenge to those who complain, and therefore disagree with him, was bulls-eye.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Now that Marriott (Andrew) confirmed earlier that rollback is not in the cards, it's time to move forward.

"I hope that we can all get back to dealing with Marriott Insiders as we used to."

While I agree, usability still poses a setback.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

I understand where all of you are coming from and I both share an utter sense of frustration and yes, anger, because a virtual -- yet quite real -- community has been taken apart.  At the same time I do think we need to take a breath and not start taking it out on each other.

To me, what we've accomplished thus far is to make Marriott realize that a lot of us regulars are very upset and angry.  I think that is no small accomplishment and quite a good thing. It keeps the pressure on them to try to get this fixed. So even if we are venting, I feel it is doing so with a positive goal in mind.

Yet I believe it's even more important that those of us still posting remain a community of friends who enjoy sharing our stories (even if for now it's this bad one).

ProfChiara

TJC -- when did andrew post that rollback was not possible?  Not in his april 7th post where he apologized and said they'd be meeting all day long to try to figure it out.  Has he posted since then, and maybe I just don't know how to find it?

Hey Prof -- no anger here.  But, respectfully to all, I'll do my own thinking and deciding as to when I let Marriott off the hook for this bone-headed move.  Condescending remarks and attitudes suggesting that I get over it and move own don't really move me.  I wish that I could agree with you, Professor, that Marriott realizes the impact of their stupidity, but it ain't looking good for them right now.

• Re: Site Challenges
    tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker - Andrew posted earlier this morning, April 19 at 8:58 am under the thread, Site Challenges advising that a roll-back is not in the cards.  Ironically, it is now impossible to cross reference specific posts because they are buried under topics.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

wow.  I had no idea this stream was happening.... thank you Marriott!  not!!

Anyway, I find myself agreeing with bits of everyones viewpoints and I guess that is the KEY POINT.  This website, and the experience gained by it is different for each of us.  I don't know any of you, yet I feel a kinship toward each of you that, quite honestly astonishes me.  But, it's all good.  So, let's all keep communicating, not preaching, not making this situation larger than life.  We will get through this and will once again be enjoying the flow of information, be it positive or negative.  I know what I want out of this site and it will either provide that which I'm looking for, or I will cease my participation. 

Peace out!

Shoeman for President!  Great post and heartfelt words.  I too hope for the best, and find that hope alone is never enough but it sure beats doing nothing!

TJC, just found this reply from you and appreciate it.  thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...