This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

39 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2010 10:42 AM by nuhusker RSS

No Rollback Here's Why

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Dear all,

After 17 days and about 19 defects identified and documented, I've stumbled across an 'enhancement' which offers a plausible explanation why we should not expect a rollback of Insiders to the look, feel and functionality we enjoyed prior to April 1st.

Since April 1st you may have noticed a new icon popping up when you highlight text and attempt to copy it.  Here's the icon:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchIntegrationIcon.jpg

The icon only appears in Internet Explorer.  If you left-click on the icon, a new menu appears:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/NewFeature-SearchwithGoogle-05-F-1.jpg

Above: To enlarge, right-click the graphic, click View Image

So from Advanced Search, a user could highlight a brand, Marriott Vacation Club, left-click to open up a menu of integrated search options and select the preferred option which might be Google, Microsoft Bing Maps, TripAdvisor, Twitter, Facebook and whatever options the user has selected to integrate with Internet Explorer:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/NewFeature-SearchwithGoogle-06-From.jpg

• Re: No Rollback Here's Why
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This does not appear in Firefox 3.6.3 ,or Chrome and I have tried.  Why would this negate a rollback?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"negate  a rollback?"

It's a hunch.  A rollback may require the shifting of resources in a direction inconsistent with Marriott's online strategy. Marriott.com already uses the Microsoft look, feel and functionality for geographic mapping (Bing).  Extending integration to Insiders may realize more efficient resource utilization and create a brand standard.  While the reasoning to take this path is sound, the implementation may have hit several bumps.  I did not try Chrome, but in Firefox, the search integration is very simple and intuitive.

Here are 2 examples:

• Example 1. Highlight text w/in a message.  Right-click to display a drop-down menu.  Left-click to initiate a Search on Google for the highlighted text:http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/NewFeature-SearchwithGoogle-08-F-1.jpg

• Example 2. Highlight text w/in a Tag.  Right-click to display a drop-down menu.  Left-click to initiate a Search on Google for the highlighted text:http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/NewFeature-SearchwithGoogle-07-F-1.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi TJC,

I had noticed the right highlighted items as well (I use Firefox), which did seem like Marriott was trying to take us away from threads and to specific sites.  But as a history professor, I'm clueless about this and all professor jokes are  fair game.

Is it a mistake or a plan, in your view?  It's  hard to imagine this was their plan, unless there is some idiotic VP or other exec at Marriott who somehow discovered we were enjoying each other's insights too much and decided to put a stop to it. But the ill will generated would certainly have negated such thinking. I think the ill will is real -- while I won't stop staying at Marriotts, I'm as mad as I can get.

On the other hand if it was a mistake (as your email suggests), what do you see as the possible future results? Have they done something they can't undo?

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott was trying to take us away from threads and to specific sites"

That's a very keen insight, Professor.  I share that perception too.  However, I'm inclined to rethink that view.  The integration of search is much more effective if it is two-way.  There is a very strong business case to raise awareness of Marriott Rewards Insiders as the elite online travel community.  With two-way search integration, it would be possible to link to Insiders from TripAdvisor, Twitter, Facebook and other popular sites.  Ultimately the objective is to drive new business, more hotel reservations and higher levels of guest satisfaction. 

Two-way search capability can contribute, but ultimately the content has to be there.  Who goes to a site where there's no content or folks just griping?  Who wants to jump through 12 hoops to get to information?  There has to be interesting content and easy ways to get to it to compel people to come, engage them to return and participate in the life of the community. 

Anyone agree/disagree?

Hi TJC,

I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement -- and thanks for the explanation!
    ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones

Highlighting text in Chrome and right-click displays a drop-down menu with Search Google.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Is it a mistake or a plan?"

Both - Professor Chiara. 

There are case studies in the public domain that connect Microsoft Bing with Travel, Hospitality and Marriott.  Looking at the rivalry between Microsoft Mobile and iPhone, Marriott is getting ready to engage a mobile audience. 

My hunch is that the new look and feel is a step in a much larger business plan, but implementation had major flaws.  We're turning the corner on 3 weeks. The lack of progress strongly suggests that bandaid fixes and tinkering may have corrupted the backups.

Browse by Destination and Browse by Topic are two major features that made Insiders intuitive and easy-to-use.  Replacing them with bells and whistles that don't work posed a risk that Marriott may not have anticipated.  So the absence of a backup plan, IMO looks like a costly mistake.

Could Browse by Destination, Browse by Topic and other features which made Insiders engaging be re-created to complement the new structure?  I'm honestly not sure.  From a business perspective, it would require resources to be reallocated which may not be consistent with Marriott's long term objectives and timetable.  But, I remain optimistic that Marriott is on the side of the Insiders community and will share some insights with us.

Update 4/18/10:  Split reply to Prof Chiara to make it easier to read 

TJC:

Call me old-fashioned but I always hate to speculate on things without some base of knowledge.  I freely admit (with pride) to having next to no knowledge on the inner workings of software and software codes, but I can comment from four decades working in the world of intelligence, that things can be observed but motivations remain unobservable from afar.

In The Republic, Plato relays the Allegory of the Cave, where shackled men see only the shadows  on a wall they face cast by figures standing behind them.  This is the most telling analogy I can apply in this case: we are left with no direct knowledge of the intent of these changes, and quite frankly with little information from the changers as to what and why?

So, I think it may be premature to ascribe motives to the changes we have seen without first-hand knowledge of the rationale behind them, the stakeholders' desires in making them, the expected outcomes that will flow from them, as they play out.

None of what I've just said above diminishes our collective frustration stemming from these change.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones:

As clearly stated earlier, it's a hunch that there will be no rollback to the look, feel and functionality prior to April 1st. Whatever the business case behind the enhancements, a flawed implementation continues to be a costly setback.  Like a hoped-for rollback, Plato's fictional account of the Allegory of the Cave may be a myth.

Alas, TJC, if you're right, I'm gone.  I already check much less frequently than normal and I haven't checked my most frequent sites of Rome, Paris and London in a week.

Whoever made this decision should be fired. I don't say this lightly, but for whatever reason it may have been made -- given your hunch -- it is stupid, shortsighted and ultimately will prove a failure for Marriott.

Ciao, ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

To All -  Sadly, I'm with ProfChiara.  Count me out.  Sad, because I've truly enjoyed the interaction made possible on the site, as well as the ease of information gathering for purposes of both business and personal travel.   I can't really comment on motives, as was already stated, "who knows"?  what continues to baffle me in the absence of any response from Marriiott.  Wouldn't all of us agree that a simple email from Andrew stating the fix is coming and thanking us for our patience would have been invaluable.  Best to All.

shoeman

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman -- I recall Andrew doing just that.  He said they screwed up, apologized, and said they were going to have a day-long meeting to look for solutions.  Having said that, I am probably more dissatisfied and frustrated than most who use this site.  I know little to nothing about how these things work, but I had really enjoyed following posts by you, TJC, SteppingStones, the professor, and others.  Now I can't even track my own posts, and feel like I'm wasting time trying to follow my favorite insiders.  This is unbelievable!  Like I said before, would this kind of service be acceptable at the hotel you're staying at?  I think it's pathetic that Marriott doesn't have anyone smart enough to fix the problem and even more so that they don't seem to care about how they're treating their most loyal customers.

And while they're fixing the problem, how about putting the most recent posts at the top instead of requiring us to scroll thru all posts to find the latest one.

Hi TJC,

I'm using a Mac, so I don't have right click left click capabilities -- maybe that's why some others haven't been successful either?

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Pingreeman

Good post.  Thank you for the explanation about accelerators.  Very well done!  Accelerating the ability to find relevant information from specific sources is a step in the right direction, IMO.  I like the examples you gave.

Andrew gave us an update earlier.  Although Search by City and Search by Custom Term do work, Search by Brand does not.  Your comments about the contractual obligations are relevant, here.  The vendor is contracted to deliver 'Search by Brand'.  Let's hope they accelerate a breakthrough?  Only then will we see progress on recreating easy to use, point & click navigation like Browse.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Professor Chiara

Are you highlighting the text first?  As Pingreeman points out, the enhanced function is to accelerate seaches.  MAC is a fast and user-friendly platform so search accelerators may be redundant?

Thanks for the hint, TJC -- looks like it worked.  My trouble is that I like to understand how things work (mostly so I can figure out how to do them again), and this is way out of my area of expertise.  But at least now I do have the most recent to oldest.

ProfChiara

Pingreeman, thanks for the explanation, most of which is too technical for me and is therefore meaningless. I assume that not only does no insider have answers to my questions, neither does Marriott.  As I've said before, I think it's pathetic that Marriott doesn't have anyone smart enough to fix the problem and even more so that they don't seem to care about how they're treating their most loyal customers.

I just got an email from Andrew telling me he'd posted today that the old look ain't coming back due to some partner and platform problem (?????????????).  And he gave no assurances that when (????????????) the problem is fixed, that I'll be able to understand the new site.  But at least he answered.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I just got an email from Andrew telling me he'd posted today that the old look ain't coming back due to some partner and platform problem (?????????????).  And he gave no assurances that when (????????????) the problem is fixed, that I'll be able to understand the new site.  But at least he answered."

NuHusker,

I answered your question about Andrew's post under the Nuclear Options thread and reposted the complete text of the post. It's surprising to hear that Andrew reached out to you personally.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

My guess is that NUHUSKER is subscribed to this discussion.  That is why he received an email apprising him that Andrew had posted to the discussion.

tjcnewyork Platinum

carousel_insiders.gif picture by TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS

Greetings NewHiltonMembr

Based upon NUHusker's description, it sounds like Andrew sent a private message (PM) to NUHusker's personal Insiders Inbox.

To clarify....   In addition to posting public messages, Insiders also features private messaging.  Any Insider can send a private message to another Insider or group of Insiders including Marriott (Andrew). The message goes to the Insiders Inbox and triggers an alert sent to the Insiders e-mail.

To access the private message feature, click the Insiders Screen Name that appears above the avatar.  For example, my screen name is TJCNewYork. My avatar shows the apex of the Empire State Building with the Beams of Light symbolic of the World Trade Center twin towers after 9/11.

When my Insider Profile displays, you'll see two links on the right:

• Subscribe to Insider
    • Send a message to Insider

If you click, 'Subscribe to Insider', anytime I post a message, you'll receive an e-mail alerting you of the Topic(s) I posted to. If you 'Send a message to Insider' you can send me a Private Message.  In order to view your message, I have to come to the forum and look at my Inbox.  To view your Inbox, click the + next to your Screen Name that appears on the right-most Tab.

The PM feature protects / does not expose your personal e-mail address.  This prevents you/us from 3rd parties who might harvest that information.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks for the info, TJC. 

Yes, I'm aware of the private messaging functionality... I've both received and sent messages to Insiders using it.  However, I'd be surprised to hear that Andrew reached out to someone personally vs. posting his response on the forum.

tjcnewyork Platinum

carousel_insiders.gif picture by TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS

Greetings Professor Chiara,

I am also an avid Firefox user!  The recent enhancements have more of an impact on us because several features do not appear optimized for the Firefox browser.  Certain functions display better in Internet Explorer, and look 'funky' in Firefox.

Best example that I've encountered and reported several times is the Missing Toolbar.  When you 'Create A Post' or 'Reply to a Post', a text box opens with a toolbar above it.  The toolbar features various functions that allow you to set 'Font' attributes like 'Bold', 'Italics', 'Underline' and so on.  Frequently, the toolbar looks like the graphic below, i.e. stripped of any icons.  In fact, I had the opportunity to report that earlier this morning!

The behavior is not fatal and does not cause a system crash.  It's a usuability issue that impacts my online experience.  As Stepping Stones notes, it's an "irritation."

There are, however, much more serious defects including Filter by Brand which still does not work after 3 weeks of reporting it.  The example below shows an Advanced Search where City=Orlando and Brand=JW Marriott.

As shown in the results below, Advanced Search returned 1 message with San Francisco!  In other words, the Insider Advanced Search engine delivers unreliable information.  This is just 1 simple example from more than 20+ searches.  More often than not, Advanced Search using Filter by Brands delivers a big fat ZERO.  So, today marks a breakthrough.

If Marriott.com worked with the same level of reliability, booking reservations would be impossible.  Should someone get fired for a missing toolbar?  Nah.  For an unreliable Search by Brand?  You be the judge.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'd be surprised to hear that Andrew reached out to someone personally vs. posting his response on the forum."

Exactly NewHiltonMembr.  It's not a big deal. Based upon the timing of NUHusker's post under "Nuclear Options", Andrew's 4/19 post under "Site Challenges" had already scrolled from view.  Since posts are displayed in chronological order, anyone looking for Andrew's post would have to scroll several pages.  I believe that is the difficulty NUHusker was experiencing.  No one including Marriott (Andrew) can point to a specific post now, so Andrew did do the right thing with a PM, in my opinion.

In agreement with NuHusker's point, the listing of messages in reverse chronological order i.e. the 'newest first' is precisely the default order that makes the most sense in a very active community such as Insiders.  Whoever thought that chronological order should be the default view is mistaken - IMO.

Thanks, TJC, for your great response.  You're absolutely right about how things don't work in Firefox and how frustrating search results can be.  No, I don't really think anyone should be fired either -- that was a moment of despair when I said that.  At the same time, if I taught my classes in this haphazard manner without telling them in advance I was trying something new, there'd be hell to pay.

I just want my community back, so that we can read ALL the responses, not just a select few at a select time.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

"if I taught my classes in this haphazard manner without telling them in advance I was trying something new, there'd be hell to pay.

I just want my community back, so that we can read ALL the responses, not just a select few at a select time."

Professor Chiaro and all,

I just received a phone call from the widow of my deceased friend.  My friend's brothers are headed back to Italy today from JFK and their flight is scheduled to depart on schedule this afternoon.  In their broken English, they conveyed a sense of gratitude. The same appreciation I have for all of you who expressed sympathy and condolences for my loss - and you don't even know me!

Striking a parallel, the statement, 'I just want my community back' underscores what Insiders has achieved in not only engaging participation, but providing common ground where we can connect and share life experience as a community that goes beyond the brands we feel so passionate about.

I agree with NUHusker's comment in Nuclear Options, "I'll do my own thinking and deciding as to when I let Marriott off the hook." In that spirit, let's not let Marriott off the hook!  We can achieve that by providing purposeful feedback with specific examples of what doesn't work and what does.   For example, what are everyone's thoughts about Browse by Topics?

With time on my hands I have always thought that the answer to the search kerfuffle is to have the system branch for us:

When we type in hotels, the system might pop up the various Marriott Brands to the right, then clicking on a brand could present a map or list of places (this could be stored using our favorite hotels in Marriott.com as a guide), then on to another screen with further limiting factors listed (using the older scheme as a model it could be eight categories of even more to include Vacation Club if we'd like to have them appear).

Seems like a reasonable fix?

PS: Is anyone else having the disappearing mouse pointer issue that I am. I can see the cursor but not the mouse pointer itself. This is new to me as of today in  Firefix 3.6.3 beta release, which I am using.

TJC, thank you for responding to my question.  I wish I'd seen it under site challenges, but not surprised that I missed it as I feel exhausted just to be able to reply.  Regarding Andrew's email to me, I took your advice TJC that you offered thru a private message some days ago and sent Andrew a message/complaint.  Although it took him a while to get back to me, he did, and I suspect he's up to his certain body part in alligators.  Anyway here's his reply:

Thanks for the message, NUHUSKER. We've always appreciated your contributions to Insiders, and understand your frustration as a frequent contributor now running in to so many issues. As noted in the message I have sent to the community this morning, our partner has been working diligently to rectify the defects. We understand a roll-back would make the community more comfortable, but at this time with so much in the hands of our partner's platform, which we fear is rather unstable, we worry that such a roll-back could cause deeper defects. We continue to remain in constant contact with our partner as they sort through and fix all of these defects - and as they continue to address any new defects that may arise along the way.

This has also been a very difficult and frustrating process on our end as well. We feel your pain and cannot thank you enough for keeping your faith in the community and Marriott Rewards. On behalf of Marriott Rewards and Marriott Headquarters we truly and sincerely thank you. I'll do my best to keep you and the community abreast of the progress made on restoring Insiders' functionality and of course, respectability.

Regards,

Andrew

I'm sure there's someone out there (TJC, Pingreeman, others) who can decipher Andrews explanation and translate into grits and greens language.

Thank you all.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings NUHusker

Not sure how 'grits and green' I can be, but I'm confident that others will lend a hand.

"As noted in the message I have sent to the community this morning, our partner has been working diligently to rectify the defects."

Andrew is referring to the 4/19 message yesterday morning posted under Site Challenges.  Marriott's web software partner is LIVEWORLD.

"We understand a roll-back would make the community more comfortable, but at this time with so much in the hands of our partner's platform, which we fear is rather unstable, we worry that such a roll-back could cause deeper defects."

Many of us have expressed a clear preference for the look, feel and functions we enjoyed prior to 4/1.  The Marriott team responsible for managing the Insiders website is very concerned about undoing (rolling back) the changes.  The changes are not just look and feel, there are structural changes, some of which have defects causing the system to be unstable.  (i.e. The Internal Server Errors when Creating a Post or Replying.)

"We continue to remain in constant contact with our partner as they sort through and fix all of these defects - and as they continue to address any new defects that may arise along the way."

Many of us have uncovered and reported defects by submitting Feedback.  In the first week, there were defects that contributed to user systems locking up, freezing, becoming unresponsive and even 'crashing'.  These appear to be fixed; but the team is very concerned that undoing the changes will make those errors reappear and possibly introduce new ones.

There are still defects.  Some are cosmetic and relate to the web browser. Others relate to Advanced Search and Filters.  Search by Brand is a major change, but as of today - unreliable and basically unusable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.  Is there a way for me to view all of my posts, not just the last half dozen or so on threads that I've initiated, but all?

tjcnewyork Platinum

NuHusker:

Regrets, not at this time.  How messages are organized is likely one of the major structural changes in the "platform" that Andrew could be referring to.

My 'hunch' is that Andrew reached out to you with a PM since he is unable - like the rest of us - to see all of the messages he has authored either!  Ironic, eh?

From that standpoint, we now know that Andrew is not just listening, he's actually ~experiencing~ the same challenges we are!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"have the system branch for us"

Stepping Stones - Branching is an entirely different concept.  Right now all Insiders messages are in a simple hierarchy. If LiveWorld is challenged with implementing what is basically a  Boolean Search against such a simple hierarchy, I fear that a more complex interface with branching will never get past go.

TJC, thanks, and all good points.

are you having the mouse pointer issue as well?

Sorry, Stepping Stones -- I saw your earlier post about the mouse pointer problem, but since I'm not having that same issue and don't have a clue or suggestion for you, I didn't respond.  I believe you said you use Firefox...so do I so maybe it's not that...???  Good luck.

Thanks NU, I just upgraded to the latestBeta Firefox version tonight and the pointer has magically reappeared so I penned my umpteenth note to Mozilla as part of the frequent crash reporting that I've been doing.

Apparently this is not a Marriott thing just a Firefox thing.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/walkinourshoes.jpg

Dear Marriott Insiders Team,

Everyday for the past 21 days, I've used the Insiders new-enhanced-Advanced-Search-engine with all the bells, filters and whistles hoping that a Search by Brand will work.

Here's the Advanced Search scenario:

City=London

Brand=JW Marriott

Term=Rewards

Here's the Results: ZERO

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchvsAdvSearch-Day21-London-R-1.jpg

What's the timetable for a fix?  What's wrong with Search? The same scenario shown below delivers 5 results.  That's better than ZERO, isn't it?  Why not turn off the new, hide it, ditch it or erase it - until your vendor LiveWorld fixes it?

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchvsAdvSearch-Day21-London-R-2.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SearchvsAdvSearch-Day21-London-R-3.jpg

It's Day 21 of these ~futile~ enhancements.  Thanks in advance for giving your Insiders a break.

Pingreeman and TJC -- Thanks to both for breaking your explanations down into small bite-size pieces.  I only speak for, and identify, myself as being extremely challenged by all things "computer", suspect there are some others out there who appreciate having insiders capable of matching wits with Marriott and its partner.  And, hopefully, they'll get it worked out before the first Saturday in September so I can concentrate on football!  Thanks again to all for your patience, not with Marriott, but with me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...