3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2017 9:20 AM by kathcrank RSS

Why no in-room safes?

luxinsider Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While I certainly haven't stayed at many limited service hotels in the US, one thing I don't like about them is the lack of in-room safes (at least those properties I have stayed at). Why don't they upgrade those brands with in-room safes? Seems like competitors like (at least pricewise) Radisson or Crowne Plaza feature them in many or most properties. At least for me, it often is one of the criteria in choosing a property since as a non-US citizen, I prefer leaving my travel documents in a safe as opposed to carrying them along all the time. But it doesn't only concern passports etc: I'm not really comfortable leaving other valuables like laptops or cameras unlocked in the room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Why no in-room safes?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Many full service Marriotts and Vacation Club properties have in room safes. While state laws vary in the US in many locations, the hotel is required to provide safe deposit boxes for guest use.  They are normally at reception, or the front desk, and available 24 hours per day.

Interesting question and thanks for the post.  Let us know where you find these safes and we'll keep a tally.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree that I'd like to see in-room safes in the US properties.  And, although, there are safes at the front desks, it is inconvenient to go back and forth, produce identification, wait for the staff to retreive the safe, fill out forms, etc. 

Most European properties have them in room.

I used to carry my jewelry and valuables in my briefcase to the office each day (prior to this year, now I'm working from home).

kathcrank Member

According to me, for ensuring a complete peace of mind and happiness for an important per-requisite would be keeping the hotel modernized in terms of security aspects and hotel room safes or in-room safes is the best way to maintain the security. Installing safes in every room of the hotel not only increases the confidence guests. Carrying valuables like iPods, laptops, passports, etc. is very natural. But you can't carry all these stuffs alongwith you all the time. Thus, depositing all these stuff into safes while you are away from the hotel is a good idea and also avoid problem like misplacing them. I don't think going to hotels having no in-room safes is a good idea.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...