5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2010 11:21 AM by anadyr RSS

Canada takes away the perks

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to this article, some Canadian companies have just now realized that the points and miles that their employees heretofore have been able to keep for themselves are an expensive thing.

Some of these companies now confiscate the points or worse yet, force the employee to pay for his or her participation in the frequent stayer programs tied to company issued credit cards!

Well, the idea is still north of the US border and let's hope it stays there.  Sorry to all you folks in our neighbor to the North and hope that common sense prevails soon and this policy dies on the vine!

I know that some US firms have followed suit and that's too bad. Seems to me that this is one small advantage in a slew of disadvantages of having to be on the road all the time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Canada
  • Re: Canada takes away the perks
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I've read of companies in the U.S. taking this approach for a number of years now. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Ironically government employees have had the opposite happen: allowing them to earn and keep FF miles and Points when in the past it was against the Joint Travel Regulations to do so.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Stepping stones  -  sorry to say, NewHilton is correct.  US companies have been doing this for years.  Canada has just now caught on. 

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've heard of that here, I believe Catapiler is one of the US based companies that does not allow its employees to amass points.  I believe their system is even more restrictive in that they book all travel (air/car/hotel) and negotiate rates that do not include miles/points.  Failure to use their system == you dont get paid for the trip.

I'll tell ya this, if my company ever moves in that direction (a house of consultants), it will be the last day I and most of the firm work there

One of the few "perks" of being a road warrior is being able to enjoy the downtime with family/friends and in places that you want to do it.

Hear, hear!  A company that makes life on the road less inviting is one that I would certainly not work for.

Points and miles have NO monetary value to the company, they belong to the traveler, and can only be used, in most cases, by that traveler.  Thus, not allowing the accumulation of points does not effect the bottom line, only morale!

Can we keep score of those companies that do not allow accumulation of points or miles?  Love to have a wall of shame with their names on it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...