0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2010 6:58 PM by anadyr RSS

PR as a good tool

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was struck (not literally but figuratively speaking) by this article in a trade journal about the lack of Public Relations (PR) savvy or plans that most hotels (as individual hotel locations not chains) admit to.

PR is a funny (as in ironic) thing:  good PR brings folks in the door, and bad PR--well we all have seen what one large auto maker has recently suffered when the news just keeps on coming about electronic and mechanical defects and the lack of instant fixes.

Perception management is one part of good PR.  When I was PR chief for a 7000 person organization I was amazed at the lack of sensitivity (on the part of the 6999 other folks) to what people were saying about us, and that we were not saying something first.  Hopefully I changed that.

So, bottom line advice for hoteliers:  Keep your name in the news for good reasons. Make the news, do not react to it.  Differentiate yourself from the crowd.  All that being said, even the best PR program falls short if the hype is not backed up by the brand performance and service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...