This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

33 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2010 5:01 PM by profchiara RSS

Site Challenges

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

It appears that nothing at all is happening to return the site to the way it was.  Perhaps another all day meeting of Marriott staff should be called?

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Site Challenges

There is what I believe is a new survey at the top of the Insiders page.  PLEASE TAKE IT if you feel the displeasure so many of us have expressed. Since they seem not to have listened to our posts maybe they will see the results in their survey, where you can also make comments.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Survey is done!  I wish I had an ounce of confidence that anybody at Marriott actually cared about what the vast majority of insiders think of the re-design of the insiders site!  I'm still able to access only a hand-full of my own posts and the same for other posters I like to follow on insiders.  I hope those responsible for fixing the problem aren't getting paid by the hour!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I did the survey and I was honest--as always about the problems that I have seen, but offered some constructive answers to many of them.

kahunapremier Platinum

Nested Tags are a improvement for sure, because you can post directly to the person, instead of the thread.

Hi NUHUSKER,

Same here.  I am so frustrated -- many of the people whose posts I followed regularly seem to have disappeared.  That's why even though I am extraordinarily angry with Marriott I am posting a paragraph or so every so often to try to keep us together.

ProfChiara

Thanks, SteppingStones,

I think if they are listening they could use all the constructive ideas they can get! Would it really be so hard to revert (technically speaking) to the way things were?  Is there anything positive about the new Insiders?

ProfChiara

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

the sad part is that we rerceived 'lip-service' which we all bought into, and it appears that's all it was.  in spitr of our requests for some kind of updates, there has been nothing mentioned since the ballyhoo over the Big meeting....  sad.

Hi all,

In response to Shoeman1000's comments, I agree totally.  They've put up a survey, but I almost missed it when I went to the site.  Why is Marriott not listening to so many of its best customers?  TJC is apparently completely out of contact because they lost all his posts and profile; haven't heard from Jerry Morgan in ages -- because we don't know what sites to check on the new, horrible site.

I am simply a middle-aged college professor, no revolutionary.  But I think we have to keep posting even if only to keep complaining.  I suggest we keep using Site Challenges as our title for whatever site so that we get updates.
    ProfChiara

I think we're all being honest about what a sorry lot of computer people Marriott has working for it.  I know absolutely nothing about how a site like this works, and I'm pretty content with that, but I can't believe that an organization like Marriott can't do any better than this.  I don't think it's us not providing "constructive" feedback, I think it's what shoeman says...all we're getting is lip service.  No more corporate speak and technical hogwash, just Get 'R Done!  To put it in context, just think about if you'd gone two plus weeks at a Marriott hotel with the kind of service this computer team has given us!

ProfChiara  -  I too am middle aged, heavier to the 'aged' than to the middle.  I'm not revolutionary either, but did have some moments in college that were somewhat radicalCool.  I digress.  I would rather hope that the fix necessary takes time and we are a bit over-anxious.  It would not serve their purpose for marriott to ignore some of their best customers.  Also, because I am deficient in all thing IT, I have no choice but to poractice patience.  what other choice do we have? 

Hi Shoeman1000,

I agree, but I feel like I'm at an airport waiting for a flight when the gate agents won't tell you anything.

All it would take is for a person (Mr. Marriott?) to keep us apprised of what, if anything, is happening.

ProfChiara

Hi ProfChiara  -  What a great mataphor!  At least your not mistakenly at the airport when you ship comes in.....

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings all,

A life-long friend and godfather to my son and daugther passed away suddenly.  His widow is also godmother to my children.  News of the loss traveled quickly.  Family members, friends, colleagues and neighbors came from everywhere. As tighknit as we can get virtually online, rev that up by a factor of 100 offline.   

It's less than a week since NewHiltonMembr and Professor Chiara shared some extraordinary stories and photos of experiences in northern Italy.  My deceased friend and his wife are Italian, so when I said it struck a personal chord, it really was more meaningful than I felt comfortable disclosing at the time.

In fact 4 of 5 siblings of the deceased had to pull strings to get passports to travel to the US.  Given the impact of the volcanic ash spreading across Europe, air travel and their return home is an uncertainty.  At the funeral Mass this morning, I delivered a eulogy in English while a family member translated into Italian as I spoke.  Needless to say, it's been a very emotional time.

I have been following the lack of progress that we have noted.  Like Pingreeman, I have a software product background and have been testing various 'features' daily.  There are some very serious challenges with Advanced Search and Filters. The 'enhancements' are a setback.  I would be happy to post the defects uncovered, but uncertain what value that might have to all of you. 

All the best 

TJCNewYorK  -  My heartfelt condolences.  All of us wondered when you have been.  Hang in there, we all know what you're going through and feel your pain. 

sincerely

Shoeman

TJ:  You have given their family a remembrance of a great person. All of us in this family of Marriott Rewards Insiders wish their family and yours peace and comfort in this trying time.

TJC,

I am so, so sorry for your loss, but glad that our photos helped a bit.  I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to post my Siena pictures but will make sure to do so today.

Please know that we're all feeling for you -- which shows what a great site Marriott originally created, however much that is starting to seem like a distant memory.

ProfChiara

Hi all,

Here are a few photos from Siena, including the Duomo, the Palazzo Pubblico, the Piccolomini Library and a view of the duomo from lower in the city.

ProfChiara

Professor, you have a new career waiting at National Geographic!  Great shots with excellent composition--thanks for posting them.

Once the Photo Albums feature on the Insiders site is enabled we can anticipate many more.

I use Picasa's web album feature for photo posting, but it would be nice to be able to do it on Insiders as well.

Thanks again and keep sending them!

Many thanks, SteppingStones!  Most of my photography is for my classes or my books, but I find it to be a lot of fun.  I consider digital photography to be one of the greatest of recent inventions and take hundreds of photos on every trip.

While Florence is amazing, I prefer Siena.  The Duomo in Siena is glorious inside, though often too dark for successful photos without a tripod.  The exception is the Piccolomini Library (with the scenes from Pope Pius II's life, commissioned by his nephew Pius III).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed them!
    ProfChiara

Help me out! When I look at my profile and click on view all of my posts I get to see only a handfull of posts with the most recent showing from Jan.  Even when I click on view all posts from other insiders, such as TJC New York, only a few show up.  Am I still the only one "confused" by this new site design?  And is there any update from Marriott?

Molto Bene as they say

tjcnewyork Platinum

"a few photos from Siena"

Absolutely breathtaking!  Can I audit your class?

tjcnewyork Platinum

"only a few show up"

NUHusker,

In the new Insiders structure, only the Topics which you initiated are displayed under 'My Profile'.  As Pingreeman and others have noted, only 10%, possibly less of your actual activity is displayed.

You bet you can audit my classes -- just take a side trip to central Maine!

I'm also going to start a new thread called MARRIOTT PLEASE RESPOND (and yes, I'll be using shouting capitals).

As so many have said, after their big day long meeting to 'resolve' issues we've heard nothing.

ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

TJC,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.  My deepest condolences.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Professor,

Terrific photos!  Many thanks!  Isn't the Piccolomini Library magnificent?

Hi NewHilton,

The Piccolomini Library is one of the most beautiful and least known gems in Europe.  I know people who have gone into Siena's beautiful Duomo and not even gone in the library.

Thank you so much for your wonderful photos!  I was traveling for a couple of days without email and didn't get a chance to respond.

Best,

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Prof Chiara

Are you noticing that messages in the Marriott Rewards forum only are listed newest first/reverse chrono order?  In this thread, it's still chrono order.

Maybe their testing on an incremental basis?  Am I imagining?  It does not appear to be consistent.  Some threads are newest to oldest, others are not.  Someone please confirm!

Thanks

Hi TJC,

You're right -- I just checked.  This could be a real sign of progress, since the oldest to newest version on this Forum is ridiculous.

Let's cross our fingers!

ProfChiara

klaus29 Silver

TJC

tout mes condoleances for the loss

de un etre cher.

i know only today

tjcnewyork Platinum

Prof Chiara

Thanks.  I can see the logic of listing Reservations on Marriott.com in chronological order.  THAT, makes sense.  To list messages in an active discussion in chronological order does not make sense.

Now, should "View All Posts' be 'View Some Posts'?

tjcnewyork Platinum

Klaus and all,

Thank you for the condolences and kind words.  The sudden passing of my friend put a lot of stuff on hold for more than a week.

Mutual lifelong friends from Europe and countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea who also knew the deceased sent DVDs of various gatherings dating back nearly 25 years.  Watching them brought back many memories of very happy times.

"Site challenges" make the Insiders experience less than expectations.  Chasing after content is not how I want to spend my time.  it's really tough to be productive.

Hang in there, TJC.  We may have to be difficult, challenging, and sometimes mad, but I do believe Marriott will hear us.  I know the feeling of loss and hope you can go back and visit the sites you shared with your friend.

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...