12 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 9:26 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Marriott Hotel prices

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott prices are going up too!  I just went to book a room in May at a Marriott I stay at every week.  The rate is up 20%!!  Wow.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Marriott Hotel prices
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

If you stay there every week, have you tried negotiating a discounted rate with them?

Granted, the rate may need to be negotiated each year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thanks  -  yes I did.  They were reluctant at the time to offer me anything.  I couldn't offer the kind of nights they like to see to offer a deal.  Maybe I will try again.  Nonetheless, it amazes me that they would be in a position to raise rates at this time.  Especially when there is a brand new Hilton just down the road 2 exits and it is now about 30% less per night. 

suiteswarrior Silver 4 Reviews
    1. Yes, I totally agree....I had a very difficult time finding a reasonable rate in the city of New York.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Can you give the hotel a guarantee of nights for the year and days that you'll be staying. Sunday and Thursday nights seem to be more reasonable and if your schedule permits maybe they will bend a little.

Larger hotels have comparison rates done for them by third parties and they do not want to  be out front of or behind rate changes.  Must be a sign that the economy (or at least the cost of a room) is moving upward again?

stepping stones  - I think you're right on target.  as far as the sundays and thursdays, those are two night I try to not be staying in an hotel.  My usual night out are mon-wed, sometimes thursday, almost never, sunday.   

Dear Shoeman1000

I know that business hotels are begging (sometimes) for folks to stay those particular nights, and that in some cases they will accommodate special rate requests.

In their view and mine too, it is better to have a room occupied at less than rack rate than not occupied at all. There is a cost for every room, occupied or not, and the objective is to reduce unoccupied rooms whenever possible.

Thanks

Hey Stepping Stones   -  I, for one am wondering the signifigance of your change of Icon.  Any relevance?  Lokks like a nice car leaving a carwash. 

Inside joke:  It's a Bentley leaving the drive thru at a local In'N'Out Burger here in sunny California.  Where else can someone driving a quarter of a million dollar car get a Double Double (hint-a burger with two patties and two cheeses), fries and a Coke for under 6$? This is the place!

stepping stones  - got it!  been there, love the burgers.  nice touch. 

Thanks Shoeman, there was an hour long show on the California PBS stations -- California Gold, that for the first time went inside the In'N'Out company and told their "secrets"  such as good customer service, a fine product and continuous improvement.  Stacy Perman of Business Week also did an excellent unauthorized story about them.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott prices are going up too!  I just went to book a room in May at a Marriott I stay at every week.  The rate is up 20%!!"

Shoeman - With site challenges, defects and online experiences failing expectations for more than 45 days now, this article although relevant never got posted:  Marriott International Grows, Rates Drop, and Guests Return in 2010

Low supply and increased demand will drive rates upwards, but a 20% rise compared to forecasts of 5% suggests that you booked in a very active market area.  Is the 20% spike due to the upcoming Memorial Day holiday?

TJC -  you broke the code, sort of.   It's up the road from you, Stamford Connecticut  It has a large built in business with UBS out of town personell.  The Hilton cut me a rate of $169,was  but $185 was the best I could get from Marriott.  I stayed with Marriott out of loyalty, but now the rate has increased to $219 and Hilton is still $169.  The Hilton property used to be a Westin and is very nice.  The Marriott property is old, but redone.  still needs more work. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...